Multi-Console Issues

Hi,

Everything running 3.2.0. Running an IPC as the showserver, net number 1. I've tried connecting to the show both wired and wirelessly via Hog3PC as both client and server, both with problems. Hognet runs on a dedicated network with only hog devices on it. Only one show is running on the network. The show file is a template show file created a few years back but most recently used in 3.1.9 without any issues.

Wirelessly:
Connected a laptop with strong wireless signal as a client to the IPC. It connects fine but after 30 seconds to about 5 minutes it would disconnect with a message saying that show server has been disconnected. The IPC wouldn't have any issues that were noticeable and I would be able to reconnect to the show. It almost seemed like the wireless signal was intermittent but i've used this exact setup with exactly the same hardware under 3.1.9 with no issues. The Windows 7 laptop also shows a strong wireless signal thru-out.

Wired:
Connected a desktop to use as a tracking backup with failover. Set it to net number 1 with server enabled. Repeatedly got a Server Init failed message on the HogPC computer. The network icon on the IPC changed to a yellow exclamation point.

Any thoughts on resolving these issues? Thanks for any assistance.

Eric
  • I'm reading thru the manual again in Section 12.2 and noticed that it seems to contradict itself and I'm wondering if that is maybe my issue for the wired setup where i'm trying to run a console as a tracking backup to the server.

On page 76 in the grey box it says that you can't set two physical DP-8000's to the same net num, does this also apply to Virtual DP's? On page 80 in the diagram at the top of the page it shows two DP-8000's both set to net num 1, which is how i was setting my system up. Could this possibly be my problem for the wired issue?

I'll check this as soon as I'm able.

Thanks
    Eric
  • Eric,

Running wirelessly as a server is definitely a no go. The sync over wireless is way too heavy to operate. Wireless units should only be operated as clients. As far a stability of the connection is concerned we have not seen any problem in our testing with remaining connected wirelessly but every setup is different. Which motherboard model iPC do you have and what kind of router are you using? I will continue to try and replicate this issue in our test lab.

As far as the DPs are concerned, when two DP8000s are set to the same net number one will come online as a duplicate and simply won't output. This is what should be occurring with the internal DP80000 on the client as it comes online. To be sure this isn't causing a problem in your setup you could simply change your PC client to net num 1 but then set the internal DP8000 to net num 2 using the settings window in the log-in screen.

Also, unless you are using an external DP8000 or have a super widget hooked up to your desktop computer then running a tracking backup with failover is not going to really benifit you since the output engine is inside the iPC. If you do have a super widget or an external DP8000 it is still recommended you offset your secondary console's internal DP8000 by 1 and then duplicate the patch.
  • Hi Chris,

My mistake in how i wrote that, the wireless setup was a client not a server. The message i got saying server had disconnected was on the laptop acting as a client. The wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G2. Also no DHCP servers are enabled on any of the devices, everything has static IP.

Eric
  • "Server init failed" errors usually indicate a bad or incomplete copy of the show file on disk. In multi-server environments this usually means the local/sync'd copy of the show file is bad (in your case this would be the copy of the show file stored on the desktop PC). You should try deleting the local copy of the show file on the desktop PC and then try loading again.
  • Eric, after speaking with support and getting your firewall turned off are you successfully connecting now?
  • I was for about a half an hour and then i got a message on the wireless client that the server had failed and the backup had taken over but nothing went wrong with the IPC or atleast nothing i could see other than the network icon changing to an exclamation point. The wireless client also was working better but then it also came up with the same message as earlier that it had been disconnected because the server was off line. So it seems like there was improvement, but the network connections still seems slightly unstable. Is there any sort of log that the console might keep that would help explain this? Or anything else that might be worth trying?

Thanks for all of yours and Paul's help. I appreciate it.

Eric
  • Go ahead and open the log viewer when running your system (pig+open+1) and after you experience the forced log off go ahead and right click above the word "display filter" and select "save log file" and save the log file to a USB stick. You can then send that to me using upload.highend.com and my email address chris.muenchow at barco.com.
  • Where is the log file saved too? I saved it but can't seem to find it on the hard drive.

Thanks
    Eric
  • When you right click to save the log file you can pick where you want to save it in the file browser.
  • Please let me know the out come of this, I am sure I will have this problem too.. Seems to be my luck. I have a show with IPC's and needing my laptop to be a RFU coming up.
  • The wired issues have been resolved, the tracking and the failover is working great and is a big improvement over having to continue reload an updated show during a tech when using MSC for tracking.

The wireless issues remain and i haven't had a lot of time to experiment with different options or even to save the log file to send to Chris, hopefully sometime today.

Eric
  • Hi Chris,

I just uploaded the file to you. I changed the wireless channel on one of the wireless routers and that seems to have helped the problem but it still happens occasionally.

Thanks
    Eric
  • Hey guys, Having the same issue at a festival currently, Not sure if it was solved. Have no firewall and have changed wireless channel a bit.

Running Hog IPC Server
    Win Vista home premium as client

Any thoughts? Its not critical for me but im in the field for a few days so i have time to muck around.

Kurtis
Related