XKeys

z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
edited November 2011 in Wholehog 3 General Discussion
There's a thread about this in an old iPC area, but I thought I'd get more eyes here.

Has anyone used any of the Xkeys products successfully with any of the consoles, specifically Full Boar?

I would like to use this to activate Scenes/Cue Lists.

Cheers,

Phil

Comments

• edited August 2011
    The xkeys just sends keystrokes as if they were typed on a USB keyboard. So, using the xkeys you'll be able to do anything you can do with keyboard shortcuts.

So, to run a cue that's not on a playback, you could have the xkeys send "list 1 enter".

Beware that this isn't exactly like having a proper wing. The "list 1 enter" will only work if your command line is blank. You'll have to be in mapped mode too (as if you'd pressed the pause/break key).
  • stephenwykerstephenwyker Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited August 2011
    Use a little midi desk. I just started using a Novation Launchpad which is an 8x8 pad, that is easily mappable to virtual playback wings. set as flash, go, or latch. Under $100
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited August 2011
    Hi Stephen,
    could you explain a little more about the required setup on both the console and launchpad.
    I understand you are triggering keystroke commands on the launchpad but how does that work in terms of running cuelists on virtual playbacks?

Regards C
    edited August 2011
    Using midi notes, you can trigger play, pause, flash, or choose. So if you put a virtual playback on a display, say 2, then you map the notes to each. It's documented very well in the release notes for 3.1.7 when it was implemented. I mapped the choose and flash keys, so since its 8x8, it gives me 32 "executors" -- you can then use cuelist options to Go on flash and release on flash, or latch, etc.
  • z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
    edited August 2011
    Nice. Thanks Stephen.

I had wanted to get an xkeys as I can use it for some other stuff as well, but for less than a c-note this is a no-brainer.

PG
  • DannyDanny Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited November 2011
    Hi stephen,

I was looking at a novation launchpad but how do you connect it to the console? Because th pad i looked at had only USB output..

Greetings,

Danny
    edited November 2011
    You need a computer in between. I use an old laptop loaded with bomes to concert the midi to the channels the desk understands. It the outputs the midi data via an m.audio UNO to the desk
  • edited November 2011
    On the Hog3PC based consoles (RH, RHFB) you can directly connect a MIDI Class Compliant USB device. A quick web search reveals that the Launchpad is not class compliant, but there are other MIDI Button boxes that are.
    edited November 2011
    But liek I said, if you use a laptop, and a midi translator, any of those devices will work. You can use them internally to a networked hog PC, or have them output to a real midi device. Pretty simple solution, and it will let you customize the usage as well.
  • DannyDanny Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited November 2011
    Hi stephen,

Thanks for the reply....