Hog 3 PC on Parallels, DP 8K not found

I've just installed 3.2 on Hog PC. I'm running Windows 7 64 in Parallels off a Macbook Pro. The issue I'm having is trying to get the DP8K I'm using to actually talk to Hog PC. Currently is sitting there initializing network, or searching for software. It won't actually join the show, or take a software upload.

It is running through a simple network switch.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
  • What network adapter is listed in the network tab of the control panel on Hog3PC? I would make sure it is set to the hardwired network adapter as detected by Windows and also make sure Hog3PC is set to a reasonable IP address such as 172.31.0.1 with boot server and dhcp server running. The DP should at least then be able to initialize the network and get and IP address.
  • Chris,

The Hog net adapter is the intel Pro/1000 MT network connection. That drop down box is greyed out and won't give me option to pick any other adapter. However, the wireless is turned off, and that adapter listed is the hardwired one.

Hog PC is set with that IP address you listed and it is running DHCP and boot server.

I turned off DHCP on the DP, and when I do that is shows an IP address of 0.0.0.0. When that setting is on, the main screen just shows initializing network. When I manually assign an IP address to it, then it bounces back and forth between initializing and searching for software. At no time does it ever act like it is seeing Hog PC..
  • Basically what that tells me is that the Hog3PC DHCP server on your is not reaching your DP. This probably means the DP is also going to have trouble connecting to Hog3PC with a static IP address as well. What we need to do is trouble shoot the network and find out what might be causing the issue. Double check that your firewalls are all turned off in Windows.

Have you run this setup before with older Hog3PC versions? Since we don't technically support Hog3PC in parallels I do not have equipment to setup and test with but other forum users my be able to chime in with any advice. I know there are several ways to configure networking in parallels as well. forum.parallels.com/thread1877.html
  • I've got all the firewalls turned off.

I'm sure it's some small setting that is keeping things from talking. Parallels is a bit odd with some of it's network settings.

This is the first time I've tried running this setup, but I was hoping I could use it to get me out of an awkward festival situation this weekend.

I know it's not supported, but I appreciate the help with this. I'm sure there are a lot of other Mac guys out there that would do the same thing as well.

Thanks,
  • When you run a virtual machine like parallels, the VM software has to run a virtual network switch internally to share one network port between the host OS and the VM, and then present an emulated network card to the guest OS. In my experience, these virtual switches are very unreliable, especially when it comes to multicast traffic. They simply don't get the multicast packets to and from the VM's emulated network card reliably.

Hog3pc is heavily dependent on multicast. This is a large part of why we don't recommend using virtual machines. You can sometimes get it to work with 3PC communicating with it's own pretend DP8000 on the same guest OS, but using physical DPs and other consoles is going to be troublesome at best.
  • It works fine if you disable the virtual switch. Click on the || and go devices, then network 1, select bridge network, and click ethernet. This will then bridge the "virtual windows 7 network adapter" to it's own mac address. It will then "directly" communicate with the ethernet port instead of sharing the default adapter, and blocking the required multicast traffic. Same applies for using CMA or any other network software that directly talks to equipment.
  • I do exactly what Stephen suggests. I do the bridge the ethernet port directly to Parrallels and then I go into Windows and manually set the IP to 172.31.0.1.
  • Different VM software calls things by different names, but "Bridging" is a virtual network switch. The software has to sort our which packets need to be delivered to which VM (exactly what a network switch does). It works very well for unicast and broadcast, but multicast historically has been hit or miss. It will sometimes work, sometimes not, depending on exactly what software and version you're running. It's supposed to be exactly like having a real network card for your VM, but it's not.

If you get it to work on one particular version: Great. But don't count on it.
Related