Network setup and issues

Hi Everyone

I,m trying to setup a network with the following on the same show.

2 x Hog3 IPC,s V3.2 (wired)
1 x notebook Hog3 PC V3.2 (wired or wireless)
1 x Tablet Hog3 PC V3.2 (wireless)
1 x Cisco E4200 router (DHCP)

I want to have 1 IPC as backup/tracking console, the notebook and tablet are clients.

How can I use the masters of the backup console as a addition to the primary consoles masters?

Now the issues I,m having

I just tried to network between the notebook and the tablet both running V3.2 HogPC with the router wired to the notebook as server, and then connect the tablet wireless and log in on the show file, I see the show but it appears for 10seconds and then it dissapears again and so on. When i try to connect it says "console has restarted since the server has shutdown" and after that "Show database init failure" after this HogPC on the tablet doesnt respond anymore.

Tried it a couple of times with the same result, also after a few attempts when I tried to restart HogPC on my notebook I got "hogclock init failure". had to reboot 3times before I got it running again.

Both tablet and notebook have the same netnumber "1" and the same port.

And the firewalls have all exceptions for HogPC on both tablet and notebook.
  • Also now when i try to launch a show on the tablet its say "hogclock init failure" after that it says The show server is not responding would you like to wait. If I press no the Hog3PC stops responding

Also the notebook is having hogclock init failures all the time :mad:

Makes me worry about V3.2 networking capabilities. Havent had issues connecting this test setup in 3.19.

Both HogPC,s seem to be messed up after trying to connect, reinstall didnt work either
  • To be clear, wireless connectivity is not officially supported.
    Hog3PC was not built with the intention of running wirelessly or as an RFU but as many users have found in the past it does work in some network environments and we do our best to get end users up and running with these setups if possible.

With that said v3.2.0 is a much more network heavy release as it relies on a cloud type show data management system which is what makes the failover feature in v3.2.0 possible. Because of this it is likely that v3.2.0 is more prone to losing connection over a wireless link. In the upcoming v3.2.1 release (which we are testing right now) we've increased the server loss timeout for wireless connections to make it less likely that a wireless client will lose server and log off if the connection hiccups or the traffic gets too heavy but it is still going to be possible that the connection will be lost.

Now there a few optimizations you can try to make it more likely to have your wireless setup succeed in 3.2.0. First, double check that all computers have their Windows firewall turned off (not just exceptions), disable any un-needed network adapters including bluetooth adapters, and disable any virus scan or malware protection software. Any wireless device connecting to the show must have "run server" unchecked at log on and should be assigned to a net num different that that of the main desk. Also don't connect the router to any greater WAN. Just keep it isolated for the LAN.

The HogNet clock init error on your laptop seems to indicate some process in Windows preventing the Hognet clock process from properly starting (probably the firewall, which theory can be proven by just disabling as opposed to adding exceptions).
  • [QUOTE=c_muenchow;56336]
    Now there a few optimizations you can try to make it more likely to have your wireless setup succeed in 3.2.0. First, double check that all computers have their Windows firewall turned off (not just exceptions), disable any un-needed network adapters including bluetooth adapters, and disable any virus scan or malware protection software. Any wireless device connecting to the show must have "run server" unchecked at log on and should be assigned to a net num different that that of the main desk. Also don't connect the router to any greater WAN. Just keep it isolated for the LAN.

The HogNet clock init error on your laptop seems to indicate some process in Windows preventing the Hognet clock process from properly starting (probably the firewall, which theory can be proven by just disabling as opposed to adding exceptions).

Hi Chris thanks for your heads up

All of the optimizations you posted have been tested without good results. I have a 100mbps wireless connection, with the previous version V3.19 I never had problems connecting and could rfu really far from the stage/foh.

Today i also got a new computer system with superwidget and wings, also tried to install V3.2 on this system but when I tried to setup a third touchscreen the system crashed everytime, and playback wing stopped responding. All hogclock init error accured at a point at which i already disabled the firewall, virus scanner and unused services.

I,ve had V3.2 installed on tablet, laptop, Hog IPC, and a HogPC system with widgets and wings. Al having stability problems and lockups just when programming/patching or moving items, not even in a network environment. Its verry weird having so much problems with 3.2 on so many diffrent systems.

Hated to downgrade to V3.19 but all systems have been running stable severall hours during some preprogramming, and with RFU connected. Will give V3.2 or perhaps V3.21 a try again after this show season.
  • Fair enough Hugo. Sorry for the troubles. We have done some good cleanup work in 3.2.1 that I think will help with these problems. I anticipate release of 3.2.1 this week. If you get a chance and can check it out that would be great and feel free to call the Austin office and ask for me if the computers continue to give you trouble with 3.2.x. I am determined to make sure our Hog3PC users out there are taken care of and can run their systems on the latest.
Related