Updating DP8K Headaches

When did updating a DP become such a headache? Maybe it's me. I remember a time when I would plug a DP2K into a show and if it had old software, the console would simply reload the proper software onto the DP and all was good. I have just tried updating my second Dp8K in two days to 3.2.5 and neither of them would update completely. I have tried reloading from the console, force loading from the console, force loading from a bootable usb stick....not one of them worked. The first DP8K didn't seem to respond to anything, just stayed on the DP8000 logo and wouldn't even attempt to update. The next one actually did attempt to update the software, but got to a point during boot up that it was just stop and then reboot again, and again, and again, and again, until I pulled all my hair out. I have successfully updated many DP8Ks, some with ease, but most have always been a headache. Am I wrong? Wasn't it easier to do this in builds past? It seems like now, if you have any kind of custom network settings, you have to go and reset to default in order to update it. I am waiting on a third DP8K to show up. Hopefully the third time is, in deed, the charm.
  • I get the best results when I update with a blank show, DHCP turned on, Console or HOGPC as DHCP-Server, Standard Network Settings

But I must admit that with DP2000 it was much easier...
  • Hi Scott,

I am experiencing the same issue with my DP8000 trying to update to v3.2.5. My DP8000 will now not boot up and gets stuck in a loop like you describe. It gets as far as saying "Low control: RX/TX" and then after a while reboots....again, and again!

How did you resolve this? Fortunately I am in the office with the console and not doing this on site, so not in a mad panic about it yet!

Some High End input here would be gratefully received please. There's clearly an issue with this that needs addressing.

I logged into my show and the console told me my DP8000 was still running v3.2.3. It asked me to update, I followed the commands to do so and now it's currently useless....please help.

Cheers

Colin
  • One thing is if there is a switch between the console and DP, sometimes these will cause problems and connecting directly with a crossover Ethernet cable may work better. If the IP addresses are setup properly, with the DP connected directly to the console and a show loaded on the console, unpower the DP. Press and hold the three buttons on the front panel and repower the DP. Immediately you should see Forcing Software Reload and you can release the buttons. This should cause the software update.
    You can call us in the office and someone can go over a few things with you. 512-836-2242.
  • Thanks Mitch,

I will try first of all taking my switch out of the system and connecting directly. If this doesn't work I will get back in touch.

Cheers

Colin
  • Right, I have finally got it to update and at risk of looking stupid I wanted to post again so that anyone making the same error will know what to do.

I ended up using a direct connection with a crossover cable. In the network settings I enabled DHCP Servers and also Boot Server and then used default network settings. Then after forcing a firmware reload it did it. The one thing I hadn't got selected earlier was the boot server, so I am sure this was my main issue. It may well have worked first time with my network switch connected....i'll find out next time I have to do this as this was my first time updating my DP.

Anyway, all sorted, thanks for your help Mitch. Hopefully if anyone has the same trouble they will learn from my mistake.

Is there anyway in the future the software could help this process out a little by alerting the user if key settings are not selected that are crucial to performing the update? Just a thought.

Cheers

Colin
  • I tried for a few hours and ended up having to use a USB thumbdrive.
    No matter what I tried the DP8000 would keep getting stuck in a loop.

USB however worked on the first try.
Related