DP boot up

barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
I'm still having days where the DP does not load show data upon console boot up. It just continues to read "Intializing..." but never gets to loading show. I wait about 4 or 5 minutes and then just restart the console. This is not every day, and it's not with every show file I create, but I'd say it's happened two or three times since buld 956 came out.

Wholehog 3 v1.3.8.6 (b956)
(2) DP2000s in network hub (only #1 has any patching right now)

Comments

• bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited February 2006
    Scott,

Can you please tell us the specs on your network hub and cabling?

thanks,
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited February 2006
    D-Link DSH-8 port Hub
    Standard Cat5 from console to hub.
    Standard Cat5 from DP2000 #1 to hub.
    Standard Cat5 from DP2000 #2 to hub.

All work fine. No problems throughout the day of programming. It's just every once and a while boot up does not complete first thing in the morning and I'm left to restart the console. I think in the past I've hard reset the DP but that didn't seem to work.
  • chrisfchrisf Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited February 2006
    Hi Scott,

Just out of interest are both DP's have the same net number? Or are they numbered 1 and 2.

Chrisf
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited February 2006
    I'd like to throw my 2 cents into this one.

I am only running 1 console and 1 DP. About once every week, I get a "No Server" on the DP2000 upon startup of the console. The DP does not power down...only the console gets shut down at the end of the night. We always load the same show file. The only way to find it is a hard-reset on the DP2000.

Setup:
    WHIII into Switch
    DP2000 into Switch
    ELC DMXNode4 into Switch
    Cat6 to backstage

Backstage:
    ELCDMXNode4 outputing to Optos

Jon
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited February 2006
    Sorry for the delay. My DPs are always set as 1 and 2. Sometimes they both do not load and sometimes it's just #1 that doesn't load show data. I usually try a hard reset on the menu options of the DP, and if that doesn't work I unplug the power and reset it that way. This is build 956 by the way. I'm about to update to the newest.
  • mll36mll36 Registered User
    edited March 2006
    I've been having a similiar problem in our arena. We have a DP and timecode processor on the network that stay on all the time, just the console is shut down. When I reboot the console for the next show the processor's don't initiliaze. I usually have to give them a hard reset before they will find the server. The network has a Cisco catalyst switch. All software is up to date, the processors just won't log on if the console has been off for more than a few hours.
  • pbeasleypbeasley Registered User
    edited March 2006
    We have seen some issues with this in the past on Catalyst switches. The managed switches have spanning tree enabled by default in most configurations and we have found this to cause problems about 60% of the time with older software. try setting all the Hog ports to "fast port enabled". If these are unmanaged switches then it may not be applicable.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited March 2006
    I've had some similar problems with DPs not loading properly. Surprisingly I've found it has more to do with the show file than the actual DP.

Show files that have an older library or custom library modification sometimes cause a perpetual "Loading Show Data" state. Also importing user preferences from a new library show file to an older library show file can cause the DP to "lock-up" like that (especially if the wheelsets have been customised) in addition to crashes when attempting to edit user preferences. Sometimes cloning or removing fixtures from the PATCH also cause the DP to lock-up.

I've never had a issue with the latest software along with the latest library though.
  • dkayserdkayser Registered User, HES Staff
    edited March 2006
    We have had some issues in this area that have been addressed in the current release. One, the network connections were not being closed properly on the console, or something to that effect, and would not reconnect. Two, the DP intialization was found to have a problem during a reset. You could be running onto either of these issues if you are running the 1.3.8.6 release. If these problems persist in 1.3.8.8, we have more work to do.

Thanks, Donald.
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited March 2006
    Donald,

While it seems to be better, I do still have to occasionally hard reset the DP. It used to be once a week...now it's down to once every other week or so. Definitely not as prevelent as it used to be....

Jon
  • jabadgerjabadger Registered User
    edited March 2006
    Throwing another log on here,

Cold booting my single DP while the console is waiting on the show load screen - takes about 3 minutes-ish to Initialize the network.