DNS Setting?

DKatz728DKatz728 Registered User
I'm using HOG PC v. 3.1.9 and I'm having a bit of trouble wirelessly networking my Tablet. Hard wired it finds the show no problem. Also if I log off with the server and log back in, my Tablet will find the show wirelessly. I'm using Static IP Addresses, the only setting I'm not sure about is the DNS and if that matters?
I'm using a switch of course and a WAP. I've checked all IPs.
The really weird thing is I had no trouble on my friends show a few weeks ago.
Thanks in advance for any help. :1zhelp:

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited May 2012
    Most likely you have different IP settings for your hard-wired vs wireless network adapters.

How is DHCP being handled in your network?
    By the console or the router? (If both are set to give out IPs you might run into issues.)

Hope this helps. :)
  • DKatz728DKatz728 Registered User
    edited May 2012
    Yes I do have different IP Settings on my wired vs wireless adapters. But I'm not using DHCP. I've assigned static IP addresses to everything in the network. What should the DNS setting be? What confuses me is why 6 weeks ago I had no problem on my buddies show logging on with all the same settings. I'm going to try using DHCP today out of desperation and see how solid that style network is.
  • raystreamraystream Registered User
    edited May 2012
    dns = domain name system
    edited May 2012
    Ray I'm aware of what it stands for but in a static IP network what should I set it to?
    edited May 2012
    In my experience I've found it best to keep static IPs on my Console, DP(s), and wireless router while leaving DHCP enabled on the Console (Console gives out IPs to remote clients and the router has DHCP disabled).

This allows clients to be assigned IPs, but keeps the static IP "safety" with all show critical network nodes.

I've never needed to enter a DNS value (always leave it as "automatic" or blank fields) for H3 networks, even when setting a static IP.

Hope this helps. :)
    edited May 2012
    marty is right you dont need to set a dns server if you are not working with names.
    just leave the field blank
    edited May 2012
    Thank you for that. I'm beginning to suspect the WAP I'm using is not fast enough. It's only good for 54mbps which would obviously defeat using a Gigabite switch. After reading through the instructions again that's the only thing I can think of.
    edited May 2012
    the 54mbit wlan system should be fast enough to run the show, only the show download (after finding and connection) could last a little longer.

i am using a 150mbit wlan system between foh and stage and that works fine.
    sometime when connecting the tablet on stage to the show it takes sometime a long time to finally connect to the console, cause the wlan connection on the tablet is only 54mbit (it is a wlan bridge system with a very narrow angle).
  • tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited May 2012
    DKatz728 wrote: »
    Ray I'm aware of what it stands for but in a static IP network what should I set it to?

DNS is a distributed database to map host named to IP addresses.

If you are on an isolated network for your console and such, and have not specifically setup a DNS server, then you don't have access to one . . . and will either need to use IP addresses directly, or edit the hosts file on all platforms (if possible) to provide name to IP address mapping.

Note that this has absolutely *NOTHING* to do with whether you use DHCP or not . . . DNS is DNS and that doesn't change it. The *ONLY* crossover is that when you configure a wireless hub, you need to tell *IT* what the DNS server is so that it can give it to the DHCP clients. You still need to know what it is, however . . .

- Tim
    edited May 2012
    Well I switched out my WAP for a Router and it looks like the problem is solved. Thanks again!
  • eboxereboxer Registered User
    edited May 2012
    Just ot add to this topic (even though I know its been solved) there are two numbers that you should always keep an eye on when building any kind of network where things need to talk to each other- the IP address and the subnet mask.

Your subnet should be identical across all items of your network. 255.255.255.0 is usually a good place to start and allows for 254 unique devices to talk to each other. Your IP address scheme should follow a pattern similar to something like 192.168.1.X.
    edited May 2012
    eboxer wrote: »
    Your IP address scheme should follow a pattern similar to something like 192.168.1.X.

Most likely for a Hog-Net scenario the IP scheme will be 172.31.0.xxx
  • eboxereboxer Registered User
    edited May 2012
    Most likely for a Hog-Net scenario the IP scheme will be 172.31.0.xxx
    If you leave the default settings on the Hogs :)