Annoying Server Loss Message

So, I know I have posted about this message before, but I am still seeing this from time to time. Some days, not at all, and some days, numerous times. At one point I had thought that it was due to WiFi interference from other devices on stage. So I would change the Channel settings inside the WiFi router to be on a higher end of the 5.4GHz range. This seemed to work at first, but there are still times that I see this message.
What I don't understand is my Tablet is not a server. It is always a Client. So why would this message pop up just because the Client had a hiccup in the WiFi connection to the Tablet? The server continues to run when this message pops up. I never have to restart the server, and I never see this message on the server itself, nor do I see this message on the my console, which is also a Client. The console is hard lined into the Hognet. So why is a simple blip in the WiFi connection causing this message to appear? I know it's not a signal loss issue, because I get this message with full strength on my WiFi connection. No Firewall on. No Antivirus on.
The thing is, every time this message pops up on my Tablet, and I hit Okay, the message goes away, and I am able to still control fixtures, only I am not able to update, merge, or record anything. My only resolve is to log off the show, then log back in. Once I do that, I am able to continue programming and recording cues.
This is not on just one show. It's on any new show I create and on different setups with different server consoles and DP8Ks.
  • Hi Scott, I get that message every so often too. Usually when the tablet (as a client) has lost the WiFi signal either by being to far away from the access point or from being overpowered by another source. (stedi-cam, wireless monitors, etc) And I would also have to log out and log back in to gain recording/merging capabilities.
  • Bryan,
    Something that helps a little bit is if you go into your WiFi router settings and take the channel setting off of Auto and put it on a specific 5.4GHz range. I put mine on the higher end frequency of 5.4GHz and it did keep it from getting knocked off by others, especially if you know who it is and ask them to be on the lower end.

This still doesn't explain the content of the message though. I would like someone at HES to explain why a Tablet logged in as a Client would cause a server dropped message? Prior to 3.2, I never got this message. The tablet would always stay logged into the show without any issues. Another note, this is happening even when there is only one server. I would understand this message coming up if I actually did lose a server, but that's not the case. All that's happening is the Client Tablet is encountering a small interference or loss of signal.
  • My only guess is that the client loses contact with one process of the main server and the message is only displayed on that client. That client can't find the main server or a parallel server (for a moment) and "croaks". I would wish that the software would be smart enough to "see" the show it was just talking to and reconnect all processes automatically.
    On my end, I like to stay on the lower end of the 5GHz range because most transmitters are set on auto and like to auto set themselves to the high range of the bandwidth.
  • Hey Scott,

I have had this problem too with my setup. I am running a Hog3PC server with a networked hard line to a Hog3PC client as the main console and an Acer tablet as a wireless client. The only time this would show up for me is if the Tablet was idle for a long period of time, or if I walked to far away from the router.

So now, I just log out of the show when it feels like things are settling down. I have the same result of changing things in the the programmer but not being able to update, merge, or record them.

It does make it problematic for spur of the moment changes and if I need to be by the gaffer/DP during a take.

-Ben
  • Hi all,

I used to have this problem too from time to time. But it only happens on my MacBook with bootcamp XP. It doesn't happen with my tablet.
    I last installed the XP on my MacBook about two years ago and it works very laggy. I think the problem is related to the computers.

Any thoughts from HES?

Cheers
Related