Anyone interested in OSC control??

jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
edited October 2012 in Wholehog 3 General Discussion
So, as you know, I like to play with different controls for the Hog (iPhone, iPad, etc) and recently discovered the uses of OSC control.

I've been using OSCTouch for the iPhone and iPad. On top of that, I've been using OSCulator to transcode the OSC commands into MIDI notes. Would anyone be interested in playing with this setup????

The nice thing is that is DOES NOT require running Hog3PC as a client. There are options for both PC and MAC. I have an EMU USB->Midi box on my MAC and it connects MIDI directly to the console. You do have to be on the same network between the MAC and iPad/iPhone.

[ATTACH]2097[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2098[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2101[/ATTACH]

Comments

• jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited March 2011
    Here's the "fader" page...

I deleted the groups/pages screens for now since they were getting a little difficult to deal with.

[ATTACH]2102[/ATTACH]
  • mjmaltbiemjmaltbie Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Can't wait to play with this. Thanks Jon!
    edited March 2011
    I'll send you the info MJ!

It's fun to be able to do it without the networking into Hog3pc and making sure you're in MAP mode, etc.

I still need a clean way to deal with encoders though!
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Look great Jon,

We are looking at implementing OSC in the future as it is becoming the new standard replacing MIDI in the audio world.
    edited March 2011
    bradpepe;53521 said:
    We are looking at implementing OSC in the future as it is becoming the new standard replacing MIDI in the audio world.
    That sounds great Brad! I can't wait to see where it leads. This was a lot of fun and I keep looking for new and inventive ways to play with the system...now, about those silly encoders!!!
    edited March 2011
    Here's the phone screens (since 1 purchase gets both apps)...

[ATTACH]2104[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]2105[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]2106[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]2107[/ATTACH]

I haven't done the MIDI notes patching yet in OSCulator, but these are the screens I came up with.

If anyone grabs TouchOSC for the iPad/iPhone and wants the screens, just let me know. Same with the OSCulator patches (once I'm done with the phone ones). I can give you the iPad patch now though.
  • ShrunkenNedShrunkenNed Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited March 2011
    Hi Jon,

Sounds great, I'd love to set this up.
    edited March 2011
    For my remote, you need OSCulator (dontation between $19 and $31 requested by developer) and TouchOSC from the App Store ($4.99).

OSCulator is MAC ONLY. TouchOSC shows options for both PC and MAC, but you would have to code your own for PC. Osculator will run without the payment but will occasionally shut down transmission until you click a button (it is a demo version until unlocked).
    http://www.osculator.net/

TouchOSC is available from the app store and the TouchOSC editor is available on their site. http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

Now, there are free methods out there, but I haven't played with any of them. MrMr is a free OSC app but I chose TouchOSC because of the editor available on their site. It's easier to deal with. Same with OSCulator. There are free mappers out there (Pure-data Extended comes to mind), but again, I wanted something that was a little more polished and easier to map.

I haven't finished the mapping for the phone yet, just the iPad screens. As soon as the mapping is done on the phone, I'll post those up.

It's completely up to you on if you use my maps and OSC pages or decide to go on your own.

There is no support for any of this other than on the respective programs websites.

http://www.housetohalf.net/osc/Archive.zip
    edited March 2011
    Excellent, Thank you.
    edited March 2011
    Forgot some VERY important things...

For my OSCulator to map properly you have to setup MIDI notes on the Hog.

Here is how I was setup:

Ch. 1 - Nothing (I use Ch.1 for MSC)
    Ch. 2 - Programming Keys
    Ch. 3 - Playback Bar functions
    Ch. 4 - Comment Macros **

** Note: This is what allows the Fader Full/Fader Zero buttons to work. There is NO TIME on the faders up/down, they are 0 count until we can add time to comment macros.

0 - FM1/0
    1 - FM1/100
    2 - FM2/0
    3 - FM2/100
    4 - FM3/0
    5 - FM3/100
    6 - FM4/0
    7 - FM4/100
    8 - FM5/0
    9 - FM5/100
    10 - FM6/0
    11 - FM6/100
    12 - FM7/0
    13 - FM7/100
    14 - FM8/0
    15 - FM8/100
    16 - FM9/0
    17 - FM9/100
    18 - FM10/0
    19 - FM10/100

I used a M-Audio UNO for my USB->MIDI interface as I had one laying around for a Roadhog. You need some way to get MIDI out of the computer and into the console.
    edited March 2011
    Brilliant! I love that the TouchOSC has a computer editor. It was so frustrating sizing buttons and mapping keystrokes with Snatch on a phone.

and tabbed pages!
    edited March 2011
    That's why I chose it. I started with MrMr, but I just didn't like the text-based editing. I want GUI!

Yeah, they cost money, but there's a reason they do. Makes it so much easier.

Both the iphone and ipad remotes are multi page remotes.
    edited April 2011
    Mick...

See post #9 and #11 for the information...feel free to pull them off my site and let me know how it works for you!

J
    edited April 2011
    TouchOSC has just released v1.7.

http://hexler.net/docs/touchosc

In this new version, you can send MIDI messages directly from the TouchOSC screen. This means that you will no longer need to use OSCulator or PureData to transcode the OSC to MIDI.

There are MIDI solutions for both Mac and PC. PC requires a freeware download to map the MIDI to the USB->MIDI device. The Mac already has the MIDI Audio Setup in the system so no further download is necessary.

I will be modifying my current TouchOSC displays to send the MIDI directly but it will probably take a few days to get it posted here.

Just wanted you all to know...
    edited April 2011
    Ok everyone...here's the new TouchOSC Hog Remote with the MIDI directly enabled within the TouchOSC editor. There is no longer a need for OSCulator or Pure Data.

And the same mapping as before:

Ch. 1 - Nothing (I use Ch.1 for MSC)
    Ch. 2 - Programming Keys
    Ch. 4 - Comment Macros **

** Note: This is what allows the Fader Full/Fader Zero buttons to work. There is NO TIME on the faders up/down, they are 0 count until we can add time to comment macros.

0 - FM1/0
    1 - FM1/100
    2 - FM2/0
    3 - FM2/100
    4 - FM3/0
    5 - FM3/100
    6 - FM4/0
    7 - FM4/100
    8 - FM5/0
    9 - FM5/100
    10 - FM6/0
    11 - FM6/100
    12 - FM7/0
    13 - FM7/100
    14 - FM8/0
    15 - FM8/100
    16 - FM9/0
    17 - FM9/100
    18 - FM10/0
    19 - FM10/100

**NOTE:
    Since the Midi graphic came out horrible, here are the instructions:
    CoreMidi is supported natively on OSX and on Windows you just need to run a small app you can find here http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/rtpMIDI.html

Windows XP/Vista/7 users, configure MIDI networking on your PC:
    download the rtpMIDI software (free) from Tobias Erichsen and install it. Follow the setup instructions on Tobias' website or the summary given in the below steps.

-Launch rtpMIDI
    -in the "My Session" top left area, click the "+" button to add a new session (or reuse an existing one if any). you can change the name of the created session by editing the "Local Name" field on the right of the window. This name will appear in your DAW as a MIDI port
    -in the bottom left "Who may connect to me" section, select "Anyone" or "Only computers in my directory"
    -from TouchOSC setup on the iPad, touch CoreMIDI and enable it
    -on the PC, select the line identifying your iPad in the rtpMIDI window and click the "Connect" button: your ipad identification now appears in the "Participants" section (top right). Your iPad is now connected to your computer through this network session
    -in TouchOSC, now click the refresh arrow on the top right corner in CoreMIDI
    -Your iPad is now connected to your computer through this network session which should show inputs and outputs.

MacOSX users, configure MIDI networking on your Mac
    -spotlight "Audio MIDI setup" and launch it
    -make sure the MIDI window is visible, if not, enable it using the "Window/Show MIDI Window" menu item
    -from the MIDI window, double click the "Network" icon, the "MIDI Network Setup" window appears
    -in the "My Session" top left area, click the "+" button to add a new session (or reuse an existing one if any). you can change the name of the created session by editing the "Local Name" field on the right of the window. This name will appear in your DAW as a MIDI port
    -in the bottom left "Who may connect to me" section, select "Anyone" or "Only computers in my directory"
    -from TouchOSC setup on the iPad, touch CoreMIDI and enable it
    -on the Mac, select the line identifying your iPad in the MIDI Network Setup window and click the "Connect" button:
    -your ipad identification now appears in the "Participants" section (top right). Your iPad is now connected to your computer through this network session
    -in TouchOSC, now click the refresh arrow on the top right corner in CoreMIDI
    -Your iPad is now connected to your computer through this network session which should show inputs and outpus.

Attachements provided...
  • VisualRhythmVisualRhythm Registered User
    edited April 2011
    is this for hog2pc or hog3 pc? do u have an updated midimap for the hog2pc I would like to use touchosc with hog2pc.
    edited April 2011
    VisualRhythm,

It is currently coded for Hog3PC. I have not used Hog2PC in about 7 years. If you want to download my Hog3 TouchOSC screen, you can use their free editor and change the labels and MIDI notes as needed. It's not difficult at all with the creation of the TouchOSC editor.
    edited May 2011
    jxgriffi,

do u have a list of all the midi commands and their function for the hog 3?
    edited May 2011
    edited May 2011
    This is getting even more fun...

Found a new product that seems to fill a void for some people. This will get rid of the PC between the console and iPad/iPhone/Android whatever.

www.wifimidi.com

The Missing Link creates an ad-hoc wireless network between the device and the Midi output. So, no computer needed to control things. The other thing that the Missing Link allows is MIDI SYSEX messages instead of just notes and/or control changes. This opens up a WHOLE different set of abilities with the consoles.

Just wanted everyone to know what was out there...I'm thinking about ordering one and see where I can take this TouchOSC template to next with SYSEX messages. :)
  • Abbe RPM Digital LightingAbbe RPM Digital Lighting Registered User
    edited May 2011
    Hi,

I got one of those, works great :) But since i am not a iPad/Phone owner i can not test your nice work.
    My tests are done with Android, but for now there is no app that suits what i want to do.

Better hurry to buy, they only made 100 units in the first run... ;)
  • dandeacondandeacon Registered User
    edited May 2011
    Hi Jon, is TouchOSC work multi-touch with the hog 3pc? I'm a little confused about the limitations of all the parts.
    All I really want to do is use an ipad for my faders, but understand that isn't possible. However, can you multi-touch flash buttons etc.

Thanks
    edited May 2011
    What can sysex messages do with Hog 3PC? There are a couple of options with routing midi. I'm thinking about creating some videos to show a few. I've been using touch osc since 2007/8 with mostly with light jockey. I really wish High end would allow CC messages for encoders and faders, that and the wings should come with widget built in like the maxxyz ones.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited May 2011
    VisualRhythm;54744 said:
    ....the wings should come with widget built in....

FYI - the RoadHog Wings have the option of a built in Superwidget for (x4) DMX Universes.

Hope this helps. :)
    edited May 2011
    Marty Postma;54755 said:
    FYI - the RoadHog Wings have the option of a built in Superwidget for (x4) DMX Universes.

Hope this helps. :)

I saw that, but when you compare price, the maxxyz wings start to look more appealing.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited May 2011
    VisualRhythm;54756 said:
    I saw that, but when you compare price, the maxxyz wings start to look more appealing.

Appealing......until you realize that it's a maxxyz......;):D
  • nibornibor Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2011
    Wow,,, I actually feel the same way as someone on the forums, I've run that thing
    it fails to the 3
  • hrrrdhrrrd Registered User
    edited July 2011
    so, sorry for the dumb question, but...

everything is set up, iPad is connected to rtpmidi, HogPCs midi notes are done. now, how do I connect the two (everything on one PC)? so at the moment it goes iPad > rtpmidi > ??? > HogPC
    edited July 2011
    everything is set up, iPad is connected to rtpmidi, HogPCs midi notes are done. now, how do I connect the two (everything on one PC)? so at the moment it goes iPad > rtpmidi > ??? > HogPC
    First you need to make sure that the iPad is sending it's notes to the computer. There are solution out there (midiox, etc.) that will let you look at the MIDI signal coming in.

If it is indeed making it to the computer, make sure the Hog3PC is actually looking for the Midi notes (MIDI Notes IN button is clicked) and is on the right channel.
  • BenwinBenwin Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited July 2011
    jxgriffi I love your setup, wish I had thought of using midi as a remote earlier, I use it mainly for doing on stage focuses so I have recorded a macro (at Last!) to move the pan encoder +1 and another for -1 then repeated for the tilt encoder, its ok for touching up focuses but might be tiresome for starting from scratch, I guess you could always add a +/- 5,10 etc.

Anyway just a suggestion

Ben
  • visualworksvisualworks Registered User
    edited July 2011
    jxgriffi;53512 said:
    So, as you know, I like to play with different controls for the Hog (iPhone, iPad, etc) and recently discovered the uses of OSC control.

The nice thing is that is DOES NOT require running Hog3PC as a client. There are options for both PC and MAC. I have an EMU USB->Midi box on my MAC and it connects MIDI directly to the console. You do have to be on the same network between the MAC and iPad/iPhone.

[ATTACH]2097[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2098[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2101[/ATTACH]
    Hi...I am currently using with OSCulator TouchOSC, but in video software, and I want to use this time to Hog 3 pc, can you show me a "screenshot" of your settings OSCulator, because even I do not understand what I have to send to the Hog 3 ... if you could help me with this I would greatly appreciate..

Thank you!
    edited October 2011
    visualworks;56121 said:
    Hi...I am currently using with OSCulator TouchOSC, but in video software, and I want to use this time to Hog 3 pc, can you show me a "screenshot" of your settings OSCulator, because even I do not understand what I have to send to the Hog 3 ... if you could help me with this I would greatly appreciate..

Thank you!
    Sorry...just noticed this one. Apparently, I never replied.

I no longer use OSCulator with TouchOSC. With the new version of TouchOSC, you can send Midi notes directly out.

I put up more information on my site...

http://www.housetohalf.net/Housetohalf/iPhone.html
  • mikeyraymikeyray Registered User
    edited October 2011
    looks great
  • DannyDanny Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited November 2011
    jxgriffi;54335 said:
    This is getting even more fun...

Found a new product that seems to fill a void for some people. This will get rid of the PC between the console and iPad/iPhone/Android whatever.

www.wifimidi.com

The Missing Link creates an ad-hoc wireless network between the device and the Midi output. So, no computer needed to control things. The other thing that the Missing Link allows is MIDI SYSEX messages instead of just notes and/or control changes. This opens up a WHOLE different set of abilities with the consoles.

Just wanted everyone to know what was out there...I'm thinking about ordering one and see where I can take this TouchOSC template to next with SYSEX messages. :)
    Hi Jon,

Is this working for you? I'm really interested if this works as great as I think it might work. And also: does it work with other midi trigger apps for the iPad, because I use s1miditrigger at the moment with the Line 6 midi mobilizer. It would be great to loose te cable..

Greetings,

Danny
    edited November 2011
    I haven't bought one. I'm still using a M-Audio Uno to spit out from my laptop.
  • DannyDanny Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited November 2011
    Hi Jon,

I've got everything up and running at the moment,

TouchOSC on the Ipad with your layout

RtpMidi on my laptop with a session named HOG3 and the ipad is connected.

I've checked with Midi-Ox that the laptop sees incoming midi and in fact it does see midi data coming in. (see printscreen)

A HOG-PC show opened and in network selected the midi input and output as HOG3 ( i guess thats the rtpmidi session?)

Midi notes in is on and the chanels are mapped the way you describe:
    Ch. 1 - Nothing
    Ch. 2 - Programming Keys
    Ch. 4 - Comment Macros

but as for now I see nothing happening in Hog-pc.. is there maybe anything im doing wrong? i provided some printscreens (in flicker, see below), maybe you could find something i'm doing wrong.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70411917@N06/6392067779/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70411917@N06/6392068013/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70411917@N06/6392068227/

thanks in advance!

greetings,

Danny
  • Firewood1Firewood1 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited September 2012
    Hi all,

I just read this whole thread and i'm amazed to see that nobody has posted since November 2011. Has someone found a new and better way to do this and started a new thread I have not yet found?

I have an Android phone and a network consisting of Hog 3 and Hog 3 PC so any suggestions of the best way to setup a remote of some kind would be most welcome. I'm hoping in the last 10 months this will have been developed further!

Cheers

Colin
    edited September 2012
    As the person who did all of this, yes, Touch OSC is available for Android. Some of the fader shortcuts I did are now able to use Time instead of snapping, but other than that, there is not much more that can be done.
  • datadriverdatadriver Registered User, HES Staff
    edited October 2012
    Today at LDI we unveiled the Hog4 family of lighting consoles. They all support OSC directly, and they continue to support MIDI. We have OSC mappings for the physical surfaces as well as logical playback entities.

The Hog4 OSC interface is bi-directional, meaning that the console will also pump out status that some 3rd party apps understand. This includes fader movements and LED indications, so if you have fader and LED widgets on TouchOSC they will sync up/blink just like the Hog4.
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited October 2012
    OSC support is clever design. Now we have possibilty to have a wide variety of remotes.
  • BluIceTechBluIceTech Registered User
    Hi Jxgriffi, Thnaks for all the support so far! ive gottten it as far as 'Danny' a few comments up. Im trying to get this to work on a hog3pc system. Having the same issues. I can see the midi coming in and have cinnection but no response from Hog3Pc. Im using a dp2000 as the processor. Im tryong to get this running for a client for their convention booth to run premade cues and stupid simple application. Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    ps. i know this thread is pretty dead since the release of hog4.