TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 -Axon/DL3

schiefelsschiefels Registered User, HES Alumni
edited November 2011 in DL.3/DL.2
Attached is a very quick and dirty write up on encoding content for the DL.3 and Axon media servers using TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5. We will be working in the near future on adding a full write up and example video to the Digital Lighting support page, but I wanted to get this out here since some questions had come up.

Also, links to TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 encoding templates for DL.3 and DL.2 can be found below:

DL.2 Templates

DL.3 Templates

From the looks of it, TMPGEnc 5 is a great program and is just as easy to use as 4.0 Xpress was. I have tested some videos that were encoding using the above templates on DL.3s here in the office and found no issues with them whatsoever.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post them here.

Best regards,

Comments

• ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited March 2011
    Matt,

Three cheers!

I passed this along to my Video people.
    They'll process a couple so I can try them on the DL3.

Thanks
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited March 2011
    Thanks C
    edited March 2011
    Matt,

Step 3 under Clip Settings you show Interlaced.

Shouldn't it be Progressive as listed under Custom Content Prep Guide?
    "The footage should be encoded as a progressive frame file, not an interlaced file"

***EDIT***
    Never mind, that's the input file isn't it.
  • schiefelsschiefels Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Chris,

The screenshot in step 3 is showing the stats from the source movie clip after TMPGEnc analyzes it. In this case it was an uncompressed MOV file that was indeed interlaced. If you look in step 6 near the bottom of the screen shot, that is the actual encoding setting for Progressive that will be used when the clip is encoded.

Hope this helps,
    edited March 2011
    Matt,

So they've converted one and are asking if file size is an issue.
    They went from 22mb to 135.88mb.

Should I care about file sizes like this for loading say 15-20 of these into a DL3?
  • schiefelsschiefels Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Chris,

The smallest hard drive we ever shipped in a DL.3 should give you about 280GB of space for user content, so twenty files at 135MB shouldn't be a problem.
    edited March 2011
    Thanks Matt, that's what I was hoping you would say.
    edited March 2011
    Tested and looking good!

Thanks again Matt.
  • GeckoTHGeckoTH Registered User
    edited May 2011
    I'm going to be displaying some video content on a DL.3 next week for a TV show, and am working with the Post Production dept to get the videos encoded properly. The one hurdle that they're running into is the 4:2:0 Color Space requirement. All of the footage we shoot is in 4:2:2. (Avid and Apple's Compressor don't seem to have Color Space encoding options)

I see nothing in this tutorial about TMPGEnc being able to manage/encode in the 4:2:0 Color Space. Is there an option I'm missing, or has it never been an issue before?

Thanks!

-Tom
  • schoissischoissi Registered User
    edited November 2011
    thx a lot