DP2K reliability - hognet or artnet?

jussikamunenjussikamunen Registered User
I´m just wondering if people have experience with DP2K functioning and reliability with recent softwares?

Is it really working ok in hognet mode and there are for example no more dmx output problems?

I havent really used our 2K (as other than backup DP) after we got 8K, but now it seems that we would need the extra dmx outputs.

Other question is that is the 2K more reliable in artnet mode? This of course is not possible when using only hog3pc+laptop but since my other setups are RHFB and H3+8K so the artnet mode would be possible in these cases.

Any experiences on this?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    The DP8000 has much better performance than the DP2000 in HogNet mode. If you're running a large rig, and have the outputs available from your 8000 or Full Boar, you're far better off running the 2000 as an Art-Net node.

Having even a single DP2000 in your Hog-Net show can drag down the performance of the entire system.
  • jussikamunenjussikamunen Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Ok, thanks. Artnet it is then.
  • rbrighamrbrigham Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited February 2011
    Eric,

Could you go into the technical side of why the DP2k would slow down the system performance? Is this assuming a fully loaded DP2k, or does that matter? Would an offline DP2k in the show file have the same performance drag, or is it the inclusion of the hardware on the network causing issues?

Thanks,
    -RB
  • edited February 2011
    There's a saying that "All computers wait at the same speed", which is arguably another way of stating Amdahl's Law ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law ).

Hogs use a distributed processing scheme to share the work across all of the nodes that are in the network. This means sometimes your DP8000 or RHFB (fast) is stuck waiting for something that it needs from the DP2000 (slow).

Just having the DP2000 connected to the network won't really hurt anything. If you have a DP2000 active and online in your show (Outputs Active), then it starts to drag things down. The more heavily loaded the 2K is, the worse it gets, but even lightly loaded it can have an effect. Each DP only needs to track the fixtures that are connected to it, but they all need to understand global cue state and global timing.
    edited February 2011
    What about Hog3, console (at least our) hardware is from same age as dp2k. Can there be problems concerning hognet with H3 in the future?
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Shouldn't be an issue for the immediate future. The H3 desk doesn't do the actual DMX output as a DP or any of the other H3 based desks do so output performance is not affected in the same way.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Abbe RPM Digital LightingAbbe RPM Digital Lighting Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Hi Jussi,

Currently there is lots and lots of work, coding and testing on the 3.2 Release for the whole WholeHog Operating System.
    One of the real major changes is the core code for the HOG III console. This is specifically done to support our existing users and prepare for near future functionality upgrade.
    We are very close to release a public BETA of this (PC, RoadHog & FullBoar are already out), and i suggest you ask to join the Beta Test group if you are interested.
    edited February 2011
    Marty,
    I get it, H3 should not have the same problems since there is no dmx output. But still I remember years back when H3+2K was a step forwards for hog2/jandshog users and look at 2K now...

But hey, don´t get me wrong, I´m heavily pro H3 :hogsign:
    edited February 2011
    Abbe,
    core changes sounds really good, I actually saw a glimpse of 3.2 beta allready and many additions seemed very nice and promising. Thumbs up for 3.2!

Beta testing would be limited to PC version in my case because H3 and RHFB are in productions most of the time. And I think I don´t have the guts to run a show with beta...
  • dirkmaatdirkmaat Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Hi HES guys,

In july 2010 i signed up for the Software Testing Program and received a confirmation e-mail about that. Never heard anything about that anymore.

I'd very like to test the 3.2 beta release for PC and later on, on my Hog 3 with DP2000.
  • Abbe RPM Digital LightingAbbe RPM Digital Lighting Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Hi,

If you still can not see the BETA part of the forum, please email Brad Schiller who can sort it for you.