Cyber blowing F1 fuse on power-up

I have a Cyber that instantly blows fuse F1 when the unit is switched on.

Tried a different power factor cap - same thing. Swapped the PSU board with a working unit and the problem followed the PSU board. Also tried powering-up without a lamp - no difference.

So am assuming the problem lies somewhere on the PSU board.

Any suggestions as to likely faulty components?

Thanks,

Scotty.
  • F1 feeds the fixture power transformer, so if the 28V motor supply is shorted, it may well take out that fuse, since that supply does not appear to be fused on the secondary side . . .

No lamp power runs in F1, so the P Factor cap and lamp will not be involved . . . D9 and D10 on the power board are a half of a full wave rectifier pair of the 28V AC power from the transformer, complementing the two SCRs that are the "heart" of the 24V switching supply, and if either faults in a short, it will ground that supply . . . which could well take out F1. Do you ever see any motor movement, or signs of life on the 24V DC rail? D9 and D10 are in the input to that supply, so if they fail, all motor power will go away as well . . . .

- Tim
  • Thanks Tim. The fuse blows within a second of switching the unit on so it's a bit hard to tell what happens. The three LEDS on the PSU board flick on for an instant.
  • In retrospect, SC5 and SC6 could also cause the same thing to happen . . . Do you have a decent meter? Read across these components, and see if any of them show a short . . . Since you say the problem follows the PSU board, then that rules out the transformer, and anything on the logic card . . . and the only thing that feeds from the transformer that does not have it's own fuse is the 24V supply . . . if any other was bad, you would be failing F2 or F3, unless one is grossly oversized . . .

If you can remove lead 4 or 5 from the transformer connector, that will isolate the 28V AC/24V DC supply, and if the unit will come up and F1 will hold, then that confirms that the location of the problem. From there, it's a matter of getting out the schematics and working your way through the circuit, but the only two solid state devices that are across the 28V line are the ones I mentioned, and then there is C7 on the output side, which could also fail . . .

Page 6 of the Cyber power board schematic is your friend . . . www.highend.com/pub/products/automated_luminaires/CyberLightTurbo/Cyber_PSB.pdf

- Tim
  • Thanks again mate. I'm usually happy to bumble around with a meter and the schematic but not being able to power this one up had me stumped.

D9 was indeed the culprit.
  • I have exactly the same problem. See my message :

Hello everyone.
    I apologize for the length of this message.

I'm a nightclub DJ (Le Joinville to The Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, France), but I'm also in charge of maintenance of all fixtures.

I explain the situation: we have two Cyberlight CX but since several months, only one worked. We finally decided, my boss and I, to repair the second.

We have disassembled the Cyberlight from its support and completely disassembled the lamp compartment (transformator, power supply board, capacitor, ...) because we knew it was a power problem (no light, fan, or led).

Having established the integrity of the power cable and the proper functioning of the primary fuse (F1), I turned to the internal wiring and bingo: some cables, because of the lack of interviews (the time when I was not working yet in this club) were severely damaged.

To test, I plugged the power cable directly into the power supply board, bypassing the two safety switches (the wiring was faulty). I set the switch to ON and the Cyberlight finally came alive.

So I finally knew the reason for our problem. I then proceeded to change all the power wiring (main switch -> safety switch 1 -> safety switch 2 -> Power supply Board) by news cables.

I reassembled the Cyberlight and made news tests : all was OK. We ascended the Cyberlight on its support and made news tests again (with DMX). No problem. The Cyberlight has work with no problem friday and saturday.

But, late Saturday night, the Cyberlight stopped, no light, fan or led again. I reopened the Cyberlight to see that one of my news cables was moved and placed himself in front of the lamp: it was completely charred.

Having no new cable on hand (and wouldn't go down the Cyberlight again), I directly connected the power cable on the power supply board, like as I did in my first test (which had taken place, I remind you, with no problem). Cyberlight set to ON : no light, fan or led.

Audit of the primary fuse F1 : blown. I changed the fuse and restoring power : the new fuse has blown directly. Re-change the fuse (it was perhaps faulty) : another failure.

So, I have a Cyberlight that blow systematically all news primaries fuses F1.

I also recall that the safety switches (those which detects whether the Cyberlight is properly closed, so I think we can do without them ...) are no longer connected : the power cable is directly connected to the power supply board.

My question is : how to solve this problem? It's frustrating to see again this fixture off, when he worked two evenings only :(

Thank you

I understand that it's more complicated than I thought ...
Related