full boar hognet

bsbjuicerbsbjuicer Registered User
edited September 2012 in Wholehog 3 Networking Help
Hello, anyone have an idea why the Hognet on a Road Hog Full Boar running 3.2.2 never starts on the first bootup of the console. It always takes an initial boot, then reboot (red button or on-off switch) for the Hognet to become operational. The RHFB is connected to a router and everything has static IP addresses. (the router is always fully powered before the RHFB is turned on) Hmmmmmmm.

Bryan

Comments

• Unknown Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    edited September 2012
    You're going to need to provide a lot more detail for anyone to help you.

What do you mean my "Become Operational"? What's happening, or not happening?

Does the console show link lights?

Does the network switch show link lights for the port that the console is connected to?

10, 100, or 1000 megabit?

What else is on the network?
  • bsbjuicerbsbjuicer Registered User
    edited September 2012
    Hi Eric,
    RHFB direct connected to router. No lights on the Hognet output on the first startup, as well as IP address setting itself to the loopback address instead of the static IP address I gave it. Gigabit router. Nothing else directly connected. On second startup the Hognet lights turn on, the static IP address shows up and everything is fine. What gives?
  • Unknown Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    edited September 2012
    You'll need to do a lot of the standard network troubleshooting. Try different cables and switches. Try disabling auto-negotiation on your switch and statically setting it to 1000 megabit full duplex, or 100 megabit full duplex.
    edited September 2012
    Been through that. If I use a switch it is unmanaged. Have used various cables. The router is set up to reserve an IP address for the board.

Bryan
  • MitchMitch Registered User, HES Staff, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited September 2012
    Can you describe the system? What is connected to the network in addition to the console and router?
    Any chance the console is also setup to be a DHCP Server as well as the router? Having more than one DHCP Server will cause problems.
    How are the settings configured in the Network tab of the console's Control Panel? What is selected?
    As a test you can bypass the router and connect the console directly to the DP or whatever you are connecting to using a crossover Ethernet cable and see if you get better results. If this helps you may swap the router for an Ethernet switch if you have multiple devices connected.
    edited September 2012
    Hi Mitch,
    DHCP off on the console, I use the router for all that. During startup I power on the router first and make sure it is fully active, then start the RHFB. The only DP on the system is the internal one. Two pieces of hardware, one cable. After rebooting the console a second time Hognet lights turn on, it shows the static IP address. Load the show, then I connect my wireless remote as a client. I have tried this both with and without a switch (unmanaged switch). Still not sure why no Hognet on first startup, then Hognet on for second startup.

Bryan
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited September 2012
    How are you rebooting the desk?

Are you using the power switch on the back near the power cord or the red button on the top?
    edited September 2012
    The red button on top.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited September 2012
    I would try a full power clear (power switch instead of red button).
    When working on the FB I've seen all kinds of strange and inconsistent things happen when booting up with the red button, so I just stay away from it entirely.
    Hopefully this works for you. :)