DP8000 Kernal Panic again...

jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
Last weekend, we had a DP kernal panic during an event. Of course, it took down the whole event while it was rebooting. I took it with a grain of salt.

Saturday, we had ANOTHER DP kernal panic during an event and reset during an event.

We are on 3.2.1.

Hog3
DP8K
18 Pathport Nodes (on separate network)

The only thing on the HogNet is the Hog3 and the DP8K.

I have gone back to the original suggestion of doing a hard reboot of the DP8K before every event (it normally stays on all the time).

Jon

Comments

• cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited September 2011
    Hey Jon,

That is awful. My suspicion is that it either related to the uptime or the fixture link network. Can you send me all the settings you have for the DP8000's fixture link port?

IP
    Subnet
    Gateway
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited September 2011
    Ok here goes...

Obtain IP from DHCP
    IP Address: 2.1.0.7
    Subnet: 255.0.0.0
    Gateway: 2.1.0.154

Artnet Outputs
    1 - off - hardline DMX out of front of DP
    2 - Broadcast 0/2
    3 - Broadcast 0/3
    4 - Broadcast 0/4
    5 - Broadcast 0/5
    6 - Broadcast 0/6
    7 - Broadcast 0/7
    8 - Broadcast 0/9

E1.31 - Disabled

Diagnostics
    Temp Current Min Max
    CPU1 40 32 41
    CPU2 41 33 43
    CPU Ex. Front 34 30.5 34.5
    CPU Ex. Mid 38 31 38
    HogNet Adap 76 60 79
    edited September 2011
    Is it possible to try moving everything to a class B address (255.255.0.0)? I assume everything on the art-net network is manually configured. I have a feeling this issue is going to be hard to sniff out but changing individual variables slowly might help to eliminate or highlight the problem.
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited September 2011
    c_muenchow wrote: »
    Hey Jon,

That is awful. My suspicion is that it either related to the uptime or the fixture link network. Can you send me all the settings you have for the DP8000's fixture link port?

IP
    Subnet
    Gateway

I got two DPs running here. They are clones and running art-net (unicast). No DMX at all. If they are continuously on about a week one of them usually crashes...
    edited September 2011
    Ok, so it's not just me! Whew...

Yes, we normally leave the DP's on all the time, but per another conversation back with 3.1.8, we started cycling power before every event. After 3.1.8, the bug was hopefully fixed, and we stopped cycling power, but now it's creeping back in.

Chris...its going to take quite a bit of network configuration and testing to make the swap (yes, most everything is manual except for the DP and Axon), but I can give it a shot if you think it might help.

J
    edited September 2011
    hey Jon,

I am discussing with development this morning as to why this might be occurring again. Hopefully we will know something soon. The procedure of power cycling the DP8000 once a day is a good idea.
    edited October 2011
    So, I have gone through and switched everything to 255.255.0.0 (that was a pain!!!).

Now, the real question, do I take the chance and leave the DP8K up 24/7 to "hopefully" not have a panic and take the chance of a reset during an event??? Or do I keep power cycling????? And if I keep power cycling, how will we know if it helped.

Just curious....
    edited October 2011
    Jon, those are valid and good questions. I have been running tests here in the lab for the last three weeks trying to catch this error but so far not reproduced. I would err on the side of caution and power cycle the DP8000.
    edited October 2011
    That's what I figured Chris...I will continue power down on the 8K.

J