Bug- change path crash v3.2

chrislighthallchrislighthall Registered User
Hog PC- windows 7
2 road hog wings with internal super widget

The software crashes when I try and change a cues path from the cuelist stack. The desktop closes but the computer still thinks the software is running. I have to restart the PC to relaunch hog PC. This happens in a previously built show as well as a fresh show. It has always crashed when attempting it.

Thanks
Chris Lighthall

Comments

• Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    edited July 2011
    Chris

I am unable to recreate a crash while changing the path on a cuelist.
    What path were you changing to and what path were you changing from?
    How may cues were you changing?
  • chrislighthallchrislighthall Registered User
    edited July 2011
    I was changing from the default linear to anything. It crashes as soon as I hit set. I don't even get options. This happened on multiple shows. I can try reinstalling.

Chris
    edited July 2011
    Chris

Can you send me your show file?
    I have been unable to recreate this problem on any platform.
    edited July 2011
    I will work on sending that to you. Changing the path worked through all beta cycles. It's just this latest build that it started acting up. I still haven't reinstalled the software. I will do that today. Thanks.

Chris
    edited July 2011
    Michael

File should be on its way.

Thanks
    Chris Lighthall
    edited July 2011
    Chris

I got the showfile, I will look into this today.
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited July 2011
    This is interesting. I've have been working with Mike to try and reproduce this with your show file and help out but unfortunately its not happening for us. Is there a particular set of windows you might have open? What if you double click in the path cell?
    edited July 2011
    I believe it is unique to this file. I networked into an iPC today and it isn't showing either bug I listed. As far as windows open. Usually I just have the "show" view open.

I will try double tapping the window.

Chris
    edited July 2011
    Double tapping has the same effect. I can also crash when trying to change path inside the programmer.

It only crashes the desktop, not the entire system.

I didn't update my widget or wing panels when I upgraded from the last beta drop. Would that make a difference?

Thanks
    Chris Lighthall
  • TmpendergrassTmpendergrass Registered User
    edited July 2011
    I'm having the same issue as Chris. Im running hog3pc 3.2.0 on bootcamped Mac mini. Crashes as soon as you hit set.

Thanks,
    Thomas Pendergrass
    edited July 2011
    Lighthall, are you running on a Mac in bootcamp as well? This might be why we haven't been reproducing this is because we have not yet tested against this issue on a bootcamp system.
    edited July 2011
    I am running a standard PC. Windows 7 running in 32 bit mode.

Chris
    edited July 2011
    I also have a version of 3.2 on a boot camped Mac (windows XP). My show file works there. This has to be related to my system/ hardware (2 fullboar wings and windows 7 machine). Can I give you guys any system information that would help you out?

Thanks
    Chris Lighthall
    edited July 2011
    Hey Chris. Triple check for any firewall or UAC settings or virus software that might be enabled. I have a feeling it has less to do with the hardware and more to do with how the operating system is configured.
    edited July 2011
    I will. I should note that this worked correctly through the beta drops. It might have worked with the release candidate (can't remember). Something changed from one of those beta drops, I suppose.

I will get back with you with OS info.

Chris Lighthall
  • RaraAvisRaraAvis Registered User
    edited August 2011
    Hi,

I'm having the same trouble with trying to select the path option anywhere crashing the software.

I'm running 3.2 with UAC off and Firewall off. Aero off.

I've also tried a whole bunch of computability stuff in Windows to no avail.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional

Should I try completing all my windows updates??

Thanks
  • RaraAvisRaraAvis Registered User
    edited August 2011
    Ive just run the program in safe mode and paths works fine.. I think it's related to the processes or services I have open..
    edited August 2011
    I just got the console back home and did some trouble shooting today. I have been updating the Hog OS no the road so the computer is currently running 3.2.1.

I booted the computer without the wings attached. I just used a single monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Loading the same show I have been using all summer, I could not duplicate the issue. My guess is that one of the three pieces of hardware (full boar playback wing, full boar programming wing, internal super widget) is causing the path issue.

I did a system update to the machine and reinstalled the Hog OS without the hardware connected (every time I have done a Hog update, I have had the wings attached). Tomorrow morning I will hook the hardware back up and see what happens. If the issue shows back up, I will boot the system with just one piece of hardware until I discover if it is a specific piece.

Any other ideas on what I can try?

Thanks
    Chris Lighthall
    edited August 2011
    Those seem like good troubleshooting steps. If the issue comes back we'll have to try to look at log viewer to see if we can catch the crash.
    edited August 2011
    I hooked up both wings. Both wings cause the crash. I don't have a way to isolate the internal widget, but only one of the wings has it.

When I loaded the drivers, I was given an error message. The wing and widget drivers loaded correctly, but I was given a "HES uploader error" or something like that. I don't remember exactly.

Thanks
    Chris
    edited August 2011
    Plug in one of the wings
    go into Windows device manager
    right click on the wing
    And select uninstall
    Then unplug and replug the USB to the wing
    This will cause a reload of the driver
    See if you can grab a screen shot of the error if gives you or at least take close note of what it says. Sounds like that is the root of the issue and once we get it resolved the inlace edits should stop crashing Hog3PC.
    edited August 2011
    I did all that. After I reconnected the wings, I checked the installation status. It said it installed all the devices correctly.

I reinstalled HogPC and got the same install error as before.

It actually says "HES Unloaded Widget"

I have a screen shot attached.

The thing I don't see is that I didn't have this problem until the release candidate for 3.2.

Chris
    edited August 2011
    Those are actually expected messages from Windows 7 which is known to report a false positive for our USB devices on initial load. As long as they show in device manager as running and happy devices then that shouldn't be a problem.

I guess my next question is does the problem with the inlace edit to the path cells go away when you unplug the wing or is the system permanently broken now?
    edited August 2011
    Unplugging the wings after the software and show has loaded: Crash

Rebooting computer and launching software without wings connected: Works

Reconnecting wings after software is loaded: I can change the path on the cue I changed the path on one time (without the wings). Programming a new cue and trying to change path did not work.

Chris
    edited August 2011
    Chris

I have this setup right now and am still not crashing the desktop when changing a path.
    I am using a windows 7 64bit machine with a RH playback and programmer wing attached.
    Can you please get a log file for me?
    Sitting in Launcher hit (pit+open+1)
    Hit the clear button on the log viewer
    Launch into your show and perform the repro, once the desktop is crashing hit pause on the log viewer then right click save log file.

Thanks for all your work in helps us find this problem!
    edited August 2011
    Michael

I will upload the log file to the upload server.

I should note that I am running windows 7 32 bit. I attached a screen shot of the system screen.

Chris
    edited August 2011
    Chris

I had one of our Developers look at the log but it did not give us the information we were hoping for.

Ok so I need to recreate your setup 100%.
    I am going to list everyting out please correct me:

Computer - Windows 7 32 bit
    RH Playback and Programmer wing attached (one has a superwidget)

Do you have any keyboards or a mouse attached (PS2 or USB)?
    Any extra monitors hooked up?
    Are the RH wings monitors setup as a single monitor or as two monitors?

Please upload your showfile again.

Again thanks for your help as we try to solve this problem.
    edited August 2011
    Windows 7. 32 bit. Recently updated using windows update.

Two RH wings. one playback and one programmer.

Two monitors acting individually (separate screens). Not using onboard video card from PC. Using video card installed by me.

Main display is on the left display (windows).

The hog windows are: secondary is on the left. primary is on the right ( just like full consoles.)

Wings are setup with playback on left and programmer on right.

Super widget is installed in the programmer wing.

That should be it.

The show file I am uploading is very new. I just created it. The two cues I programmed are just for testing this issue.

Chris
    edited August 2011
    You mentioned that when unplugging plugging the wings the problem went away.
    When you unplugged the wings was it just the USB or did you also unplug the VGA and switch to a different monitor?
    Just trying to figure out if it is a USB problem or maybe a hardware problem.
    edited August 2011
    I unplugged just the USB from the wing. VGA was still connected and working.

Chris
    edited September 2011
    Small update

I switched PCs to a windows XP machine and no path issue.

I will keep testing new builds on the windows 7 machine, but will keep the XP machine as the primary.

Thanks
    Chris.
    edited December 2011
    When the show got home this month, I had a little more time to work on this issue. I found the problem. The problem were the drivers for the ELO screens. I uninstalled them and reinstalled a fresh download. All is good.

I think it's interesting how just the Path selection was affected by this.

Thanks
    Chris Lighthall
    edited January 2012
    Chris

Thanks for the update!
    I will talk to our guys and see if the can shead some light on this.
    edited January 2012
    Chris

Can you please tell me what ELO drivers were on the computer and what drivers you are using now?
  • FutureWeaponsFutureWeapons Registered User
    edited March 2012
    I'm getting this error now - newest software on Win7, only hardware I have is a USB widget. Did anybody ever figure a fix? I have a gig tomorrow I'm trying to finish prepping for... :/

Looks look I'm still on 3.2.2, I'm going to see if an update fixes things...

Updated to HogPC to 3.2.3 and this error persists. Initially I can change paths, but then I inevitably get a program crashing error after it's been open for awhile. I have to restart my computer to get Hog to reopen when this happens. :aiwebs_007:

Uninstaled ELO touchscreen drivers (since I'm not using ELO touchscreens) and it seems to work again - will report back if this fixes things or not.
    edited March 2012
    FutureWeapons

Did uninstalling the ELO drivers help you?
    Can you please tell me what drivers were installed on your computer?
    edited March 2012
    I can't remember exactly what I had done. I feel like I installed the ELO multi touch drivers, because the software versions are slightly familiar.

Let me see if I have the files on a drive somewhere, but I feel like that's what I did. I know for sure that I got the drivers from the ELO website.

Chris
  • FutureWeaponsFutureWeapons Registered User
    edited March 2012
    I had a couple shows and everything worked fine, however I was careful to do zero programming with paths on site for fear of crashing. I'm heading to my studio to work on my show tonight, I'll give you feedback as to whether my issue was fixed or not.

I had whatever ELO drivers came bundled with 3.2.2. I uninstalled them after upgrading to 3.2.3.

If you need a show file, where would I submit it?

Edit: I tested and still have the problem with crashing. I'll restart HogPC and everything works fine, then eventually the crash will instantly occur when I try to choose a path.
    edited March 2012
    Please upload your show file using https://highend.wetransfer.com/.
    Can you please provide me with a repro on what you were doing, what list in playback what fixtures in the programmer?