Random Roadhog freezes

AndrisAndris Registered User
edited September 2011 in Wholehog 3 General Discussion
Since 3.2 I have been experiencing several random crashes where the console is unresponsive. There is no real trigger to cause it, sometimes it will hang after idling for a few hours or while normal programming. Upon opening the processes window, the playback process has stopped and a log-off/on clears it up for a while.
The desk has generated two .dmp files, where should I upload them to?

The problem persisted when updating to 3.2.1 so no resolution with that.
It's a Road Hog with 2 playback wings and IOgear USB>VGA adapter, but the problem still happens with nothing but power to the desk.

Comments

• cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited August 2011
    Send the dmps to me using https://highend.wetransfer.com/ and my email chris.muenchow at barco.com.

Go ahead and double check something for me. Open up the network window (setup, network), right click on the DP8000 and click settings. In the settings window see what your fixture link adapter settings are set to and see if any art-net universes are enabled.

I highly doubt anything in those settings is causing the problem but its worth looking at in the mean time.

Also are you using any comment macros in your cues?
  • AndrisAndris Registered User
    edited August 2011
    OK, uploaded dump files to your email address.
    edited August 2011
    No comment macros, but in the DP8000 processor settings window, the first 12 universes are checked under Broadcast and all have 255.255.255.255 as destination.
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited August 2011
    Go ahead and click the minus next to all of those art-net outputs to disable them and in the meantime I am working on getting those dmp files to a developer to look at.
  • ConsoleTechConsoleTech Registered User
    edited September 2011
    I have had SEVERAL separate consoles crash since updating all consoles to the latest software, v3.2.1. Unfortunately these crashes have been right in the middle of shows or worse, film shoots. Any word on what is going on? From what I have read this is happening to several people.

I am going to step the consoles back down to v3.2.0 for now and see if that will fix the issue until a more stable version is released. Any thoughts?
  • Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, HES Staff
    edited September 2011
    Chris

Can you please explain what 'SEVERAL separate consoles crashs' means?
    Is desktop crashing?
    Is this during programming or playback?
    Please delete all the log files in the log folder and the next time you crash please send us the file.
    edited September 2011
    To add a little update, I have disabled all the artnet outputs and the console has been more stable.
    I did have the playback process die during rehearsal on me the other day. Restarting the process suddenly launched several playback masters on my external wings, but was all back to normal on pig-release.
    edited September 2011
    Looks like I spoke too soon, now it's back to the playback process crashing fairly frequently (3x today). I can't find a common activity that causes this. Also for some reason I cannot trigger scenes, it acts like Guard is activated.
    An even newer issue is when a playback is chosen, the labels above the encoders are blank.
    edited September 2011
    And now the cuelist window for the chosen master does not show cue position, and does not advance, although the cues do change and I can see the cues in the playback bar change as well.
    Rebooting the desk did clear this up earlier today, but now it doesn't correct any of these issues on restart.
    Very Strange!!
  • BBCLDBBCLD Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited September 2011
    I have had similar problems. I have found that my desktop crashed so I restarted the desktop and everything worked fine for a while after that. I usually leave my console on. So far it has not happened at show time but it has happened during rehearsals and run-throughs. I can't find a pattern or anything that leads up to a crash. I understand the random part.
    edited September 2011
    Eric

Next time the desktop crashes please send us the dump and log files.
    Dumps are located in the following -setup- shows- show manager-log folder
    Logs - PIG+OPEN+1 right click on the grey border and save log file
    edited September 2011
    I just sent the latest dump file plus log to Chris.
    So far the issues I am seeing:
    -Cuelist window does not follow active cue
    -Scenes buttons status gets stuck (have to click on it twice to clear)
    -Scenes seem to be causing the playback crash.
    -Goto button stops working
    -Cuelist rate and Effect rate data is not visible when holding down choose button.
    -Cuelists disappearing from cuelist window when restarting playback process, gone forever.
    edited September 2011
    Andris

What version of software are you running?
    What desk are you using?
    edited September 2011
    Running 3.2.1 on a Road Hog with 1.8.0 xpe
    edited September 2011
    Andris

Please upload your showfile using https://highend.wetransfer.com/
    Please upload it to my email :
    [EMAIL="MGRAHAM@barco.com"]MGRAHAM@barco.com[/EMAIL]

Not sure what you are running into but once I get your showfile it will be easier to test.
    Can you please provide me with a step by step repro to get into any of the states you discribed?
    Does this occur during playback or programming?
    Also can you discribe your setup so I can match it in the lab?
    edited September 2011
    OK, showfile is on its way.
    I can't really say that there is one specific action that is causing the issue. I believe it happens more during playback, sometimes even when idle. I thought it was triggering scenes, but I can't get it to fail consistently that way.

Roadhog is connected to the older version IOGEAR USB to VGA adapter via one rear USB port and the other goes to playback wing#1. Wing#2 daisy-chained to wing#1.
    ELO 17" touchscreen USB and keyboard are taking up the 2 hub ports on wing#2.
    I tried running without the VGA adapter and ext monitor disabled, I am still experiencing the crash.
    edited September 2011
    Andris

I was able to recreate a Playback and Desktop crash using your show file.
    I am still looking into this and will let you know what I find.
    edited September 2011
    Andris

I think I have a repro, can you please confirm that this is what you wer doing when the desk crashed?

Load the show, open the scene directory, next page, trigger a bunch of scenes desktop and playback crash.

I am logging a bug for this right now but what to make sure I am seeing the same crash you are.
    edited September 2011
    That sounds familiar! I did change pages and then triggered scenes afterward, and I did open the scenes directory on startup, makes total sense now.
    So yes I believe that is it.

--Actually now that I think of it, I did have Scene 1 autorun on startup macro, but recently disabled that for an unrelated reason, and I do remember the crashing around the time I enabled that macro.
  • dunnlightsdunnlights Registered User
    edited September 2011
    Hey all,

I upgraded to 3.2.1 for this gig and I have had a number of issues with freezes and crashes. I'll upload my show files in the next day or 2. I only have one show day left. I believe I have my issue narrowed down to a programming syntax key combo. When I "pig" "live" "touch" "record" it creates a corrupt cue and logs off the dp 8K. I re-launch the 8K, it comes back on line but then crashes every time I execute something in that cue stack. If I delete the cue in question, it's fine.

I also have 2 dmp files that I'll get out to you.
    edited September 2011
    Richard

I have been unable to crash the DP8K process by performing a pig+live+touch record.
    When you can please upload your showfile.
    Please let us know what page you were on and what cues were playing.
    What desk are you using?
    Do you have any wings attached?