Hog 3 DMX Widget question

LightGuy48LightGuy48 Registered User
I purchased a used Hog 3 widget, the older style with the blue anodized finish. When I try to assign the Widget it says 'Needs Upgrade'. I'm confused because it is a Hog 3 widget so why would it need an update to run on Hog 3 PC?

Second question, if I try to run Hog 2 PC it never sees the widget at all in the config screen. I thought a Hog 3 Widget was backwards compatible to Hog 2 PC?

Thanks

Comments

• LightGuy48LightGuy48 Registered User
    edited September 2012
    I forgot to mention this is a Win 7 64 bit machine. I don't know if that would make any difference.
  • whitleyrichardwhitleyrichard Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited September 2012
    window 7 64 bit system can only run Hog3PC, it does not have the drivers for the widget to run Hog2PC.. So basically the Hog2PC program will run but will not see the widget..

secondly some of the blue "Hog 3" widgets need to be upgraded.. I have a blue one myself and it was upgraded before i bought it thankfully.. hope this helps you out in some way
    edited September 2012
    Thanks, I just put the Widget on an XP box and discovered the same thing, that 2PC runs just fine on XP :sigh: Well this is just dandy, can't make it work either way.

What is the current 'upgrade' price for a 2 to 3 upgrade?
    edited September 2012
    not sure.. im guessing $200-$300?? might wanna ask one of the high end guys on here or just give them a call.. I have a friend who runs the blue widget with hog 2pc on a Vista system if that helps at all
    edited September 2012
    I'm downloading the XP Virtualization software, but I'm wondering if the architecture of XP virtualized under Win 7 x64 will still prevent it from working... I guess my next option is to try a dual-boot configuration. I have a show on Hog 2 that I would prefer to not have to rebuild on Hog 3 and am I correct that there is no way to import a Hog 2 show to Hog 3. I seem to recall that being discussed several time...
    edited September 2012
    good luck! thats to much computer knowledge for me haha. as far as i know you can not import a show from hog 2 to hog 3..
    edited September 2012
    Well if what I read is correct, XP Virtual mode on Win 7 x64 DOES in fact produce a 32 bit OS to the application, the big question will be can it 'see' the USB ports to function properly. The other thing is you must have a computer/hardware capable of supporting virtualization mode, basically Intel i3, i5, and i7 core processors, which I have as well.

I'm downloading the application now, will know more tomorrow when I have time to install it and test it.
  • edited September 2012
    LightGuy48 wrote: »
    I have a show on Hog 2 that I would prefer to not have to rebuild on Hog 3 and am I correct that there is no way to import a Hog 2 show to Hog 3.

Get in touch with support, they can convert your Hog 2 showfile to a Hog 3 family showfile. Depending on how complex your show is, it may require some touch up after conversion.

We generally don't recommend the use of virtualization software for live shows. That includes VMware, Parallels, Win7's XP Mode, etc. It's best to run the OS natively, dual-booting if necessary.

If you decide you want to use Hog3PC, you'll need to purchase a Hog3PC Widget Upgrade Kit, HES part number 61040051. Any dealer should be able to help you with this.
  • MitchMitch Registered User, HES Staff
    edited September 2012
    One thing to add that hasn't been mentioned. When installing Hog 3 PC V.3.2.x on a PC, it will disable the drivers Hog 2 PC was using for the widgets. Basically Hog 2 PC will not work on a PC that has Hog 3 PC V.3.2.x installed after. The reason is the drivers are completely new in V.3.2 and they are not compatible with Hog 2 PC.

In order to have Hog 2 PC and Hog 3 PC work on the same machine, Hog 3 PC must remain at V.3.1.9. If you have already installed V.3.2 and disabled Hog 2 PC, you can reinstall V.3.1.9 and Hog 2 PC should also work again.

The widgets that need an upgrade were released prior to Hog 3 PC being released and only work with Hog 2 PC. These widgets serial number will start with 25.
    edited September 2012
    Ok, thanks, I appreciate all the info on this. I'll play with it some more this weekend.
    edited September 2012
    I know this is off thread for Hog 3 issues but I did get my Hog 2 PC working in XP Virtual mode on Win 7x64. Works very well, no DMX lag that I can detect.

One small issue is with the stage output screen, it refreshes about once per second, however, if I move my mouse it refreshes all the time, not quite sure what that is about but I'm assuming it some kind of IRQ handling issue between the mouse and video hardware.

Now to get my Widget upgraded for Hog 3 PC.