TrackSpot help needed ...looping on Self Test

Hi,
New to the forum and new to ML's in general. Luck would have it our community theatre received a donation of 14 Trackspots along with a bunch of other Clay Paky Golden scans, Super scans and traditional lighting fixtures. I will be selling a bunch for the theatre if you wish to contact me off list....
Here's my problem...
I have been attempting to clean up and test the Trackspots.
Have applied power to 5 units and the results are all the same..
I have done this without the lamps installed just to verify what the Self Test sequence might look like...
Power.. OK..
Enable LED OK
FAN LED OK

Self Test sequence starts with Mirror Homing to stops if the mirror is positioned away from home. The motors appear to work ...
But the self test loops.. never completes and the it does not appear that the DIP switches for Personality work as I cannot set the Focus Sequence...

After reading the other forum entries... it seems that that Large Humming after the Mirror home... Is really an Self test failure alarm...
(BTW.. where is a copy of a tech manual online.. I have some experience as a Field eng..(read...old fart:D) )

So after trying to think through what might be the issue... I looked at a few units all lined up together.. and finally realized that ALL the GOBO wheels have been removed... :aargh4:

So it seems that these are not cheap.. Lightparts seems to have it...
Is this this the correct PN.. 80200003
There is also in the TS manual a "Modular Gobo wheel with tabs"
Is this a Gobo Wheel with all empty slots that you can place your own M size gobos in?
Anyone have ideas as to where to pickup used Gobo Wheels for these units.. the theatre I volunteer for cannot spring for new wheels for these...
What I really wish to do at this point is to finish testing these... I cannot since the ST fails... due to Gobo Wheel missiing...

I had a thought that maybe I could rob one of the other units of a Color Wheel and place it into the Gobo Wheel spot just to get past the Self Test calibration homing test....
Question is: will this work? Can i damage the unit or the second Dichroic wheel by having to much heat generated by passing thru 2 filters...
Is the Sync Pulse tab on the Gobo wheel the same as the Color Wheel... ie: will this idea work???

Thanks to any and all responses..
I am a it frustrated since I had hoped to work on these units to get them ready for use.. and possibly sell some of the units to raise funds for the theatre for much needed fire proofing of the curtains....
  • For what it's worth, you are never getting through homing . . . the self test had not started. Or are you not trying to run the selftest from the dip switches, and just watching it home, and calling it the wrong name?

I don't see a reason why a color wheel would not work for test. The tab is not a "sync pulse" but more of a "where the hell am I" on/off inidication used only when homing, and never again . . .
    So, if the wheel diameter (and number of openings) is the same between color and gobo, you should be good for test.

- Tim
  • BTW... did u not see who posted the message...
    For those others reading this..Tim and I know each other from our "Day Jobs"
    except I am not sure he realized it yet...

apologies for my archaic description of the Homing process... so the sensor looked similar to old Tach Pulse sensors on printers... years back... Sue me..:09:

Using the second color wheel got me through the ST alarms.. and the ST now completes... So far so good...

Of course not having a Gobo Wheel is problematic.. so I am in the hunt for used Gobo Wheels..

Next up is to lamp it and see what double dichroic filters will look like for grins:D.
  • Nope, I sure didn't! Small freakin' world though! Names don't show on the "reply" screen, and I spend more time there than reading the initial post . . .

And yeah, probably the same sensors, just these read realllllllyyyyyy slooooooowwwww compared to printers!

If the index tab is in the same place on the gobo wheel (and I suspect that it wold be . . . likely the same wheels on both . . . ) then you should home to open on both wheels, and color select will get you a color . . . and gobo select will also get you a color, but you can at least make sure they respond consistently.

And I *was* thinking that this sounded awful familiar . . . . I just hadn't noted the small print with your real name on the post . . . in "reply", it's not shown . . .

You might try Towards2000 (t2k.com or lightbroker.com) for wheels from salvaged fixtures, and LightParts will have them, but likely at new prices . . . . I can't imagine these being too bad, though, since stuff of that era was just metal outlines, not glass . . . (For what it's worth, LP wants around 60 for the wheel . . . perhaps not what you want to spend, but damn cheap as gobo wheels go. I recently paid over that for *one* gobo, and one of my fixtures lists the wheel at about $600 for fixed, and $1400 for rotating . . . trust me, you are getting off cheap!).

Just looked: LB has what they call "Intellagobo" wheels for Trackspot, three replaceable, the rest match stock - for about $30 . . . you might want to give them a call.

www.lightbroker.com/id50.htm

- Tim
Related