iPC running 3.2 laggy DMX

j2theimij2theimi Registered User
We have a few iPC's in the shop, and it seems that after upgrading to 3.2 the dmx output lags when using the encoder wheels. DMX output seems to be fine when running an effect or cuelist, but when editing paramaters, the dmx will stop outputting until the encoder wheels stop moving...

Has anyone else seeing this?

Comments

• cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited July 2011
    How many fixtures are in your programmer when you are doing this? We have not seen this issue in our testing. Also, which motherboard models are these iPCs?
  • chadlchadl Registered User
    edited August 2011
    I have noticed this too. On my show I had 15 MacIIIs, about 30 source4s, and 14 colorblaze72s (36 ch mode)
    edited August 2011
    Jimi and Chad,

One thing to look at or try. Open the network window, find the DP8000 #1. Right click and select settings. Under the fixture link tab enter a static IP address of 192.168.0.1. Then go through the art-net and sAn tabs and disable all of the outputs. See if this helps with the output performance of the desk.

Chad, can you still reproduce this reliable on your iPC? If you have a show file that exhibits this with a certain fixture selection I would love to have a look at it so I can put it on our dmx scope and see what's going haywire here.
    edited August 2011
    Hey Chris,

I won't be able to see if I can reproduce this because all the gear (minus the IPCs) we sub-rented. I have a show file that when I get back to the office next week I will upload for you.
  • ShrunkenNedShrunkenNed Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited October 2011
    I've been having the same problems; laggy response from encoders, mostly when adjusting/fanning banks of leds.

I checked the DMX output window, and it confirms what I'm seeing live, laggy response. Everything performs perfect in cue playback and fader movement.

I tried disabling Artnet outputs as Chris posted, to no avail.

I only have this problem when I use my Template file, or merge from a previous show. When I create a new file, they perform as expected.

EDIT:
    Neglected to mention, I'm also on an IPC, 3.2.1
    edited October 2011
    Just to make sure:
    bug fix 15377 in 3.2.2 is just the onscreen drawing, correct? I shouldn't expect it to correct the above issue of live performance? Otherwise, it sounds close to being the fix...

I'll load it next week and report any findings
  • Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    edited October 2011
    Scott

3.2.2 has improved performance issues, so please test and let us know.
    edited October 2011
    That's correct Scott... however, on a system like the Full Boar where the internal DP and the desktop process are shared by the same processor and memory, its possible the fix for this bug (which helps aleviate stress on the desktop process) can also help the internal DP8000 to get the horsepower and computer resources to do its job effectively.
    edited November 2011
    Can verify same problem with 3.2.2 on my iPc.
    Laggy live encoder response remains. I've now noticed it on moving head units and it's visible when I select large quantities of more than 2 types/brands of movers and try to slowly roll pan/tilt encoders (previously, I only noticed it on LED color/int).

Select 1 fixture at a time and adjustments perform as expected.
    edited November 2011
    Scott, can you post how many fixtures and of what types are in your selection when you get this to occur. I would love to reproduce this issue here. If you want you can send me your show file using highend.wetransfer.com and send it to me chris.muenchow at barco.com. This way I can step in and do my best to smooth things out for you.
    edited November 2011
    Thanks, Chris.
    Uploaded to your mailbox.
    File is "AHA Plenary 102"
    edited November 2011
    Scott can you give me an example of a problematic fixture selection that causes the dmx issues with the show file you just sent me. This way I can see exactly what you are seeing.
    edited November 2011
    Also, Scott try turning off all the Art-net and sACN output to see if that helps with your show file's dmx output performance.
    edited November 2011
    I put the problematic fixture selection in the "comments' of the upload site. Weird that didn't come through.

"Here is my show file.
    Go to View "House ML". Under Groups, select Group 73,79, and 85 and adjust tilt of all at same time. Movement will not be smooth. DMX output window shows it normal, though."
    edited November 2011
    Disabled Art-Net and sACN as per direction in post #4 in this thread. Same response.

Noticeable when trying to tilt all fixtures.
    edited November 2011
    Gotcha. I'm going to be stuck in meetings the rest of the day but I will work on this a little bit more over the weekend and try and get you some answers beginning of next week.
    edited November 2011
    Excellent. I'll be on the console all weekend if you need me to run any tests.
    edited November 2011
    I am once again having this problem. This time I have 6 colorblazes (36 channel mode) 8 pixelpar90s (Max2 mode) and 36 lekos. I am sending you the show file right now.
  • QueerdooQueerdoo Registered User
    edited November 2011
    I also have this problem on my iPC. Iäm using 20 Max 250 (extended), 24 Mac Aura, 32 Octostrip and 48 generic channels.

I'm going live for a big event next week.
    edited November 2011
    Just an update. I have run the show files uploaded to me and done some testing and it does appear that the desktop process is taking quite a bit more CPU time in 3.2.X when doing encoder/trackball edits in the programmer. In turn the CPU essentially runs out of breathe and cannot give the internal DP process the attention it needs to keep a nice stead y refresh rate. In the cases I saw the refresh immediately recovered once the encoder movement or trackball movement stopped. v3.1.9 does seem to handle this situation much better and we are currently investing if and how the Hog iPC can be made to match the same level of performance under the newer 3.2.X architecture.
  • QueerdooQueerdoo Registered User
    edited November 2011
    Ok. So your tips is to downgrade to 3.1.9?
    edited November 2011
    Magnus, in the short term that might be best if this issue has the potential to effect your particular show.
    edited November 2011
    Oddly, I don't recall ever seeing this behavior during any of the 3.2.0 betas (which I always ran on iPC). I first noticed in 3.2.1 public release.
    edited November 2011
    Scott, its one of those things that deceived us in test as well. Performance issues can be sneaky and I think this just comes under the scope of application efficiency. The same code runs on the Road Hog and Full Boar consoles but their processors and motherboards are generally much more modern and equipped to mask inefficiencies in cpu demand from a single process. I have been meeting with development on this issue in hopes we can tighten up the screws so that desktop is less demanding during wheel moves.
    edited November 2011
    Great, thank you for following up on this
  • stankybcnstankybcn Registered User
    edited January 2012
    Has any forward progress been made on this? 3.1.9 is very stable and works well, but we will want to move forward eventually. For that matter with LD's coming through we will have to move forward eventually.
    edited January 2012
    I didn't see anything in the release notes of 3.2.3. Is there any news to report?

Thanks.
    edited January 2012
    No code was changed specifically to address the encoder wheel performance issue in 3.2.3. We investigated one method for fixing the issue but it broke several other things. In the interest of releasing 3.2.3 in a timely manner we pushed out fixing the issue until we get a healthy handle on getting it fixed the right way.
  • John DavisJohn Davis Registered User
    edited January 2012
    Hi Guys.
    I'm having the same problem with my iPC which has the new motherboard kit upgrade. The playback is fine but it stops playing when working with the encoder wheels. should I down grade too?

Thanks John Davis.
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for the update Chris.
  • dennisnaehrdennisnaehr Registered User
    edited January 2012
    hey chris,
    just checked my ipc and witnessed the same problems...touching encoder wheels means having laggy, unsteady dmx.
    any new ideas how to fix this? cause downgrading can not be the only solution, right?
    thanks- dennis
  • dennisnaehrdennisnaehr Registered User
    edited January 2012
    ahh, and by the way, mainboard was already updated to AIMB 562 by Arcus / Germany...
    No effect whatsoever...dmx still laggy!
  • raystreamraystream Registered User
    edited April 2012
    any news on this?
    i have the same problem with my ipc (v3.2.3 and ASUS A7N8X-VM/400)
    edited July 2012
    How about 3.2.4 - Any change? I haven't installed yet as I don't want to have to downgrade again.
    edited July 2012
    Nope, no change, unfortunately.