Full Boar - Art-Net Patching

z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
Gents,

It appears that the implementation of the 12-Universe Art-Net limitation on the Full Boar is managed by not allowing the last four universes of a DP to be patched to Art-Net.

I would REALLY appreciate it if this were managed in a different way. I just spent an hour on site troubleshooting an Art-Net connection. I am using eight total universes, but I have them patched to 1-3, 5-8, and 16 in the DP for organizational purposes. The 'fixtures' on Universe 16 were not responding and it turned out that it would only work on Universe 12 or below.

I understand the reason for the 12-universe restriction, but this is an issue that will only cause problems for users. As long as you are not trying to process fixtures on more than 12 universes I think that you should be able to 'use' any universe you want.

Regards,

Phil

Comments

• cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited September 2011
    Same thing today at an event,
    Crew very fustrated as the artnet universe were spread over the nodes in a non sequential manner.

Regards Cormac
  • eboxereboxer Registered User
    edited September 2011
    This was an issue for me last year as well...
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited September 2011
    I think the implementation is straight forward but we are always open to suggestions on how to not make the console more simple and straightforward to use. The 12 universe art-net output limitation is always bound to universes 1-12. I am not sure why that would be confusing. Is it just because we allow you to configure art-net for universe 13-16. The reason we allow configuration of art-net universes 13 and above on the Full Boar is so that users can still configure all 16 universes of art-net on DP8000 even if one isn't currently on the network. This allows you to be able to use an offline application such as Hog3PC to configure all 16 universe of art-net output while offline without having a real DP8000 in the room.
  • z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
    edited September 2011
    Totally understand Chris. And I should have remembered that.

But I think the fact that I didn't indicates that there is room for improvement.

I honestly think that you should be able to patch any universe on a Full Boar internal DP to any Art-Net universe. Seems to me that the console should just throw up a flag if you try to exceed the 12-universe limit.

Alternatively, I think that the console should at least give you a warning dialog if you try to enable Art-net from these universes when using a Full Boar.

Thoughts?
  • ahelgorahelgor Registered User
    edited September 2011
    Totally agree with Phil..
    -Limitation in which universes you can use in the art net standard is really not a good implementation. -Sometimes you don´t have control over what universes you need to patch into.
    -As an example it´s not uncommon to organize your patch in some way- to patch moving light universes in subnet 0 and media servers in subnet 1 as an example.
  • edited September 2011
    ahelgor wrote: »
    -As an example it´s not uncommon to organize your patch in some way- to patch moving light universes in subnet 0 and media servers in subnet 1 as an example.

There are no restrictions on what Art-Net universes you can send to. On a RHFB, you can only use Hog universes 1-12, but you can send them to any network destination you'd like.

Each output from the RHFB (and DP8000) can be configured to send to any Art-Net Sub-Net and Universe. By default, it's 1-to-1 on universe numbers, but you can easily change that.

So, if you need to send Hog Universes 1-4 from your RHFB to Art-Net Sub-Net 0/Universes 11-14 for your movers, and Hog universes 5-12 to Art-Net Sub-Net 1/Universes 2-9 for media server, you can do that.

You can even send the same Hog universe to multiple Art-Net and E1.31/sACN universes if you want to. This can be especially handy when you need to unicast to your media servers to work-around an older 10-megabit Art-Net installation.
  • ahelgorahelgor Registered User
    edited September 2011
    when I read the post again, I don´t understand how I missunderstood the original post..
    (I don´t have fullboars here, so I wash´t shire how the restriction was implemented, just assumed from phil´s post.)
    -Anyway, i´m glad I was wrong..
  • z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
    edited September 2011
    Eric/Chris-

I get it. I really do.

I don't even have a problem with HOW or the WHY.

My problem is that the console does not give you any clue that this DOESN'T work.

A) I can PATCH something to Universe sixteen of the internal DP.

B) I can ENABLE universe 16 in the Art-Net Outputs pane of the internal DP.

C) Nothing comes out.

D) I start looking at other things that might be going wrong.

Yes. Art-Net is very powerful and versatile on the console. Thank You.

Please consider that there may still be room for improvement.

PG
  • edited September 2011
    FWIW I agree with you. I'd like the see the last 4 outputs be grayed out so you can still configure them, but it will be clear that they won't work with the current hardware.