Show Copy Bug V3.2.3

I have a new show file I created with a pretty signifiant amount of palettes, many of which are referenced. Inside the file is a variety of fixtures, conventionals, LEDS, movers and a media sever.

Seems that when I log out of the show file, goto browse, click copy, then paste into another folder, I loose some of my palette assignment ... for example:

I have a group of 12 HES technospots- 701>712 -- Upon copying, I loose all the beam palette assignments for 701>706, but the remaining 707>712 exist. If I open the palette (which was written per fixture), only information for 707>712 exists within the palette. The same issue happens with my Axon V2 Graphic Layers. I have XYZ position palettes for layers 1>9, and I loose 1>5.

However, if I backup the show, then log out, restore the show into the same folder, the issue does not occur.

V3.2.3, Hog III, DP8K, Full Size Wing, 2x 17" ELO touch, External PS/2 Keyboard.
  • General rule of thumb with Hog-3.....
    Don't ever try to move, cut, or copy + paste an expanded showfile.
    It never goes well (but has gotten "less ugly" over the years).

You say you are not having the issue when you create and expand a zipped backup file, which is the proper method for changing location of a showfile (for backup or on a console HDD, H3PC HDD, etc.)

Hope this helps. :)
  • a few points to your response.

First, why would cut and paste work at all on show files if I shouldn't use it (it's always worked for me before)

Second, the time required to backup log off, restore, and go back in is 5 minutes 20 seconds. The amount of time required to backup in general on the H3 with each subsequent version is slower. Right now, it takes almost 3 minutes to backup my show. And with them cutting out the automated backup, it makes it even more of a pain in the rear. (Speaking of which, when is that getting re-enabled)
  • Just because you didn't get bit with a problem before doesn't mean it was a good idea then either. ;)

It has never, ever been a good idea to try and move an expanded showfile. You've just been lucky in the past. This is one of the easiest ways I know of to currupt a file.

The length of time to do a backup or expand from a backup is entirely based on how large you show is (how many fixtures, palettes, cues, scenes, FX, etc....). - {BTW this holds true for any console not just H3....the more data, the more time to transfer it is needed.} The software has actually gotten faster over the last few builds for backups, so I'm guessing your showfile has gotten proportionately larger.

Everyone is going to have their own method of organizing files to suit the way they work.

The way I find that works best for me is to have individual folders for each "show" within the console's show folder.
    For touring I'll have a "master" showfile in the shows directory and then subfolders with backups from each day with three digits in front to keep them in order.
    ie - folders named:
    000_Rehearsals
    001_New York
    002_Boston
    003_Philadelphia
    etc...

This way I can go back and easily find a version from the past if I need it without having to wade through an entire list of backups.

Use whatever method works best for you, but moving an expanded show will cause you nothing but problems in the long run.

Doing things like Integrity Check and removing old or unwanted data will help streamline your show as well.

Hope this helps. :)
  • My show file is a brand new file, less than 100 lists, and a bunch of palettes. Oddly, it only takes about 20 seconds on my mac to backup, and several minutes for the same file on my "flagship" console ... its a brand new hard drive, so its not a hardware issue. It's slow. Backing up on other consoles in 2012 is nearly instantaneous ..... if not automatic, and better yet, done in the background. We got USB this year, maybe I'll see automated backup restored in the near future....
Related