Ideas for effectsengine

GildebrandGildebrand Registered User
I think that the effects engine would be absolutely great if you added a few features to it.

* A spread parameter. Yes, like fanning offset, but an additional parameter for it.
* A "plus" parameter (No it's not a good name for it, but that's what it's called in chamsys). Simply determines which side of the base value the effect is working. One normal option where it works as normal, plus where it only works above the base value, and minus where it only works below the base value.
* I think 100% size should be what's now 50% size. (Because when it's at 50% size, it is going between 0 and 100%, an amplitude of 100%).
* To get the effects visualised on it's table, and being able to select which tables/parameters to visualise.

* An integrated curve/table editor, this is where my big ideas are.
- Being able to copy an existing curve and work with it.
- Editing and creating the tables points, and select if the points should be of type corner or beizer curve.
- Creating table points of kind "Palette point", where the points value is referenced to a palettes parameter. This could be used to create the "Effects between palettes" as someone on the forum requested.
- Working with multiple curves at the same time, like working with layers in photoshop.

It could be looking something like this
462iFsaWlBQ63dbnfNVf2ee+5BX7q6uhzXXeHGxW2HS5ij2HiDTJ5xBTqnQbPRtGnTkOZdiFdptVrR5

Comments

• bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Thank you Gildebrand,

Many of these items are already on our to-do list for an effects engine rework we have planned. I will see that those that are not already logged get logged.

thank you,
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited June 2011
    Gildebrand wrote: »
    * A spread parameter. Yes, like fanning offset, but an additional parameter for it.

The current way is good quite good and simple for me, though you have to do a bit math or add an additional fixture... But a fast way to spread offset with current syntax would not be bad. Like Steph's suggestion 0 thru enter in other thread.
    But controlling effect spreading would be nice...
    See this thread http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=3596
    * A "plus" parameter (No it's not a good name for it, but that's what it's called in chamsys). Simply determines which side of the base value the effect is working. One normal option where it works as normal, plus where it only works above the base value, and minus where it only works below the base value.

A way to have only the negative part of table would not be bad.
    See this thread http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=3573
    * I think 100% size should be what's now 50% size. (Because when it's at 50% size, it is going between 0 and 100%, an amplitude of 100%).

Well, that depends on what table, what base value you are using and on what parameter.

Like Sine wave on intensity with base of 0% and size 50% results 0%>50%, cause negatives values are cut out (there is no negative intensity)
    and btw, there is no size 100% on pan and tilt... Hog uses real values.
    Sine wave on intensity with base of 50% and size 50% results 0>100% (Sine goes between -50 and 50)
    Mark on wave on intensity with size of 50% and base of 50% results 50%>100% cause mark on has only positive values.
  • GildebrandGildebrand Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Another idea is to add Part and Buddie parameters to the fx-engine. To create a part/buddie effect now, i'd have to select part/buddie-type and then enter the offset again.
  • Firewood1Firewood1 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited February 2012
    Hello,

Just read above that you are planning a rework of the Effects Engine.

Please please please don't change it too much. In my opinion, the dreadful way in which the MA deals with effects is it's major let down so I very much hope your changes will not spoil what is already fantastic.

I would love to see a feature however whereby a cue stack can be turned into an effect.

For example, plot 2 cues with a CMY fixture changing between any two colour palettes. Then, turn that into an effect, which can then be assigned to other CMY fixtures, where fanning and size/rate adjustment is possible.

I believe this would add a huge benefit and give more control over the effects, without making it over complicated and time consuming.

I'd be grateful to hear your view on this.

Cheers

Colin
  • runbmcrunbmc Registered User
    edited August 2012
    I agree with Colin (above). While it is possible (with an amount of maths and some mucking around) getting a specific order to your chase is hard and impractical on the fly.
    Being able to save chase cue stacks as single cues would be very valuable.
    However, using macros there is a way to do this Colin.
    you can select 'assert list X' in the macro box in your cuelist window, and of course 'release list X'.
  • Firewood1Firewood1 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited August 2012
    Hi Henry,

I think you have misinterpreted my suggestion. I am already aware of the use of macros to control other cuelists, but thankyou for the thought.

To elaborate on my suggestion, I would love to be able to plot a series of cues in a cue list and then tell the console that I want that cuelist to become an effect (not a chase - but effect just like sin, step etc). Then, whatever those cues did, I could apply them to other fixture of the same type, or a range of fixtures then have full control of offset, rate, size etc, just as if it were a sin wave.

This is possible on the Magic Q and is an absolutely fantastic and powerful feature that opens the door for some really easy to create effects. Hopefully Flying Pig will consider implementing it into the improved effects engine.

I'd love to hear their thoughts.