Dead ZIP Drive

I may have a dead zip drive, the light stays on it now, no matter what. I have a disk in there that needs to be ejected, but is not seen by the Hog. Any suggestions. Also, since there is a drive in there it seems that boot times have gotten really long.

First how do I eject a stuck disk. Second, I guess I need to replace the ZIP.

Will any Zip 250 work, or does High End stock some?
  • Any standard Zip 250 should work if you can find one.
    HES part number is: 25091425

Depending on what is causing the disk to be stuck will determine how you get it out......if the metal flap has gotten caught you might need to crack the drive open.

I'm a bit suprized to hear that anyone is still using Zips since USB support was added back in v3.2.0.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Most (all?) of the Zip drives have an emergency eject mechanism available. You usually activate it using a straightened paperclip pushed into a hole in the drive mechanism.

Zip 100: See page 6 of this PDF Manual "Disk Eject in Case of Power Loss"
    download.iomega.com/english/manuals/english/en330001.pdf

Zip 250 Manual "Disk Eject in Case of Power Loss"
    www.iomega.com/support/manuals/zip2a/use_drive.html#nopower

Zip 750 Manual "Disk Eject in Case of Power Loss"
    www.iomega.com/support/manuals/zip7a/use_drive.html#nopower
  • I was wondering if disconnecting the zip drive would cause any problems with the H3. Bootup for some reason takes a while with the flaky ZIP drive.

Also, I was doing the diagnostics, and when I selected front panel diagnostics, the mose froze and the touchscreen would no longer respond. Is this normal? DO I need a mouse connected during that test?
  • [QUOTE=stagelites;60123]I was wondering if disconnecting the zip drive would cause any problems with the H3. Bootup for some reason takes a while with the flaky ZIP drive.

The HogIII will boot just fine with the Zip drive disconnected. The HogIII RCU uses the same hardware, and only has a CD-ROM (no Zip).

[QUOTE=stagelites;60123]
    Also, I was doing the diagnostics, and when I selected front panel diagnostics, the mose froze and the touchscreen would no longer respond. Is this normal?

Yes, that's normal. The purpose of the front panel diagnostics is to test the front panel trackball and touchscreens. If you were using the trackball and touchscreens to run the tests it might invalidate the test results.

[QUOTE=stagelites;60123]
    DO I need a mouse connected during that test?

Practically speaking, yes. If you ever get stuck in the test without a mouse available you can use PIG+FAN+OPEN+CLEAR to forcibly exit the test. You can also use PIG+FAN+OPEN+[CHOOSE] to partially navigate the tests without a mouse. But unless you enjoy memorizing obscure key combinations it's best to run the HogIII's selftest with an external mouse.
  • Thanks for the information. Yup a dead ZIP drive, so I will need to replace it. However when I unplugged the ZIP drives IDE cable, the Hog now boots significantly faster.
Related