DHCP Automatic Release/Renew

Any way to get this put into the software? Basically the implementation I'd like to see is that if the fixture boots without being plugged into the network it defaults to the 169.x.x.x address, upon using this address, release/renew DHCP every 5 or so minutes until it gets any other IP address. Depending on how load-in is going, FoH isn't necessary set up before the DL-3's are up and running, which presents a problem when we have to cycle power to get them to release and renew their IP address onto our video network when it's finally up and running. Using 168.x.x.x as our network IP is not an option. I've tried using the command line with several different setups and I can't force it to release and renew. Thanks.
  • Instead of hard-resetting the units once your FoH is up, you could hook up a CMA laptop and reboot all the DL.3 severs via CMA.

Then simply disconnect the CMA and introduce your DHCP to distribute IPs as they reboot.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Hi Dalen,

The DL.3 fixtures will switch from their auto-assigned 169.254.x.x address to whatever address the DHCP network is handing out automatically once the DHCP is present on the network. This does take a bit of time (normally about 5 minutes, but it can take up to 10).

One thing to watch out for is that the CMA itself doesn't like changing IP addresses while it is running. So, if you have the network up and running on auto-ip, be sure to close the CMA while the computer gets its new IP address, then reopen the CMA.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
  • [QUOTE=schiefels;57098]Hi Dalen,

The DL.3 fixtures will switch from their auto-assigned 169.254.x.x address to whatever address the DHCP network is handing out automatically once the DHCP is present on the network. This does take a bit of time (normally about 5 minutes, but it can take up to 10).

One thing to watch out for is that the CMA itself doesn't like changing IP addresses while it is running. So, if you have the network up and running on auto-ip, be sure to close the CMA while the computer gets its new IP address, then reopen the CMA.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

We have yet to experience this with 12+ 2 spares. I will try again with a spare fixture tomorrow and time it to see when/if it changes. We have to cycle power in order to get them to take a new IP from the router. DHCP is enabled. I was aware of the CMA thing. Our crappy company-owned dedicated CMA computer doesn't like CMA to begin with, let alone when it acts up.

DL-3 software version is 2453. Will advise later after some testing.