3PC midi slaved to iPC master, but flying faders?....

I have a new Whole Hog iPC and a backup with widgets in a computer with 3PC running. I have successfully hooked them up now so that the board will fire midi out commands to the 3PC on the computer (with a $15 midi interface) and the 3PC will follow it with the cues running correctly, so have a slaved backup of the board so I could switch to backup if the board ever froze. But the virtual faders on the 3PC don't follow. Beause my show is pretty complex, if I ever had to flip the A/B switch, I would have to match the faders positions from the board to the computer virtual faders, but do it for every page of faders before I would be back to the same point in the show, and that cuold take a long time with a complex show, particularly if you can't remember them all off the top of your head.

In the Midi Windows there are windows about NOTE MAPPING and playback bars, is there any way to get these to make the faders on the 3PC track to the actual console?

Or any other way to do a true slaved backup?
  • Hi Mutley. I would recommend running v3.2.0 in your case as it provides support for running a network tracking backup that will solve the problems you are facing with matching fader levels and so forth. It's really a much better solution than tracking through midi which as you have found has some holes in its ability to track fully.

To answer your question directly, Fader control is not supported in our midi input note scheme. If we did support fader movement through midi notes it would likely sabotage our mini-wing hardware sales since it would leave the door open for users to pickup any third party USB midi device and turn it into a mini-wing.
  • Well, my faders might not be tracking, but I am. Thanks.

So all I have to do is upgrade both the iPC and the 3PC to the latest versions and I should be able to do a live tracking backup with both on the same show?

What sync config shoud I use? both on the same IP address, both on DHCP and Boot server and both on the same console number, or different console numbers? Different IP addresses?

Is there a write-up on it for that software version? I want to make sure I get it right.
  • Give the 3.2.0 release notes a quick read through....
    www.flyingpig.com/support/downloads/releasenotes/Wholehog_v3.2.0_b3148_Release_Notes.pdf

Also check out section 12.2.6 and 12.2.7 of the help manual:
    flyingpig.com/support/documents/manual_en062911.pdf

As fars as DHCP settings and so forth those can remain the same as you had before but I always recommend running static IP address as it provides the most consistent day to day operation...plus it prevents you from having to wait for network adapters to initialize and get an IP address from the DHCP server.
  • Dear Chris,

Thanks, but trying to do this synching linking with 3.2.0 on both devices gave me endless, varying, and often scary errors. At one point I totally lost the ability to put out DMX from the IPC console for about half an hour, despite warm boots, cold boots, and anything else. In the end I had to do the full system restore again to get the IPC back into an integral whole.

So I see there are issues with 3.2.0, so now I'll wait till you have 3.2.1, because I know you are working on this.

"The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of an oncoming train"

- Murphy.
  • Mutley, unfortunately your last post was generic in terms of what errors and issues you were specifically seeing during sync so it makes it difficult for me to offer troubleshooting advice. Can you please describe what errors you were seeing? Were the errors coming up during show load? Which console were the errors appearing on? How did you end up configuring your setup (net numbers, IP addresses, run server on one or both desks?). More than likely during setup you changed your internal DP8000 to a different net number other than #1 which wasn't possible in previous software versions and would cause failure to output dmx.
  • Dear Chris,

The errors were many over a 5 hour period while I was trying everything I could think of in synching linking.

I only have an IPC and a 3PC with a hub on an independent network, but I still can't get a failover backup working.

Additional to the equation, and I haven't mentioned this before, is that I have 2 HOG DMX USB universe boxes. I am running a 2 universe show, and the 2 universes from the IPC and the 2 from the 3PC go into an AB switch, so I can swap over to the backup at a moments notice. I just want the backup to be on the same page, literally speaking.

My assumptions, and I ask if you can correct me where I am wrong here, are:

I assume you have done this in factory conditions with an IPC and a laptop running 3PC, both version 3.2.0.

I assume that after a full system restore of the IPC, the settings of its control panel network page and it's load show page settings window (console number etc) would not need to be altered, infact are best left alone.

I assume that the network of units should only include the IPC, a 100baseT hub, and the 3PC (running on windows XP) computer.

I assume that I have to change the IP address in the Control Panel Network of the 3PC to make it run on the same IP address, but not to the exact same unit number to avoid a conflict - meaning I cannot use the default IP address settings, as they are already used by the IPC, so I have to go to static address and add 2 to the address number, because I also have to avoid the IP address of the DP in the IPC.

I assume that if I have the 3PC set as the same console number, that it should instantly load the show aross the network, make a local copy, and then start tracking flawlessly.

I assume that the screens of both units will display the same information, cue lists, console bar pages, touched selectiond, fader positions, etc.

I assume that if the board lost power, I could switch the AB switch from IPC to 3PC and no-one would even notice, and I go on running the show from there till I get the IPC back up and on line again, at which moment I could make it load the show from the 3PC, match the fader positions manually, and switch back over.

I also assume that already having the show in the board's show directory will cause it to make an alternate filename so as not to overwrite the existing file while it does a cross-network download for a local copy of a networked show (in the case of the local and net show having the same name.

Can you clarify what I might be doing wrong?

What would really help me it to know exactly what workable settings should be in the control panel network page for the 3PC and the console number settings.

Best, Mutley.
  • The errors were many over a 5 hour period while I was trying everything I could think of in synching linking.

I can't remember them all, but best said it wasn't so much in errors on screen, but errors in behaviour, ranging from 3PC syncing but kicking off after a minute, to synching but all responses from IPC were slow and delayed, with the delay increasing over time from half a second to 5-10 seconds after a minute, with all fades being very jerky in execution.

Most commonly, on the 3PC, although it would appear to sync normally, there was a yellow emergency icon in the bottom right corner of the right screen and none of the soft keys would work. That was the most common one.
Related