DL3 Throw Distance

Hi all,

I presently work in a medium sized arena in the US. The TD is considering purchasing new fixtures soon and is considering the DL3. Since the fixture will need to be able to throw the image/light 90' or more, is this even possible? To give you a better idea, this venue hosts mostly college sports events. The home team always has an introductory video with light show accompaniment. Personally, I am excited about the opportunities this fixture would give, but I am concerned about the throw distance. It would most likely be projecting onto a hardwood court that has a lacquered finish that is very reflective, or on the walls, which are white, but have texture variations that may have detrimental effects to the image. What do you guys think? Also, how good is the internal camera? :1zhelp:
  • It is completely possible to throw 90' or more with the DL.3.
    What you need to consider is how large and bright of an image you need at that throw distance.

Both the Long Throw and Ultra-Long Throw lens options for the DL.3 will be usable at that distance. The Long will be able to give you larger images, but the Ultra-Long will give you brighter images (as per the inverse square law).

There are a lot of options for correcting an image via the DL.3s server. Have a look through the manual and see if you think any of them will address the specific issues you think you might have.

What do you intend to do with the camera? It is a Sony Super HAD.

Hope this helps. :)
  • The DL3 has great range even when using in outdoor venues, I would say for Indoors anywhere from 90' to 120' depending on how bright you want your projection to be. For outdoor Venues I would say no farther than 75' before you start to notice a significant luemins drop. Oasis of the Seas RCI, uses 2 DL3 in their outdoor Aqua Theatre they are positioned approx 75' from the 10m dive platforms on stage and they seem to be at there limit for punch.

DL3 is a great fixture for projections preferably a indoor fixture unless you have a water tight case for it.

Photo: When I worked on the Oasis of the Seas this past Spring, example of DL3 getting maintained in there bubbles.

Ps. Oasis of the Seas uses Hog 3 Consoles and Axon video Processors for DL3's

Hope this was helpful.

Yours, Kent