Constant Playback crash and ghosting. HELP!

Hello,
I have a 1 and half year old Roadhog.
Specs:
Wholehog software version: v3.2.1 (b 3186)
Road Hog Image Version : 1.8.0 - Build date : 3/31/2011
Road Hog Front Panel Driver Version: 3.0.0.58
Road Hog Front Panel Serial: 706
Road Hog Front Panel Firmware Version: 3
Road Hog Front Panel PLD Version: 1

*15" ELO touch screen w/ IOGEAR USB to VGA and a USB 2.0 hub
Had this set up for 4 months.

My Problem:
Been running V3.2.1 since it was released and no major problem.
But slowly one techs show started to crash but only once and a while.
Not sure what the crash was but then as of last week everyone's show is crashing.
As soon as you boot up the Hog the Playback would stop responding.

playback Not responding 200 -port=6600 -nodeid=1 -netnum=1

We would kill that then restart it. It would work for a bit then it would rear it ugly head again. Sometimes not for a while other times almost right away. Also the desktop would start ghosting. What I mean by Ghosting is that the cue1 on the Cue List pallet would stay on even though the List / cue has been overridden by another List. Example. Going from all fixtures Magenta, then to Blue. It happened but that display shows that they are both working still.

I have attached three pictures. Please let me know where I can send my show file to be tested.

Thank you for your time.

Dave
  • Hey Dave,

Thanks for the complete and detailed report. Sorry you are experiencing playback process issues right now but we got your back and will do what we can here in Austin to get the software running more stable on your desk.

Let's start with the ghosting issue. This looks to me to just be a case of one list not completely stomping another. In order for one list to release it needs to be completely stomped. So perhaps in your example you have intensity params in list 8 and not in list 7?

Now onto the serious problem of playback crashing/reliability. Since there doesn't seem to be any consistency to when the console is crashing it would be really helpful if you could pull the playback crash dmp files from the console and send them to me. (chris.muenchow at barco.com). These files are kind of like black boxes for out development team to use when debugging crashes.

Once thing to immediately try to alleviate the crashes, as crazy as it sounds, is to go into the network window, go into the settings of DP8000 #1, and disable all the art-net and sACN outputs. I know its a Road Hog and it doesn't even have a fixture link port but its one thing to try first.

Here's some information about getting us those diagnostic dmp files:

How to collect dmp files to send to support:
    - Load into any show
    - Insert a USB stick
    - Hit the [setup] button on the console’s front panel
    - Choose the “shows” button from the bottom right hand screen toolbar
    - The shows window will open
    - Click on the “file browser” tab
    - Navigate to the “logs” folder in the file browser
    - Drag any log files in this folder to the USB stick
    - Transfer the files from the USB stick to the hard drive of your computer and use upload.highend.com to send files
  • Hi Chris,
    Disabling all the art-net and sACN outputs worked! It also stopped the "ghosting" problem and the the console itself is much snappier. Feels like new.
    I am also transferring the log to you as I type. Hopefully it will shed some light on what the problem is. Once again thank you for the fix.
    Talk soon,

David Parkes
  • Hi Chris,
    Just wanted to let you know that the Playback crash is back but only once or twice a night not all the time like before.
    Hope you found something in the .exe files I sent you.
    If there is anything I can send you please let me know.
    Thank you,
Related