General Questions... (b3148)

jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
Running the new 3.2.0 software, I've noticed a couple of things to bring to your attention.

For background...I had started a new show and merged in EVERYTHING from an old show file. Wanted to make sure there was no old garbage being brought in from simply loading an old show onto the new software.

With 3.2, I have noticed about every 4 or 5 boots, the loading of the show will completely hang the console when the splash screen says "Desktop process loading..." I know DMX is flowing because the fixtures will all move to home, my startup macro starts it's countdown...but it just sits there, never actually loading the show and I have to do a full power down. Sometimes it will do this 3 or 4 times and then load the show finally. Other times, I've had to go in and load a backup file to get into the show. Like I said, this happens every 4 or 5 boots of the console.

I have turned off Autolaunch to see if that would help and it didn't.
I have deleted startup macros to see if that was the culprit and it didn't help.
Just can't seem to put my finger on why...

Also, every time I shut down, I end up with a "wait/kill" screen for a little while before it will actually shutdown the console.

Not show stoppers in any way, shape or form, but it seems odd.

It's the show file that Chris has...

Comments

• jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited July 2011
    As a follow up, I found something that may or may not help (since no one had responded)....

Today, same things happened. Console hung up with the startup macro counting down on the right screen and stopped at Desktop Process loading on the left screen.

Did a PIG-OPEN-BACKSPACE and the process window showed "Desktop - Not responding." RIght clicked and restarted the desktop and it immediately kicked in and finished loading. I'm now having to do this about every 3 or 4 console boots.

Any ideas??? Anyone???
  • tymontymon Registered User
    edited July 2011
    jxgriffi wrote: »
    Any ideas??? Anyone???

Was it on a real Wholehog?
    edited July 2011
    It's a Hog3, dp8000 and expansion wing.
    edited July 2011
    jxgriffi wrote: »
    It's a Hog3.

For some reasons, the Hog3 version seems always more buggy then its Windows-based counterparts. Sometimes I come to think of it as Barco's way of telling us the news that Hog3 becomes somewhat obsolete.
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited July 2011
    I am not 100% sure what is going on here Jon, but one thing that would be interesting to see is if turning off the DP8000 during console show load helps the console to be more successful loading the show. We are currently troubleshooting another show file right now that exhibits somewhat similar behavior in regards to not always launching cleanly. I am trying to draw some conclusions on that show file and right now what I am hypothesizing is the DP8000 connecting and loading so fast to the server that it is causing problems with desktop on the slower Hog 3. Let me know if this stabilizes show loads for you. This would be our first step at discovering some commonality between what you are seeing and what my test show is doing.
    edited July 2011
    I'm back in tomorrow Chris and I'll give it a shot. I'll let you know what I find out.

This would make sense because we leave our DP8K on at all times and just shut down the console. Very rarely do I ever power down the DP8K so I'll give it a shot.

J
    edited July 2011
    c_muenchow wrote: »
    . We are currently troubleshooting another show file right now that exhibits somewhat similar behavior in regards to not always launching cleanly. I am trying to draw some conclusions on that show file and right now what I am hypothesizing [blah blah]

come on, chris & everybody @fps/hes/barco! wake up! the time to hypothesize was like nine years ago. what we need now is a working console. give us one or give up. we are losing patience on the end-user side here, didn't you notice it yet?
  • nibornibor Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited July 2011
    thats got'a hurt,
  • Luminaire1Luminaire1 Registered User
    edited July 2011
    OK I give UP,
    how the F34k do you start a new thread topic on this site? i cant find a New Thread button anywhere! I need fixture lib for Varilite VLM , elation design wash , and Mac 250 wash For my Hog 1000 ? anyone?
    edited July 2011
    Glenn,

The "new thread" button is located at the top of each forum section.

Since you're searching for a fixture on a Hog 1000, that would go under Hog 2 Software.

I've attached a picture of the "New Thread" button.

But for ease, just go HERE and you can use the Hog 2 Library Generator software for your fixtures.

NewThread.jpg
    edited July 2011
    nibor wrote: »
    thats got'a hurt,

I tried being nice before, and it didn't work. The console has been out there for almost ten years now and still it doesn't work as it should. Going on pretending everything's fine when it's not will not get us anywhere.
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited July 2011
    Marcin,

You said "The console has been out there for almost ten years now and still it doesn't work as it should."

Hmm I know of thousands of shows over the 10 years that have had extremely successful shows using the console. There were some rough periods early on, but for the majority of the life of the product range customers have been very happy with their purchases.

We are dedicated to making the consoles and software the best possible and continue to do our best.
    edited July 2011
    Brad,

as I have already mentioned in another thread of this forum, I am really a Wholehog advocate wherever and whenever possible. In some terms, it is the best console ever. And I do appreciate its advantages, but still it has some major flaws. We need to face the reality: if on the very day of 3.2.0 public launch, which was supposed to get rid of most of these flaws, a vulnerability serious enough to force me to downgrade to 3.1.9 is exposed in the software, I have no arguments. This festival goes GrandMA2 next year, no discussion. And now I am the one to blame for the 40+ secs DMX freeze, because I was the one who insisted on keeping it on Wholehog this year.
    edited August 2011
    Chris,

Just wanted to post an update since I've been on vacation for a couple of weeks.

We now power down the DP8K at the end of ever session. Upon booting the console, the DP is NOT powered until the console has fully booted. This has alleviated the Desktop lockup issue. If we do have the DP on before the console boots, it will lock up almost every time.
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited August 2011
    Thanks Jon, we are wrapping up testing on a resolution to the log on stability issue as you have reported.
    edited August 2011
    Chris,

Does 3.2.1 cover the DP8000 load issue with the desktop crashing? I didn't recognize anything in the release notes.
  • Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    edited August 2011
    Jon

Yes, 3.2.1 should fix the desktop crashing on show load.