TouchOSC template

michandrzmichandrz Registered User
Since I've seen a lot of posts about this I thought I'd be nice and share. Save somebody else some work.

I based these of off the "old" hog3 wings. This is for the ipad

A few "release notes". As per my last post, if you are using the PC version encoders and faders will not work. As such I've not been able to actually test them (someone with a console wanna try it out?).

Right now I only have first 10 faders programed into it, but when i get some time I'll add a few more fader pages and if there is enough interest i'll make an ipod/phone version

Oh and this one uses the OSC functions NOT the Midi notes

Comments

• Firewood1Firewood1 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited November 2012
    Brilliant, thanks for sharing this.

I will be very keen to see how your work compares with the layouts that HES themselves have been making.
    edited November 2012
    Just tried the OSC for the first time having previously used RDM Remote Desktop.

This is so much more responsive. With the RDM I had to type slowly otherwise it couldn't keep up. With this it is perfect.

I take it with the layout editor you can't fit 10 masters and a Grand Master?

Thanks again.
  • michandrzmichandrz Registered User
    edited November 2012
    Firewood1;63588 said:
    Just tried the OSC for the first time having previously used RDM Remote Desktop.

This is so much more responsive. With the RDM I had to type slowly otherwise it couldn't keep up. With this it is perfect.

I take it with the layout editor you can't fit 10 masters and a Grand Master?

Thanks again.
    it could, but that's not the way the hog system i was working on operated
    I based it off this wing which, had 10 faders one that turned it's self into a GM:
    http://www.solarisnetwork.com/item_25830
  • ShrunkenNedShrunkenNed Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited November 2012
    HES Touch OSC Ipad templates are live on website now!
    edited November 2012
    ShrunkenNed;63596 said:
    HES Touch OSC Ipad templates are live on website now!
    Well, at least it was a learning experience! lol
    edited November 2012
    I feel bad for you after you put in all the time to make those templates!

Just to pick up on the fader thing though, I was confused because you had put 5 encoders and the ALL key on the programming page. As for your other page, had the HES not just come out, I would have suggested you make the Grand Master fader 1, then label the remaining 9 as 2 thru 10, to replicate more accurately the behaviour of the wing you have copied.

I'm going to have a go at making a page that is just a keypad with a clear key, for an iPhone, so that it's a really simple little remote just for bringing channels up...unless HES have already done that....I have only seen the iPad version so far...
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited November 2012
    Colin, there is only the iPad Version.
    No iPhone version.
    edited November 2012
    MLorenz;63609 said:
    Colin, there is only the iPad Version.
    No iPhone version.
    He was talking about the ones HES made and there is iphone versions from them.
    edited November 2012
    HES have indeed made exactly what I was talking about, which is a template for the iPhone which is just a keypad, with clear, blind etc.

Trouble is i'm selling my iPhone as I have a Galaxy S3 now....so I have been looking for ways to get the HES templates into the Android Touch OSC app. It seems that it is possible, with a lot of faffing about.
    edited November 2012
    Firewood1;63611 said:
    HES have indeed made exactly what I was talking about, which is a template for the iPhone which is just a keypad, with clear, blind etc.

Trouble is i'm selling my iPhone as I have a Galaxy S3 now....so I have been looking for ways to get the HES templates into the Android Touch OSC app. It seems that it is possible, with a lot of faffing about.
    From my understanding, it's not possible with the standard touchOSC on android to load your own templates. However, I can't remember where I heard of an alternative app that does allow you to.
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited November 2012
    edited November 2012
    Thanks Marc,

I spent a VERY long time messing about with this yesterday, installing the many different system updates to even be able to install the various software to encode the files.

The end result was that I managed to get the HES layouts encoded and put into the Android app. However, they are not opening correctly. Android Touch OSC does not support text labels, which I knew, but rather than just leave them out, it seems like their presence in the code is messing it up.

I will next try to make my own layout in Touch OSC Editor, and then add that to the code.

Watch this space....it's such a faff though, I just wish Touch OSC for Android would just crack on and bring it up to the level of the Apple release.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited November 2012
    Firewood1;63620 said:
    ....it's such a faff though, I just wish Touch OSC for Android would just crack on and bring it up to the level of the Apple release.
    Agreed.
    There is another free OSC Android app called "Control" that uses JSON files (JavaScript).
    I've got the HES templates successfully converted to the ".js" format (an easy hack actually), but they are not loading properly yet in Control.
    I think I may have found the issue, but won't have more time to work on it till later this week.
  • datadriverdatadriver Registered User, HES Staff
    edited November 2012
    Marty Postma;63621 said:

There is another free OSC Android app called "Control" that uses JSON files (JavaScript).

The iOS version of "Control" has been inter-op tested ok against Hog4 in our lab:)
  • Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited November 2012
    OSC templates are now on the Flyingpig website.

http://www.flyingpig.com/support/downloads/thirdparty.shtml
    edited November 2012
    michael_graham;63878 said:
    OSC templates are now on the Flyingpig website.

http://www.flyingpig.com/support/downloads/thirdparty.shtml

A little late on that one :p, however you might wanna check this these two related:

http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=13806
    http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=13901
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited December 2012
    Chris Davis, in another thread you posted:
    datadriver;62776 said:
    The Hog4 OSC interface is bi-directional, meaning that the console will also pump out status that some 3rd party apps understand. This includes fader movements and LED indications, so if you have fader and LED widgets on TouchOSC they will sync up/blink just like the Hog4.
    I got OSC Touch working with my Hog4, but I do not see any LED indicators or faders moving. What 3rd party app do I need for this to work?
    edited December 2012
    Nevermind. I think I found it.
    edited December 2012
    Nope, I still can't get LED indicators or faders to respond.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited December 2012
    datadriver;63829 said:
    The iOS version of "Control" has been inter-op tested ok against Hog4 in our lab:)
    Thanks for the help testing this Chris. I'm still having issues getting my Android device to actually get OSC messages delivered to my H4PC, but as we discussed it may be a networking issue on my end.....thought for the life of me and all the UDP Port troubleshooting I've gone through I still can't make it work.

At any rate I'm going to make my JSON template for Control available public in a separate thread.
    Maybe someone else will have better luck than me.
    edited December 2012
    barnes2000;63970 said:
    Nope, I still can't get LED indicators or faders to respond.

To get OSC messages back to your device, be sure to have OSC output enabled on your Hog4 and to have the correct IP address, port number for your device.
    edited December 2012
    barnes2000;63967 said:
    What 3rd party app do I need for this to work?

By this I mean any OSC application external to Hog4. Reports from the field indicate TouchOSC for iOS as the most reliable. Personally, I have used that and "Control" for iOS.

What are you using?
    edited December 2012
    I'm using TouchOSC. i thought I did set up the OSC Output enabled. I'll try again when I get mey console back. Thanks Chris.
    edited December 2012
    barnes2000;63990 said:
    i thought I did set up the OSC Output enabled.

One other thing - be sure there is not a switch device(X) between the
    wireless router used by TouchOSC and the Hog4 that might be restricting UDP traffic from Hog4 back through(X).

Example: In our lab there is a WiFi router for employees but there is something else(X) between it and the Hogs on the engineering network.

The issue is that (X) allows UDP traffic one way, but not bi-directional. For testing purposes we always plug a Hog directly into the wireless and then we are good to go.