Cyberlight CX Transformer

JHEventLightingJHEventLighting Registered User
edited September 2013 in Misc. Discussion
Hello there! This is my first post on this forum so hello to everybody. I have recently acquired a single Cyberlight CX, mainly for my own personal enjoyment, fond memories and all that. I may use it in a design one day :) It is a LWR badged model from 1998 it would seem, in great condition and runs very well. Except.. the transformer and 13a plug run very hot (the fixture is fitted with a 16a plug naturally, but I have a newly made by me, 13 to 16a adapter on it, so I can recondition the unit at home). *It doesn't get hot where the 16a plug and socket go together* Now, as for the transformer itself; it doesn't look too good. Baked is how I would describe it visually. As I say, light output is very good and nothing catches fire :), but, a hot 13a plug is not right at 5a draw per fixture? is it? I should say, I did read in the manual, the 'windings' can run at upto 180 deg centigrade, which I assume, is reference to the transformer. And lastly there is a sticker on the side of the unit, from a historical service, left behind by a technician, denoting corresponding transformer pickups from the main PCB. So, I would say at least, the main assembly has possibly been removed, if not the transformer replaced or altered. Can anyone tell me what might be the scenario here, and also fill me in on faults and problems these lovely units develop, esp with regards to the big end :)

Cheers

Jake

p.s. sorry if I have broken any forum rules, I did so on my first post at Naim audio once :o:tapedshut:

Comments

• tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited November 2012
    Are you speaking of the actual low voltage transformer, or the ballast? And have you checked the power factor cap? They fade with time, all will cause current consumption to go up . . .

- Tim
  • JHEventLightingJHEventLighting Registered User
    edited November 2012
    Hi there tim, I realise I may have posted in the wrong forum, i'm fairly sure i'm not refering to the ballast, i'm refering to the transformer behind the reflector. How can I check the power factor cap?

Cheers
    edited November 2012
    On the High End site, there is an exploded view of the Cyber, and if key #11 is what you are thinking of (and I am pretty sure it is) then it's likely the low voltage transformer, as you suspect. Considering that that is fused, it's unlikely the power input could go up that much with the fuses intact, so I doubt it's your problem. Transformers are passive devices, and short of an open (total loss of a voltage) or short (likely a fuse clear) they just don't fail in odd ways, and the color really means very little if they are still working. All you can see is the outer wrapping, which is not the primary insulation in the transformer anyhow . . . So, for a working fixture, I'd put his low on my list.

On the cap, the best way would be a capacitor tester, although I am sure that some others will have other ways to test. These are a common failure part, though, so if you have another fixture or cap you can swap in, that's the most certain test.

You don't mention what voltage you are feeding it, but also be sure that you have your voltage jumpers set correctly . . .

- Tim
  • tojam99tojam99 Registered User
    edited May 2013
    Does anyone know the approx weight of the Cyberlight Ballast?

And, the approx weight distribution in a Cyber?

We know the cyber weighs 101lbs, but is 90lbs just in the rear end?

Regards
    edited May 2013
    All I can say is that my Turbos pretty much balance on the yoke, so I woupd call it at more like 70/40 or so. There is a lot of stuff in front as well.

- Tim
  • michaelabeiytamichaelabeiyta Registered User
    edited September 2013
    But how do you balance it?
    edited September 2013
    You don't - they are designed and built to be as in balance as they need to be . . .