User Fixture Numbers with Decimals

z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
I would like to be able to number fixtures using multiple decimal places. i.e. RGB LED 501.1

As an extension, I would like to be able to select a group of fixtures by selecting their whole number fixture number.

Example:

To patch a ColorBlaze 72, I actually patch a dozen RGB LED fixtures out of the generic library. The designer thinks of this fixture as a single channel number, but I actually work with it as multiple channel numbers.

Ideally, I would like to patch this as fixtures 101.01 thru 101.12. If no fixture is patched as 101 (with no decimals), selecting fixture 101 would result in selecting all twelve of the sub-fixtures.

This allows you to think of a physical fixture as a whole (101) when necessary, but also allows you to properly work with the individual cells as part of larger groups.

For instance, ColorBlazes 101 and 102 can easily be recognized and grabbed, and you can still effectively use console functions such as fanning with the individual cells.

PG

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited May 2011
    I understand what you are asking for Phil, but wouldn't it just be easier to build a Group and call it "Unit 101" or something regardless of what the actual Fixture Numbers are in the desk?

If you also put this "Unit xxx" info into the NOTE column in Patch you can see this in the Programmer and other Editors if you like as well to help keep track of it all.

Hope this helps. :)
  • z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
    edited May 2011
    Yeah Marty. There are definitely ways to work around this.

But I do still think that this would be useful terminology/syntax to have available in the future.

PG
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited May 2011
    I'm not opposed to the idea if you think it would be easierfor you, but fot me having to enter a decimal plus two extra digits for selection via keypad seems like a lot more work/things to keep track of.
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Phil..

Multi-part fixtures is definitely planned for the future and will likely use the decimal in a manner similar to what you describe. It is an important feature for LED and digital products.