Hard drive help

mikeyraymikeyray Registered User
edited March 2012 in DL.3/DL.2
Hi all
A friend of mine has some DL:2's that are in a bit of a state
basically someone came to 'fix' the hard drives and started to replace them however now he is left with them all not working
I am stepping in to try and get them going but have very little knowledge of the internal workings
Basically I want to start with blank hard drives and install them from fresh
if someone could give me a step by step it would be much appreciated
Thanks
Mikey

Comments

• schiefelsschiefels Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited March 2012
    Hi Mikey,

Because of the way our hard drives are configured, there's no way to start with a blank hard drive and load everything (mainly due to the large amount of stock content that we can't freely distribute). If you need replacement drives, you'll have to order them pre-imaged from us.

If you contact our support department at +1.800.890.8989(in the US) or 1.512.836.2242, they can fix you up with new drives, or possibly see if your old drives are in a state that can be rescued.
  • mikeyraymikeyray Registered User
    edited March 2012
    Ah I see
    that is where the other guy failed as a few of the old hard drives failed in the units he took an image and tried putting that on new ones
    I will get the owner to order new ones and a new restore cd which has gone missing
    Thanks for the fast responce
    Mikey
    edited March 2012
    aslo do you have a link tyo get the CMA software for doing restores etc
    mikey
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited March 2012
    Here's the link for DL support:

http://www.highend.com/support/digital_lighting/dl3.asp

Hope this helps. :)
    edited March 2012
    THanks Marty
    managed to get 2 working but the windows 7 laptop doesnt seem to connect on the network but my mac does ?
    got one with the error ''USB Innit Error'
    getting there
    Mikey
    edited March 2012
    Make sure your Win7 PC has UAC disabled and exceptions made with your Firewall/Anti-Virus for CMA to run.

As for USB INIT ERROR.
    First things to check are:
    Make sure that the (x3) USB connectors are all properly plugged in to the DLs computer, and check that the other end of the USB cable that goes to the top-box card (next to the LCD display) is properly plugged in as well.

edited March 2012
    Hi Marty
    whats UAC
    sorry Im a mac person
    Mikey
    edited March 2012
    UAC is User Account Control.....a way of having different user profiles to log in and out of Windows with possibly different access to files, programs, etc....

Read this technote:

http://www.flyingpig.com/support/documents/WindowsUAC.pdf

Also be aware that after you connect your network cable it might take several minutes to go into auto-IP.
    If you have set a static IP on your computer it will probably not be able to connect to the network at all.
    It also usually helps to disable all your other network adapters (like WiFi).
    You can see what IP your machine is set to at the bottom right corner of the CMA window.

• schiefelsschiefels Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited March 2012
    Mikey,

There are also currently some known issues with having multiple network adapters active on Windows 7. For example, if you have a wired network connection to your DL/Axon network and at the same time have wireless Ethernet running. Having both running at the same time will cause fixtures to not show up on the CMA, as well as the CMA to be extremely laggy and non-responsive.

You can fix this by disabling the wireless Ethernet on your computer. Go to the Control Panel, then Network and Sharing Center. On the left hand side of the window is an option for "Change Adapter Settings". Once in there, find your wireless adapter, right click on it, and select "Disable"
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited March 2012
    Mikey,
    Just to add make sure your machine/computer
    Is on mains power,win 7 does switch off some
    Connectivity when running on battery power for
    Extended periods.
    If you are upgrading the HDD get the DL3 Versions,
    Should be the same image but more stock content.
    Marty/Chris?
    Good luck.
    C
    edited March 2012
    hey cormac
    hope your well mate
    if I put Dl3 drives in is there anything else I have to do ??
    mikey
    edited March 2012
    Right
    So I got another laptop running xp installed appropriate software and it connected ok can see the 2 DL2s that are in the network
    try to drag and drop from the user content but get an error so go to one of the servers left click select 'create content archive' and name he file with the correct extention on the end (weird that I have to add this myself)
    gets to about 30% and come up with '' an error occured'' happens everytime and with both servers even with them connected individually.I thought it might because of available space but for the life of me I cant work out how to tell how big the User content folder is which is weird , so I got a 100Gb hard drive and tried that but still with the same result.
    I have now applied my forehead multiple times to a stone like flat thing and still nothing
    Any help would be appreciated as I now have blood in my eyes ;)
    Mikey
    edited March 2012
    Hi Mikey,

Glad you have CMA up and running now. Check to be sure that the version of CMA software is the same as the software on your fixtures.

2 things regarding backing up your custom content:

1 - Don't use "Create Content Archive".....it doesn't work unless you have a terribly small ammount of custom content (a few MB or so).

2 - Before you drag-and-drop content from the DL units to your CMA, change the view from the "details" view to one of the "thumbnail" views (you can always change back to details after doing this if you like). This is an older bug that I believe was fixed in the v2 software, but you might be hitting it in an older software version.

edited March 2012
    Hi Marty
    Ok so i returned back to CMA 2.02 the same as the DL2's changed to thunbnails
    and still get the same error
    ''cant copy file - unable to read source or disk''
    I have no firewall on or wireless adaptor or anything of this nature as this is a workshop laptop that never goes online
    If I do a software upgrade does this wipe the user content just thinking it might be a good idea to upgrade server and cma and try again as im only trying to get this folder off so I can buy all new HD's for all 4
    Thanks
    Mikey
    edited March 2012
    A software upgrade should not do any harm to your custom content normally. (emphasis on "should"....no accounting for what happens if something fails along the way).

Are you trying to copy a whole folder or individual files?
    Just for clarity's sake, the switch between "details" and "thumbnails" must happen inside a folder so the CMA changes how you see the individual files.

If you try Copy and Paste on a single file after this (as opposed to drag and drop) do you have any better luck?

If the issue persists, it might be somthing in your network.
    How is your network configured?
    Cat-5e cables, switches, other devices, etc...

edited March 2012
    Ok will try again tonight
    just a quick one
    Im using a router should I be using a switch ??
    Mikey
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited March 2012
    Unmanaged Network switch is going to be a lot easier.
    C
    edited March 2012
    Right
    So changed to an unmanaged switch
    looking at all the thumbnails inside the user media folder tried copying a jpg on its own and still get "Cannot copy file : Cannot read from the source file or disk"
    tried both copy and paste and drag and drop
    on a side note should I be getting the Link and Activity lights on the DL ?
    thanks
    Mikey
    edited March 2012
    mikeyray wrote: »
    on a side note should I be getting the Link and Activity lights on the DL ?

If your CMA can "see" the DL server and you can browse files on the DL, then communication is OK.

If you are able, I would suggest connecting your CMA directly to the DL via a Cat-5e crossover cable.

If after that you still have an issue, it will probably be faster to call support and talk with someone on the phone directly.

edited March 2012
    well new crossover cable made
    same issue
    grrr
    long toll call to be had it looks like
    thanks for the help
    mikey