Max universes on a RHFB??

Hi all, a simple question.. what is the max universes i can run on a RHFB and How.. I have heard 16 is max with DP8's, Artnet etc. I need atleast 32 ??? Can I and How?? networking desks or something? see we already have 3 x RHFB's.

Cheers,
Benny..
  • Hey Benny,

32 is no problem

Just add 2 x DP8000

Each DP8000 can do 16 Lines (8 of these direct 5-pin)
    You need to add an USB-Extender to add the other 8 lines or you must use an 8-port Artnet-Node connected to the Fixturelink of the DP8000

The RHFB by itself can creat 12 universes, 4 5-pin and the rest via Artnet (fixture-link port)

If you network your 3 consoles via Hognet, you can create 36 universes, 12 direct 5-pin (3 x 4) and the rest via Artnet.
    Again you would need 2 Artnet 8-port nodes.

In general all 12 universes (16 with DP8000) are also available via artnet.
  • That's great news.. in a couple of years we are going to end up with 36 odd pods that lower down on motors full of fixtures with no upper grid for cables etc, so everything back to a patch room of sorts. the walls move in and out to change rooms around etc. so it's much easier to config the various scenarios from a console rather than some rediculous patch panel/wall to config the various pods/floor pits etc. The boss is thinking 1 x universe to each pod in the roof. so sounds like it should work from the RHFB no probs.. Cheers, Benny..
  • I would go for the solution with the 2 x DP8000

Then you can use your other 2 RHFB for other stuff, or as backups etc

Also cabling would be easier: just 1 network-cable to your control/dimmer-room and up to your pods with 5-pin XLR

Other solution would mean from FoH: 12 x 5-pin XLR or all 36 x 5-pin XLR, 2 Networkswitches at console-position, 2 or 3 Artnet-Nodes.
  • [QUOTE=MLorenz;61969]I would go for the solution with the 2 x DP8000

Then you can use your other 2 RHFB for other stuff, or as backups etc

Also cabling would be easier: just 1 network-cable to your control/dimmer-room and up to your pods with 5-pin XLR

Other solution would mean from FoH: 12 x 5-pin XLR or all 36 x 5-pin XLR, 2 Networkswitches at console-position, 2 or 3 Artnet-Nodes.

Yep for sure, i hear you on the cabling thing, I am over running miles of DMX back to the desk, we do not currently own a DP8 and sometimes we have 8 x universes back to the desk with a superwidget. 1 x CAT6 with ethercon connectors sounds good to me.. By USB-Extender do you mean Superwidget??

Thanks heaps for ya help on this..
  • Another option you might consider is just running Cat-5/6/7 lines to your "pods" for ArtNet with a two universe ArtNet to 5-pin box at each location. That gives you a little bit more flexibility as well as some redundancy (especially if you run more than one network line). All your lines then go into a switch @ your dimmer loacation with your DP-8000s connected to them via Fixture Link (ArtNet).
    There are a wide range of these boxes for very reasonable cost.
    Here's one I've used and like: www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70305&show=description&name=ode

Hope this helps. :)
  • [QUOTE=Marty Postma;61972]Another option you might consider is just running Cat-5/6/7 lines to your "pods" for ArtNet with a two universe ArtNet to 5-pin box at each location. That gives you a little bit more flexibility as well as some redundancy (especially if you run more than one network line). All your lines then go into a switch @ your dimmer loacation with your DP-8000s connected to them via Fixture Link (ArtNet).
    There are a wide range of these boxes for very reasonable cost.
    Here's one I've used and like: www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70305&show=description&name=ode

Hey Marty, Yes this helps for sure. Will throw a few ideas at the Boss and Crew and see what they reckon. See i am a senior (retired touring guy) LX guy in a large Convention centre that is currently building a new mega building with this POD truss grid thing (no upper grid???) and i got asked by the boss today what cabling we need installed to the pods etc. So it's a good start that i can get 32 universes out of a RHFB, i thought only 16. I am kinda new to Artnet, have played around direct fixture link from desk to fixtures with some succes but thats about it. So any help with Artnet is greatly apreciated.. I am kinda thinking that maybe i can do 16 x PODS with DMX from a DP8 and the other 16 pods with 2xDP8's and artnet nodes then cat6 direct to 1st fixture on pod then go 5pin DMX to the other fixtures on that pod. we probably will get robin 1200's/600's or something like that.

You reckon this would work?? Oh and be Rock solid.. :)
    Cheers,
  • [QUOTE=Unjucho;61970]fgfbe ibuyz haha qakhy oescb cqkhi yfepy rtvii klhxs ldzel jmviy
    MmmHmm!! We have a bloke at work whom speaks the same..
    Fluent wingding if i am correct.

But hey, Thanks for that it was very helpfull indeed..
    Cheers,
    Benny..
  • The user speaking "Fluent wingding" was a link spambot. The account has been eliminated and the posts deleted. We do what we can to keep 'bots away, but aren't always successful...

Fortunately, I can assure you that Marty and Marc are real people and not spambots (and very helpful people at that).
  • [QUOTE=ACCPIG3;61971]
    By USB-Extender do you mean Superwidget??

The "DP8000 Expander" is a rackmount box that plugs into your DP8000's USB port and gives you 8 more universes of hard-line DMX. It acts like an 8-port widget.

www.highend.com/images/DP8000Expander.jpg
  • [QUOTE=ericthegeek;61976]The user speaking "Fluent wingding" was a link spambot. The account has been eliminated and the posts deleted. We do what we can to keep 'bots away, but aren't always successful...

Fortunately, I can assure you that Marty and Marc are real people and not spambots (and very helpful people at that).

Yer i figured his time on here would be short lived..

And yes Marty and marc had some very helpful input indeed..
  • [QUOTE=ericthegeek;61978]The "DP8000 Expander" is a rackmount box that plugs into your DP8000's USB port and gives you 8 more universes of hard-line DMX. It acts like an 8-port widget.

www.highend.com/images/DP8000Expander.jpg

Thanks heaps for that Eric, It's all making sense now. These strap on Hog gadgets should work a treat when the time comes, am very happy to hear i can get 32 universes direct from the RHFB.. I am a big fan of the RHFB's have pretty much lived on them 6 days a week for the last 4 years.. Awesome desk..

Cheers to all.. :)
  • [QUOTE=ACCPIG3;61999]Thanks heaps for that Eric, It's all making sense now. These strap on Hog gadgets should work a treat when the time comes, am very happy to hear i can get 32 universes direct from the RHFB.. I am a big fan of the RHFB's have pretty much lived on them 6 days a week for the last 4 years.. Awesome desk..

Cheers to all.. :)

Sorry one more question on the usb expander, i can only see 16 universes in the Patch window of the RHFB. how do you patch the other 16?? or is that other 16 Artnet down 5pin from the expander or something..??

May be a dumb question, but as posted earlier the Artnet thing is kinda new to me..
    cheers..
  • In the Patch Window, there's a pop-up menu that lets you select which DP8000 to patch to. You may have to press "Add DP" in the "Patch At" windows if your target DP isn't already showing up.

For example, if the virtual DP in your RHFB is set to netnumber 1, and the external DP is set to netnumber 2, you'd choose DP8000 #2 to patch to a universe on the DP8000.

Also, you can patch on the command line. To patch fixtures 15 through 18 to DP #2, 4th universe, DMX address 200, you'd open the patch window and type:

15 thru 18 @ 2/4/200 enter
  • You have to add another DP-8000 to get another 16 universes.
    Go to Setup --> Patch.
    Then select a fixture and Patch@.
    When the popup window appears there will be a button on the lower left for "add" to create an additional DP-8000 if there is not one physically present on your network.

There is currently no limit to the number of DP-8000s you can add to a system, so theoretically there is no limit to the number of DMX uninverses you can have. HOWEVER....there is a limit to the number of fixtures you can have in any given show (8,192).

Also, just to be clear, the RHFB is only capable of 12 universes by itself. Actual/physical DP-8000s (as opposed to the virtual DP-8000 "process" that runs on the RHFB) are capable of 16 universes each.

• [QUOTE=ericthegeek;62003]In the Patch Window, there's a pop-up menu that lets you select which DP8000 to patch to. You may have to press "Add DP" in the "Patch At" windows if your target DP isn't already showing up.

For example, if the virtual DP in your RHFB is set to netnumber 1, and the external DP is set to netnumber 2, you'd choose DP8000 #2 to patch to a universe on the DP8000.

Also, you can patch on the command line. To patch fixtures 15 through 18 to DP #2, 4th universe, DMX address 200, you'd open the patch window and type:

15 thru 18 @ 2/4/200 enter

That's way kool, easy as.. thanks heaps, that answers all my questions, I can go to the boss now and tell him its a goer.

Cheers, benny..
Related