Connecting Artistic Licence ArtNet box to Full Boar

Hi,

I think I am being a bit stupid but I am having real trouble connecting my Artistic Licence ArtNet box to the Hog. I have used this bo in the past using a Vista T2 and had no worries so I understand how the general concept works etc.

The box is connected to the hog using a cat5 cable. The hog is 'seeing' the box when I press 'set up' and 'network' and so will let me say that output 1 is subnet 1 universe 1 etc etc (I need to us 9 of the 12 availalbe outputs on the artnet box).

When I patch a fixture and want to assign the fixture to a specific universe/port on the artnet box, I am not given the option to path it there. Instead I simply get the usual DP1 option to hard patch to the desk.

any help on this please? Or is someone can write an idiots guide to patching fixtures to artnet universes for me then that would be good!

Cheers
  • Hey,

the Art-Net/Fixturelink Outputs of the RHFB are configured in the interal DP8000 Settings
    So you also have to patch your fixtures to universes of that DP
    Then you go to:

* Setup -> Network, select your internal DP8000, press Settings
    * Fixture-Link, adjust your IP-Settings for the Fixture-Link Port of the RHFB (with Artistic-Licence you should use 2.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x range)
    * Select Artnet-Outputs, there you see the universes of the internal DP8000, with the + and - buttons you can select of this universe should be active or not. Then adjust your subnet and universe, if necessary you can turn off broadcast and enter the IP-Adress of your ArtNet Box to have only a unicast to that specific device allowed. In most setups you can leave broadcast checked.

For Example if universe 8 of the DP8000 should be on subnet 1 universe 4:

press the + for universe 8 (if not already active)
    adjust subnet to 1 and universe to 4

thats it...
  • cheers for that.

I still seem to be having trouble though. Whilst the DP8000 is connecting to the hog, the desk isnt seeing the ArtNet box. The box is getting a network signal however that is as far as it goes really.

Basically I need my show to run on 17 universes of DMX. the first 8 of these can be from the DP8000 and then I need to run the remaining 9 from the 12 way artnet box. How do i configure the artnet box to have 'ouput 1 = dmx universe 9' and 'output 2 = dmx universe 10' etc etc

:1zhelp:
  • The HOG will never see the Artnet Box direct.
    It will only see the DP8000
    If the first output of your Artnet Box is subnet 0 and univeres 0, then adjust this for universe 9 (like I explained above) for 10 use subnet 0 and universe 1 and so on
    This is depending on the settings of your Artnet Box
    Remember: The Fullboar can only Output 12 Univereses direct, if you need more then you will need external DP8000 In your case al least 1 extra.
  • Thanks for this. I will have a look at it now. I am using an external DP8000 in line and so hopefully that will be fine.

I have now got to the stage where all is talking to each other etc however when I am to assign a specific universe to the artnet box on the HOG, I am only given the option to assign up to 16 universes (a little keypad box appears rather than typing it in). Since I require 17 universes how is it possible to manually type this in rather than choosing from that keypad box given

cheers
    Tom
  • Each DP8000 can handle 16 Universes
    So as you are using a Roadhog Fullboar i would suggest that you run the missing universe direct out of the Roadhog
    Then you need to assign the universe(s) in the internal DP8000
    Keep in mind that each DP needs a unique netnumber
  • Hi,

yes that was the option that I considered (1 hard line), I just wanted to see if there was another option.

I havent been using Hogs for long (only a month or 2), seems stupid that a DP can only handle 16 universes.

Anyway thanks for the help
  • It is not stupid...
    It is a lot of calculations a DP does (all fades, movements etc are calculated there), so with 16 universes thats a lot work. Thats also why the RHFB is limited to 12 onboard universes.
    Compared to other systems we are lucky, there you can only handle 4 or 8 universes per "node"

In your setup you could also connect your ArtNet Box to the Fixturelink Port of the Roadhog Fullboar and run 12 Universes from there (lets say universes 1-12)
    As these would also be the limit of the internal virtual DP8000, then it would be subnet 0, universe 0-11 (if your Artnet Box is set to this)
    And the other 5 universes from the DP8000.

Pretty big setup by the way with 17 universes....
Related