Roadhog Midi issues on 3.2.1

andybabinandybabin Registered User
I'm working on an install with a roadhog being driven by cuelab and finally started to program today, and the hog will not acknowledge any midi commands (MSC or timecode.) The Midi interface does not show up on the main launch screen, but does show up once the showfile loads.

I've checked all the showfile and console settings and the settings are correct, and the "midi in" light on the interface lights up when I send midi from the computer, but the software doesn't respond. I've tried both MSC and timecode from qlab, as well as timecode (both 30 and 24fps) from protools and logic as well.

Thanks
Andy

Comments

• Simon van GemertSimon van Gemert Registered User
    edited October 2011
    Hello Andy,

I got the same problem with my IPC. the MSC as well MTC didn't work. The interface led from the midi input lits up when I was sending data, but the hog doesn't react on it. after a time I found out that the midi support was disabled in the BIOS. you can reach the bios by pressing the ''DEL'' key when starting up. I don't know if this works on a roadhog, but you can give it a try!

Best regards,

Simon van Gemert
  • Simon van GemertSimon van Gemert Registered User
    edited October 2011
    Just looked at the Bios settings for a Roadhog, but i couldn't find the midi enable/disable function back. But you can look at the Bios settings for a roadhog (you can find it by support), to see if the settings are correct.

Good luck!

Simon
  • Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    edited October 2011
    Andy

What are you using to get midi into the Road Hog?
  • andybabinandybabin Registered User
    edited October 2011
    Andy

What are you using to get midi into the Road Hog?

Im using the Maudio uno

I looked into the issue further today and tried an older uno that I had (the one I was trying to interface with was brand new) and the old unit worked fine.

Looking at the "new" unit when i'd send MTC to it the "midi in" light would blink, however with the old unit it was a steady glow. Both units emit a steady glow when hooked to my mac as the USB host. Looking at the two interfaces the new one says "avid" on the back while the old one (about 2 years old) does not. Looking through the clear plastic it looks like the PCB's are laid out differently however I have not opened the units to confirm this. Perhaps there is a hardware/driver update in the newest version that the roadhog does not have? Both units were recognized by the console, however only the old one actually recognized any midi commands

Both units work fine plugged into my mac sending/receiving midi data
  • andybabinandybabin Registered User
    edited October 2011
    Curiosity got the best of me and I cracked open both interfaces, they are totally different chipsets/board layouts, so my guess is there was a driver update somewhere in there.
    edited October 2011
    Andy

Thanks for the information.
    I checked on the Maudio website and check our driver and they are the same version.
    edited October 2011
    All this problem turned out to be a new version of the uno.
    This newer version has a newer Produce ID and our system will not allow it to load.
    We will be ordering a new uno and I we create a bug.
  • AndrisAndris Registered User
    edited October 2011
    Oh- that's not good. I just ordered a new Uno for a big show coming up that is all MIDI triggers.
    Short of trying to source an older Uno, are any other interfaces known to work well with RH and latest build?
    edited October 2011
    Andris

As of now the old uno is the only thing supported.
    I should be getting mine in in the next day or so to start testing.
    edited November 2011
    All

Just as update on what we have found while testing the new Uno.
    With the NEW uno I am able to get MSC and MIDI Notes into the Road Hog using Midi-OX.
    It is only MTC that is currently not working.

I am also having trouble getting MTC to work on a desktop computer using midi ox with the new uno.
    edited November 2011
    I can confirm on the RH, MIDI notes and MSC are OK, haven't tested MTC.
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited November 2011
    I need to correct and clarify some things here.

Beginning in version 3.2.0 the Road Hog supports all generic windows MIDI class devices that work without 3rd party drivers (such as the ALESIS Q49 and MAudio Keystudio 49). In addition we also continued support for the existing Midi Uno devices that we shipped and working using the Maudio supplied device driver that device used to require.

With the latest model shipment of Midi Uno device Maudio does appear to have gone down the generic windows MIDI class device route. It does appear that most Midi I/O functions still work in this setup (MSC, Midi Notes) with the exception of midi timecode. We are still investigating this and will be working with Maudio to determine why midi timecode is not functional in the newest device they are shipping that uses the MIDI class device driver.
    edited November 2011
    That's good to know, glad that more devices are supported. So any USB controller that is class-compliant should work then? I have a few that I can try out, I will post results...
  • edited November 2011
    On 3.2.0 and newer, the PC based consoles will allow you to use any USB MIDI Class Compliant device. If it works in Windows without requiring a special driver, than it will probably work on your console.

Note that the HogIII has a physical MIDI port so doesn't support USB MIDI devices.