DL3 video content prep

For the last few years we do a show where I have created video content for a DL2, and I compress 640x480 using compressor. The files have worked great for us. This year we are using a DL3, and I see the files need to be 1024 x 768. The problem is compressor can not give me that frame size. When I try the closest I can get is 960 x 720.
I really do not want to have to go out and buy Episode for $499, for this one show a year. Anyone have a solution?
By the way I am working on a Mac, so needs to be a mac solution.

Thanks,
Darren
  • Hi Darren,

The files does not HAVE to be 1024 x 768, that will just give you the best result with a single DL3.
    Even though i have not tried this specific format myself i am sure it will work just fine if you encode everything else in spec.

Might i ask witch compressor you are using?
  • I am running Compressor Version 3.5.3.

[QUOTE=Abbe RPM Digital Lighting;53146]Hi Darren,

The files does not HAVE to be 1024 x 768, that will just give you the best result with a single DL3.
    Even though i have not tried this specific format myself i am sure it will work just fine if you encode everything else in spec.

Might i ask witch compressor you are using?
  • I'm not sure Compressor will be able to hit all the proper settings for DL content.

There have been many updates and changes to the DL software over the last year, one of which is "content scanning". So just because you were able to load and playback a piece of content from Compressor in the past....don't be surprised if the CMA tells you that there is a problem now.

There are some existing issues with the new version of Episode as well.
    I know Matt from HES has been in touch with Telestream about this, but not sure if a resolution has been reached.

Your best bet is the TMPEG Xpress software for PC.
    Since you are on a Mac I would suggest booting into Windows and running it from there. The license is cheap as well.....around $100.
    Small price to pay to KNOW that your content will be OK.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Last year, V1 software, would allow things like not all frames being I-Frame.
    It would warn, but allow import.
    Didn't matter for us as all loops we're played from the 1st frame.

Do you know if the new software still allows?
  • [QUOTE=Marty Postma]

There are some existing issues with the new version of Episode as well.
    I know Matt from HES has been in touch with Telestream about this, but not sure if a resolution has been reached.

The last word that I got from Telestream was that the issues were targeted to be fixed in v6.0.5 of Episode, which would be coming out sometime in April. As it is now well into March and they still have 6.0.3 on their website, I'm not sure that is going to happen. I can't beat up on them too much, as I know how software targets have a tendency to slip ;)

I'll send them an email again and see if I can get any kind of update.

[QUOTE=ChrisTall]
    Last year, V1 software, would allow things like not all frames being I-Frame.
    It would warn, but allow import.
    Didn't matter for us as all loops we're played from the 1st frame.

Do you know if the new software still allows?

Chris,

The CMA will still allow some content issues, like not being all I-Frames, to load onto the fixtures. However, keep in mind that these can have some far reaching problems. Anytime the server has to seek to some point in the clip (like frame scrubbing, rewind, and most importantly Network Sync for Collaging), if the content is not all I-frame those features will not work correctly.

Depending on what you are doing with the media, you may never run into these issues. But, if you call our support line with any kind of content related issue (stuttery playback, sync not working, etc), the first thing we will ask (and ask you to correct if it is wrong) is whether or not the content is encoded 100% correct.

Thanks,
  • +1 to all of what Matt said.

You just happened to get lucky that your content didn't drag the whole DL server down in the past.

I've seen instances where content not created with a closed GOP (not all I-Frames) will actually gradually reduce performance of the server until it locks up entirely requiring a "hard reset" or power clearing of the fixture.....only to have performance degrade and the process start all over again.

I would strongly caution you against using improperly formatted content unless you enjoy "dodging bullets" so to speak.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Previously I've been at the mercy of others providing the content and not appreciating the need for correct encoding.

Seems like it's time for me to take that over.

Also, I like knowing that you've been using TMPEG Xpress with success.

Thanks guys.
  • FYI - here is the thread on this forum that discusses the current issues with Episode. There is a workaround for Episode license holders.

forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=9382
  • Hy Chris,

This is what can happen, if a content is not 100% encoded correctly.
    I was just scrolling thru the mediafolder during the programming.
    I used the same file a year before with no issues.
    It's like Marty said. There have been several changes in the software from the DL3.

Greets Mayli
  • So, we purchased the new TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5.

Anyone using this new version yet?

The demo video of how to use it is on the previous version of Xpress 4.

The screens and menu are different enough that I could use some help making sure I understand what is best for making content for the DL3.

Can anyone give me a screen/field checklist or screen shots of what you do?
    We are converting purchased 720p MOV clips for use on the DL3's.

Thanks

Chris