How to remote control a Roadhog with a Lightcommander 48

Hi,

I'm asked to remote control a Roadhog with a MaLighting Lightcommander 48.
I suppose i have to use a midi link but I've never done this. And i know nothing about midi control.

First thing : Do I only need a midi cable ?

Can someone tell me how to plug the two boards together and link faders ?

Another question : Can I link as many faders as I want or is it limited ?

I hope I'm clear enough.
Thank you very much.
  • What are you trying to accomplish?

Do you have the conventionals programmed on the Lightcommander, and the movers on the hog, and you want to run both consoles from a single go button?

Are you trying to sync both consoles to the same timecode source?

Do you want to use the Lightcommander as a stage manager's console to run cues on the Hog?

Without more details about your setup, and what you'd like it to do, we can't give you meaningful advice.
  • [QUOTE=ericthegeek;62000]What are you trying to accomplish?

Do you have the conventionals programmed on the Lightcommander, and the movers on the hog, and you want to run both consoles from a single go button?

Are you trying to sync both consoles to the same timecode source?

Do you want to use the Lightcommander as a stage manager's console to run cues on the Hog?

Without more details about your setup, and what you'd like it to do, we can't give you meaningful advice.

You're right. Sorry about that.
    My conventionals fixtures are on the Lightco and the moving fixtures on the Hog. The technician i will host just asked to have the possibility to remotely control the Roadhog through the Lightcommander in the case he doesn't have enough time to get used to the Roadhog. (which he never used before)
    I think he wants to use the Lightcommander as a stage manager's console to run cues on the Hog.

Thanks for your help.
  • I skimmed the manual for the Lightcommander, and it's not a particularly powerful console. Its MIDI options are very limited. It sends every button press and fader move on the console as a MIDI Control Change message, and you can remotely press buttons and move faders on the console by playing back the same Control Change messages. There's no support for MIDI Show Control (MSC) or MIDI Timecode (MTC) in the Lightcommander that I can see.

Without MTC or MSC, there's no real clean way to let you run cues on the Hog from the Lightcommander. You might be able to glue something together with an external MIDI sequencer or converter box that takes the button presses from the Lightcommander and Sends the appropriate MSC to the Hog, but it's not going to work very well.

Going the other way you could trigger the Lightcommander by entering the appropriate MIDI messages as Macros on the Hog, but that would be far more of a hassle then learning the Hog.

The two consoles are worlds apart in the capabilities and sophistication. If the visiting technician is techno-phobic, it may be best to just give him/her a playback wing with spike tape clearly indicating the master go button. In the end it will be a lot easier to just do it from the Hog than trying to cobble something together.

If that really don't work, you can consider a DMX merger. Let the visiting tech run the intensities in the way that they are familiar with on the Lightcommander, and have someone else more skilled handle the Movers' Pan/Tilt/Color/etc.
  • Actually, I don't understand why he asked me that. If he can't do the encoding on the Roadhog, having remote faders on the Lightcommander will not help.
    Maybe he fears to be lost on the Roadhog panel !

Anyway, I think I will suggest him to use the Playback Wing with tape on it.

Thank you very much for your explanation. That was very fast.
Related