Bootable USB for Roadhog?

spainpatspainpat Registered User
So I think I have screwed something up trying to make a bootable USB on a road hog? I keep getting this error please see picture...

"windows fails to start, a recent hardware or software change might be the cause...."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spainpat/6623977785/in/photostream

please help I am having a very hard time updating this console and I need it for a show on wednesday with 3.2 on it...

I had what I thought was the right stuff on the high end bootable USB stick but it said there wasn't enough room to add the road hog system restore release 1.8.2 so I tried to make a bootable disc drive out of a bigger USB stick and then I get the error in the photo? Any ideas? Do I need to do it from a disc drive? Will a apple superdrive work?

thanks

Comments

• jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited January 2012
    A High End USB drive should be plenty for an upgrade...it's what I use.

How did you make it a Bootable drive??? Did you use this document?
    http://www.flyingpig.com/support/documents/BootableUSBFlashDrive.pdf

Once you have a true Bootable drive, you download the XPe Image and extract it to the drive.
  • spainpatspainpat Registered User
    edited January 2012
    Yes I did use that document and as far as I can see it was a success...so if it has enough room on it then maybe I am doing something wrong when putting the files on the USB drive?

what do you mean by you download the XPe Image and extract it to the drive...I downloaded the XPe image and unzipped the file and then I put that folder onto the USB drive? Is that not correct?

Does it matter that I am using a mac?

thanks for your help so far
    edited January 2012
    When dealing with Zips, I generally keep it windows (using Parallels or Bootcamp for me since I'm Mac too).

Did you just drag the folder onto the drive or did you open the folder and copy the CONTENTS of the folder. That might be the problem.

But since it's a Windows Boot Drive...that might be the inherent problem from Mac to Windows drive...just a thought.

But yes, it should fit just fine. Is it a 2GB HES drive?
    edited January 2012
    Yea but when I drag the folder onto the drive I get this

The item “Road_Hog_System_Restore_Release_1-8-2” can’t be copied because there isn’t enough free space.

Now when I look at the USB info I see it is the 2gb USB but it says I only have 312mb available? Although when I look on the drive there is nothing there? Got any ideas as to whats going there?

Im gonna try and get my old crappy dell going and see if I can copy it to the drive from there...I feel like from the error I am getting from that picture above I might have messed something up?
    edited January 2012
    My guess is it's the Mac/PC thing. Because it's a boot drive it is probably having issues with the Mac trying to dump onto the drive.
    edited January 2012
    well your guess was correct it worked when I did it from the PC end...and the USB stick was full because I deleted the files into the garbage on the mac and apparently they stay there until you empty the garbage...crazy but it worked...thanks for your help...
    edited January 2012
    Ah yes...the old "empty the trash" trick. Yes, on Macs, until it's emptied (or the drive removed) it holds onto it just in case you made a mistake.

Definitely invest in a copy or parallels or load up bootcamp with an old XP disc (unless you really want Windows 7). Will save some headaches down the road...especially if you get into DL's and need CMA too!!

Glad I could help.
  • SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
    edited January 2012
    Strange, I've had no problem creating a bootable usb-stick on my Apple, works fine...
  • loebusloebus Registered User
    edited January 2012
    I recently had the same error come up repeatedly. Multiple calls to after hours HES support didn't help. Made two separate, brand new thumb drives bootable on the desk, downloaded two separate XPe images, using a PC and unzipping directly to the drive. Followed the documentation word for word. Looking at the contents of the drive on the PC there were the 3 folders and the .exe file, but using the file browser on the desk the thumb drive appeared empty. Console behaved as though the drive was empty, at restore screen only had option to do partial restore or exit, no option to do complete restore as the console didn't see the image on the drive. Gave up after 5 hours of pulling out my hair and did the show in 3.1.9.