Cyber color homing issue . ..

I have an -SV that seems to consistently leave a bit of one of the yellow flags in the beam when homing, but cycling the color 100% to 0% gets it in line, and it works perfectly from there on . . . I had a similar issue with a mirror mis-homing when the brake was loose, but on the exploded views of the Cyber, I don't see any kind of brake/plunger on the color flag motors . . . and have not pulled the unit down yet to take a first hand look-see. Are there brakes on these motors, since the flags can be described in many ways, but "balanced" isn't one of them, or ? ? ? ?

Thanks in advance,

- Tim
  • Hi Tim,

There is no "SpringPlunger" on the flags, but they can still home incorrect if they are fixed on the axle of the motor slightly off.
    There is a procedure that slipped my mind now, but it requires only to loosen the screw from the end of the flag and aligning it again.
  • I think that you are thinking of the hub adjustment procedure, which I think will only affect a mis-position by up to 1 motor step . . . . this unit is leaving one of the flags in a lot more than that, but I may give it a go anyhow, depending on if/who chimes in with any other suggestions.

- Tim
  • Thanks Chris - I already had the procedure, but never hurts to be sure. I just wasn't sure that that would be the solution - but now that I think of the limited range of rotation of the flag motors, it *does* seem that a single full step may well introduce more of the flag into the beam that I though . . . at any rate, I'll give it a go and see what gives . . .

- Tim
  • Looks like this is going to do the trick, but gad, what a pain! Getting that module out is much like back surgery through the navel . . . you pretty much have to contend with everything to get there!

Well, after fabbing a "special tool" from a coathanger to get the cap back into the hole, I have pretty much gotten the procedure more streamlined . . . only two more to do.

I have noticed one other thing that hopefully someone (Chris? or ? ?) can comment on. Of my 4 Cybers, 2 are factory SV's and two CL's that had the SV conversion (the CL's are dated 1999 IIRC) and while the focus lenses appear to be identical in all the units, of the first two, the brackets holding the focus lenses to the sled are different in the two - the factory SV has far more offset, allowing the lens to get much closer to the gobos. I also note that the CL will not focus as close as the SV, and this is probably why . . .

Is that truly the case, and if so, is it possible to get *just* the metal part (IE no lens) to get my units to match?

Thanks,

- Tim
  • EMail sent with photos and such . . .

Turns out that of the two CL's I have (same build date) only *1* has the odd lens mount, the other three match . . .

- Tim
Related