RoadHog USB Video Adapter

stephenwykerstephenwyker Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
Can someone give me the exact part number for this? I want to make sure I have the right piece with me. i assume it's GUC2015V. I seem to remember some buzz a while back about an updated version.

Comments

• Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    edited October 2011
    Stephen

We know of two vesions, sorry I do not know part numbers.
    1. Orginal - No Silkscreen
    2. New Version - Has DisplayLink certifited silkscreened on the back side.

As long as you are running image version 1.8.0 (3.2.0 b3148) or higher you should have no problems using both of the USB to VGA.
    If you are running an image version per 1.8.0 make sure you use the orginal (1) USB to VGA.
  • stephenwykerstephenwyker Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited October 2011
    I need to run V3.1.9, so if i image the desk with 1.8.0, can I downgrade to 3.1.9?
    edited October 2011
    I am sorry but no you can NOT MSI upgrade between 3.1.9 and 3.2.0. You must perfrom a full install.
    edited October 2011
    I want to downgrade. not upgrade. I need to run a 3rd monitor, with the new version of the adapter, on V3.1.9, apparently with 1.8.0 XPE.
    edited October 2011
    Sorry you can not upgrade or downgrade between 3.1.9 and 3.2.0.

If you have the new USB to VGA you must run 3.2.0.
    edited October 2011
    ugh. Super annoying.
    edited October 2011
    FYI, after reinstalling image 1.8.2, I now have a lagging issue as soon as I enable the external display, all the DMX output lags. .... As soon as I disable the display, all outputs resume as normal. Regular roadhog, nothing attached, same show file I've used in 3.1.9.
    edited October 2011
    Stephen

I am not seeing this in the lab. I have a RH running 3.2.2 image 1.8.2 with an external monitor hooked up. My external monitor is a RH playback wing with superwidget.

Is your external monitor a touchscreen?
    What other devices do you have attached?
    Is the lag in feedback or on stage?

Can you please send us your show file?
    http://wetransfer.com/
    [EMAIL="MGRAHAM@barco.com"]MGRAHAM@barco.com[/EMAIL]
    edited October 2011
    As soon as I enable the monitor in the control panel, the stage output lags. If I turn the tilt, it will shutter, and snap. Screen looks normal. Nothing on external display. Standard screen, 1024x768, Tried different resolutions. Tried connecting after it was booted, before, it was booted, all the typical.

Nothing connected via USB, and its directly connected.
    edited October 2011
    Can you please send us your show file.
    I am not seeing this in the lab.
    edited October 2011
    uploaded.
    edited October 2011
    Stephen

I was able to see the problem with your show file.
    I belive it has to do with drawing the external monitor.
    If you close the FX Engine the problem goes away in my test.
    Can you test and see if this helps you as well?

Thanks for the information, I will be logging a bug for this right now.
    edited October 2011
    are we back to v2.6 era and not allowed to have the effects or programmer window open again?

yes, it does reduce the issue, but does not go away.

The point of the external display is to have the programmer open, so that defeats the purpose for my use anyway if thats a non-realistic issue to fix.
    edited October 2011
    Stephen

I was wrong with the programmer, it seems to be the FX Engine that is the problem.
    edited October 2011
    it seems to shutter (not as bad) with either window open. Seems anything with values (so other than the palettes windows)
    edited October 2011
    Yes that is what I am seeing as well.
    edited November 2011
    Any progress on this? I am yet again forced to this venue again this weekend. It's really impossible to deal with this setup without a 3rd display.
    edited December 2011
    Another weekend with the same issue. What is the progress on this?
    edited June 2012
    Bump again -- Seems that I can't manage to make external displays run happy on any of my consoles. . . and 6 months later, still no changes. 3.2.4 still lags immediately when using the external display (RoadHog) -- update guys?
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited July 2012
    The technical reason the external USB to VGA Monitor solution on Road Hog is causing dmx lag in v3.2.0 and greater is due to a recent move in Hog 3 development from using Qt 3 to using Qt 4. For those of you wondering, QT is the application framework we use that is largely responsible for the makeup of the Hog 3 graphical user interface.

In Qt 3 painting our user interface (windows, spreadsheets, etc) on the screen was done by sending commands down to Windows which allowed the driver and the hardware to accelerate certain things such as region fills etc. This is very important for a display connected via USB which is significantly slower than PCI. For example, when dragging a window around the screen Qt can send short commands to Windows to manipulate the video memory. These commands are forwarded over the USB link and onto the hardware which then manipulates it's video memory directly. Since these are short commands the output is updated quickly even when there are many commands being sent over a relatively slow USB link.

However, in Qt 4 painting changed significantly on some platforms, including Windows. In order to provide a consistent set of features across all platforms Qt can no longer use the Windows interface to perform drawing tasks. The Windows drawing interface has not grown to keep pace with Qt's capabilities, so Qt uses a software engine instead which draws into a buffer in main memory without GPU acceleration then sends that entire buffer to Windows to be shown on the screen. This normally works well since the CPU, main memory and the PCI bus are very fast. In the case of the USB to VGA adapter this means transferring each frame across USB, which is much slower.

Since this uses a fair amount of CPU, the DP8K process is starved and DMX output suffers. From recent testing we can see that this mostly a problem with windows like the effects window.

Unfortunately the move to QT 4 was a necessary move in the continued development of the Hog 3 family of products. We have tried moving process priorities around so that instead of the DMX output suffering instead only the onscreen drawing of the desktop windows would be sluggish but this kind of prioritizing only led to greater and more severe problems in our testing.
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for the reason. Now the bigger question, what can be done to address it? I mean, the video issue isn't just on the Road Hog ... You know the issues we are having on our Hog III too.