updating issues

So I recently started working at a live event company where we are running version 3.1.7 on a Hog III console. In the past, new lighting people have come in and tried to update the board but have experienced issues with versions on intelligent fixtures and board version compatability. Basically, the versions that are uploaded to the moving lights are not compatable with the version that we are trying to update to, and people in the past have ended up having to go back to previous versions just to get everything working. In order to get the moving light fixtures updated, we have to send their card to the manufacturer to get flashed and then daisy chain them together and upload the rest of the moving lights. I have not personally encountered this problem with updating other Hog IIIs in the past, but I did not want to take any chances with this one. There is a cd drive (which works when it wants to), and a zip drive (which does not work), but no usb port available (there is one on the back of the console but that's for external touch screen monitors and the keyboard because I've tried using my thumb drive and it doesn't work). Has anyone else encountered this problem with updating their board? I'm hesitant to update because I don't want to deal with the headache of updating all the moving lights and the lecture from my supervisor.

Another issue I've encountered recently was trying to merge an RGBAW fixture profile into a show. I downloaded the current fixture library from the download page, and when I went to merge the file into my show, it would almost finish and at the last moment both screens would go black and the console would freeze. I contacted techinical support and they sent me the RGBAW fixture profile (twice), but every time I tried to upload it into the console, the Hog wouldn't recognize the file. I would click on the CD icon and the folder would be empty. I burned at least 8 cds (both on a PCs and a Mac), checked on the computer that the file was there, and even added the ".gz" when I burned the file on the Mac, and still nothing. I even tried the fixture builder, but unfortunately I could not get a hold of the dmx protocol for the fixture (which is the Color Kinetics ColorBlaze TRX) so I could not successfully complete that.

Any feedback on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Avi

:hogsign:
  • Hi Avi,

When updating any console in the Wholehog lineup, be it a Road Hog, Full Boar, Hog 3, or Hog iPC, the updated software does contain an updated fixture library but unless you load a new show the fixture library used with your existing shows files remain the same. Therefore there shouldn't be any concern about software updates hurting existing programming or library profiles already being used at the venue.

With that said, merging in newer revision libraries into existing show files can have an effect on existing programming but only if the fixture is a different revision of a fixture type you are already using... otherwise no potential harm.

In regards to your trouble with the RGBAW fixture profile it is likely that 3.1.7 might have some show merge bugs that were causing the merge to fail. This is where I would recommend upgrading to at least v3.1.9 and trying again. Also be aware that Macs like to alter archive files (our library files) on download without any warning which might be why our console wasn't detecting the library file. If you haven't done so already you might want to try using a Windows PC to download and burn the library file. The RGBAW profile should be in the latest library on the web as well (like you mentioned).
Related