Console for the DP - Please help

Playdoe9Playdoe9 Registered User
Hey guys,

I have a TV show coming up where the DP typically ends up with 8 variacs at the DIT tent because he likes to dial his primary lights, sometimes in the middle of takes. He says that his dialing needs to happen faster than he can communicate. I've tried having my full console right next to him, standing next to him with my remote tablet, but he is still not a fan.

He wants something simple, like nobs or faders...

My latest idea is to make a small cart that has a playback wing on the top and a client laptop on the shelf below. From my console, I could assign what his faders are doing on his client. ie fader 1 s channel 57, 2 is 99 etc. This also makes use of the soco and doesn't mean we have to rig each set in this way.

Anybody else experienced this/found a solution.

Another idea is a simple 1to1 12 channel board, with a 10 channel Ratpack near set and run the DMX back to his mini board...Which is doable but it just leaves me out of the loop of controlling those lights.

Thoughts?

-Ben

Comments

• Unknown Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    edited July 2012
    There is a perfect application for multi-console networking. Give the DP one or more Wings hooked up to a console or copy of 3PC and he can tweak levels all day long.

If you're only worked single-console before, do a bit of experimenting before you get on set to get used to how the two consoles interract (when changing pages, etc.).
  • Playdoe9Playdoe9 Registered User
    edited July 2012
    Yes that is what I suggested. The difficult part becomes that he doesn't want to do anything else except for touch the faders. So I would assign each channel to his faders.

It also seems that recording the looks seems a little hectic. So let's say I assign his fader one to channel 44 and he puts it at 75% and fader 2 is channel 99 and he puts is at 25%. Then I suck in the value on my console and record to cue on my console.
    If he pushes those same faders up or down, would that change the level of that channel? Latest takes precedence?

Just wondering if anyone has tried something like this.
    edited July 2012
    Seems like to allow his faders to always work, would it be a function of asserting his faders priority, or persist on override??
  • Unknown Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    edited July 2012
    Look into HTP and/or priority. It will largely depend on your style of operation which will work better for you.
  • MitchMitch Registered User, HES Staff
    edited July 2012
    If it will work for both of you, program the lights he wants control over into cues and put them on the faders of a wing he has access to and set the faders to HTP. Then leave those lights out of all of your cues. You do not want to be fighting for control. You will always have access to them if necessary but for the most part, let him have them and you can concentrate on everything else and have one less worry.
    edited July 2012
    Mitch, I need to archive what the DP does with his channels though...
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited July 2012
    Playdoe9;61099 said:
    It also seems that recording the looks seems a little hectic. So let's say I assign his fader one to channel 44 and he puts it at 75% and fader 2 is channel 99 and he puts is at 25%. Then I suck in the value on my console and record to cue on my console.
    If he pushes those same faders up or down, would that change the level of that channel? Latest takes precedence?

No, once you hit Suck, the values in the Programmer will have higher priority than what the faders are doing.

You could put your Programmer into Blind so that your DP can continue to move the faders, but if they want to record those changes, then you need to perform another Suck on those Desk Channels.

Hope this helps. :)