Midi Control

Hey,

At my work we have a Road Hog Full Boar that we have used for many different concerts and events. So I know that you can have a show run of midi cues, but I am more wondering as to how this works. Where do the midi cues come from and how to you program the board to respond to them, and essentially set up a light show to midi control.

I am just trying to expand my Road Hog knowledge and over all become a better lighting tech.

Any help, knowledge or tips would be great.

Thanks!
  • Hi, the MIDI commands will come from another console, or show control computer, or other external device. On the Full Boar, other than selecting the console to respond to MIDI commands, you just program your cues as normal.

Most of the work is done on the device sending the MIDI command as that is where you organize and enter the information for which device to play which cue etc.

One example is when their are several machines in a show whether they are lighting consoles, video machines, audio cues etc., such as in theme parks etc. The MIDI device sends the commands to the different machines at once so all of the cues go at the same time.
  • Hi, I currently work with an electronic band, they run the music through Ableton Live and in turn they are sending me information midi to FOH.

First you need to set the lights normally, according to the desired changes to the music. My way of working is putting all the cue's in a single fader.

Second, you need to name the comment with the corresponding macro cuelist eg GM2/1, GM2/2, GM3/3 etc. This will give you an action to a particular midi note.

Third, you have to set the midi notes in the desired changes to the music, this is done in the program that triggers the music here is Ableton Live.

This is another simple and inexpensive way to synchronize a show, good luck!:headbang:

[QUOTE=Chupippomink;61926]Hey,

At my work we have a Road Hog Full Boar that we have used for many different concerts and events. So I know that you can have a show run of midi cues, but I am more wondering as to how this works. Where do the midi cues come from and how to you program the board to respond to them, and essentially set up a light show to midi control.

I am just trying to expand my Road Hog knowledge and over all become a better lighting tech.

Any help, knowledge or tips would be great.

Thanks!
  • Starting in Section 28.2, the manual linked to below has details about working with Midi including Midi Notes such as described above. You can take a look at that and it may help answer some questions as well.

www.flyingpig.com/support/documents/manual_en062911.pdf
Related