Wholehog III Won't Upgrade to ver 3.1.8

tbslytertbslyter Registered User, Hog Beta
Tried calling in, but apparently the offices are closed due to the weather.

Trying to update our Wholehog III from 3.1.7 to 3.1.8. I backed-up up all of our show files to CD-ROM as a precaution, then tried doing just the normal software update from the launch screen. Update went most of the way thought the progress bars, then I got a message that the part of the update failed and instructions to install from the current Hog III CD.

I exited out and went back to the launch screen. Re-downloaded the update and burned it on a different CD-ROM. Same result. I restarted the console but now it won't launch it just has the III logo splash screen and then goes to the shutdown screen after about 30 seconds.

So I downloaded the ISO file and burned that to CD with Deep Burner. Restart the machine and get into the boot screen. When I choose full install and confirm the CD spins for about 20-30 seconds but then it just goes back to the boot screen. I tried the software update option. Nothing.

Tried re-downloading the ISO and a different CD. Nothing. It just boots to the III background and then the shutdown screen. When I exit out of the boot screen sometimes it goes to the shutdown screen and sometimes it just hangs on the III background.

Console test and terminal don't seem to do anything. At this point I have our show files so we just need the console back up and working. The CD drive was replaced a while back and everything was working fine prior to the attempt to update.

Thanks for any help.

Travis Slyter
Ruehling Associates, Inc.

Comments

• Unknown Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    edited February 2011
    Do you have an older ISO around the shop you can try? Try installing from a 3.1.7 or some other ISO that you know is good.

Also, try a different computer's CD-burner, or burning the DISK and 1x or 4x rather than the maximum allowable speed.
  • tbslytertbslyter Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited February 2011
    Tried all of the above and nothing. We replaced the CD-ROM drive about a year ago, so I doubt that, but at this point unless the reader part of the CD drive went or there is something up with the HDD, I don't know what the problem is.

We have an external USB CD Drive we use for Road Hog work but with the Hog III that's of no help as far as I know.

Travis Slyter
    Ruehling Associates, Inc.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited February 2011
    So basically you can't get past the blue "III" background correct?
    Sounds like it might be a dead HDD.

How old is the HDD in this desk?
    Usually they are only good for about 5 years or so depending on how oftern the console gets used.

Hope this helps. :)
    edited February 2011
    Yes. Can't get passed that screen.

Console purchased in fall 2005 and it's the original HDD.

Strange that it was working fine before the update and we didn't notice any performance issues. Will check the cables but the desk hasn't moved.

Thanks.

Travis
    edited February 2011
    Was is a CD-ROM drive from HES, or a Third party? Unfortunately the Hog3 is really picky about which CD-ROM drives it will accept. There are a lot of CD drives that will work fine for loading and saving shows, but will fail when you try to boot off of them to reinstall. It you didn't get it from HES, that may be what's biting you.

You have another hog3 around the shop right? Can you use the CD drive from that one? Or load the hard drive in the second console and move it to the other one.

Unfortunately the hog3 can't boot from USB devices.
    edited February 2011
    Years ago there were some consoles that would fail to finish the install if the clock battery was dead (the CR2032 coin cell on the motherboard). This should not be an issue with ISOs for 3.0.3 and newer, but there's a slim chance that could be causing your problem.

I haven't seen it happen since the installer was tweaked to fix the issue in 3.0.3 but there could be some special case we missed.
    edited February 2011
    We don't have another Hog III.

Some interesting info, thanks.

It is an aftermarket CD-ROM drive as we needed replaced it in a pinch when it failed but we have done a full update 3 or 4 times with this drive and it has never been an issue. Same drive that model that was in the desk, just a slightly newer version. CD drive has been in the desk almost 2 years and never given us any problems before.

We replaced the battery about 6 months ago, so hopefully that's not the issue. Sounding like HDD unless there is something weird in v 3.1.8 that would boot from our CD-ROM drive.

Any tests we can run to see if the HDD is working? We tried the console test in the boot menu, but that just sends us to the shut down screen after about 20 seconds.

Didn't think the USB CD-ROM would work but it was worth a shot. Thanks.

Travis
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited February 2011
    tbslyter;52596 said:
    Console purchased in fall 2005 and it's the original HDD.

I would say that is most likely the issue given the age.
    I've come across about 6 different desks over the years that have all had this problem and it was always the HDD.

Interestingly enough only 1 of those desks had a Seagate HDD.
    The other 5 were all prior to the more reliable Seagates that are now standard, but that may just be age related as well.

Hope this helps. :)
    edited February 2011
    Thanks Marty, that is what it seems like to me. Again are there any tests we can do to verify this? Thanks.

Travis
    edited February 2011
    There are no hard drive diagnostics build into the Hog3. You could remove the drive and install it in a standard computer to run diagnostics.
    edited February 2011
    Thanks to everyone for their help. We replaced the CD-ROM with an older model drive and the update worked. Console seems to be fine now. Strange that we have not noticed this issue before when we did full installs over the last 18 months.

Thanks again.

Travis Slyter
    Ruehling Associates
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2011
    I'm wondering what really is causing this... just a bad cd burning?

Today I got this error when upgrading from 3.1.8.to 3.1.9. and I have got this also when I upgraded from 3.1.7 to 3.1.8.

I also tried to update from launch screen.
    After the update failed, I pressed cancel. I tried to launch a show (btw, the launch screen was missing some buttons), but the console could not start a server.
    Then the buttons came back and I was able to shutdown the console (I had to kill a process)
    When I started the console again, it booted, but after loading a while it went to it's safe to shutdown screen.
    I had to do full install...
  • Slider257Slider257 Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Just had the same issue as well out on the Oasis of the Seas. Went to upgrade one of the consoles and now it can't get to the loading screen. The console just hits the "III" then heads to the switching off screen. Trying to download the full install as my copy on my jump drive got wiped somewhere along the trip. Darn ship internet is sooo obnoxiously slow.

Hey Marty...
  • MitchMitch Registered User, HES Staff
    edited June 2011
    I have seen jumping to the Now Safe To Turn Off message as being an indicator the hard drive may possibly be failing. Usually a new hard drive will solve that. Of course there could be something else causing it but a new hard drive is a good place to start.
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I've noticed that once or twice as well on older consoles as well. This one is about 2 years old but is used 24/7 and only restarted once a week. Fortunately the full install sussed the issue out on this one.

@Mitch would you recommend on a console getting this much that a good step of preventative maintenance would be to replace the HDD every 3 or so years versus waiting for a potential crash brought on during software upgrade / etc?
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited June 2011
    I have a console that is almost 9 years old. It runs 7 days a week about 8-14 hours per day. I have now had to replace 2 hard drives over the life of the console. I now have two hard drives locked up just in case. The last time, it was REALLY cheap to order 2 backup drives at the same time as the replacement as I believe they were only $30-40 each. Now, I have a quick replacement in case of another failure (or a spare for a friend's Hog 3 in the area if they need one).
    edited June 2011
    That's the other trick to the situation as well. With the exception of online ordering, finding stores that still carry non SATA HDD's is becoming scarce. It almost feels like this is a good thing to start carrying around as a "spare part" like you said @jxgriffi.