CMY flag chase

Hi folks,

Might be a silly question but here goes:

Got a techno show coming up, for which I'm trying to write a chase that will flag one fixture at a time into white, then on the next step release it back to whatever colour it was previously.

In other words:

Before the chase starts, all fixtures are in red.

Step 1: Fixture 1 flags to white, all other fixtures stay red
Step 2: Fixture 1 returns to red, Fixture 2 flags to white, all other fixtures stay red
Step 2: Fixture 2 returns to red, Fixture 3 flags to white, all other fixtures stay red

...and so on.

This is easy enough to do if I only ever need the base to be one colour, but I haven't been able to get my head around how to have it snap to white and then 'release' the white on the next step of the cue.

Is there something simple I've overlooked?

Thanks, and happy new year!
- GRAHAM
  • The easiest way would be to write a cue list that does just that- run down the line and turn each fixture white and then back to red on the next, turn the list into a chase and then activate it as needed.

It is also possible to do as an effect, set your M and Y (creating red) flags to snap to 100 at a rate you like and set the C flag to stay at 0 (either by base or set your size and rate to 0, see what works best).

Does this make sense?
  • Totally makes sense when working with a fixed colour, my problem is how to get it to flag to white from whatever colour it was already in, then snap back to whatever colour it was already in.

In other words, I want to specify the white but NOT specify the base colour.

Is it possible to write an effect that snaps all three CMY flags to zero, reverting to the base colour it started from?
  • Hmmm....

Honestly I see this being easiest as a separate cue list in a chase. Write a cue for each fixture to turn to white (in its own separate cue) and then in the rest of the cues make sure that there is no information for that individual light. then set the cue list to chase and give it a high priority.

What this should do is tell the the CMY flags to go to 0 over whatever info its getting, and then drop any color info back to whatever the last color was.
  • I must be missing something painfully basic here - in setting the cuelist to chase with high priority, how does each light know to snap back OUT of white to whatever it was before?
  • In your White Flag cuelist each cue should only contain the fixture being flagged white.

Cue 1 fixture 1
    Cue 2 fixture 2

And it should only contain color parameters.

Then,
    Under the cuelist Options select CUE ONLY.

Set Fade, Chase, Release times accordingly.
  • Chris nailed it...

If list 1 is your main list with various looks, you want to build a list 2 (or any other number) with cues set up as he listed previously. The lists should have their default settings with the following exceptions:

List 1:
    Turn on 'Persist on Override'

List 2:
    Turn on 'Cue Only'
    Turn on 'Is a Chase' if you want it to automatically chase

Both Lists should probably have the same priority.

In list 2, the only information in each cue should be color information for the fixtures that you want to be white.

For example:

Cue 1 - Fixture 1 White (no other fixture information in the cue)
    Cue 2 - Fixture 2 White (no...)
    Etc.

When a cue is playing in List 1 and you fire List 2, the first cue in List 2 will take over the color for fixture 1 because the lists have the same priority and the Latest (LTP) color will take priority. Fixture 1 should be white. Fixture 1 will turn white using the cue time of List 2/Cue 1.

When List 2 fires again, Cue 2 will fire, turning fixture 2 white in cue time. Because there is not fixture information for fixture 1 in cue 2 (and because List 2 is set to 'Cue Only'), the color information for fixture 1 will not track and will therefore be released. Because List 1 is set to Persist on Override, List 1 will take over the released values and return them to their previous state (whatever they should be at in List 1). The color information will be released based on the Release Time set in List 2.

I hope that gives you a little better feel for how that works. You can play with Priority Levels and various other cue list options to change the way this behaves. If this chase is supposed to be fired with a specific cue or cues, you might want to try firing the second cue list using a comment macro in a cue on the main cue list.

Good luck and have a great show!

Phil
  • "Cue only" is working fine so far.
    But what if I have 200 lights, and I want only one to turn white and the rest to stay red?

Do I have to program a chase with 200 steps or is there another way to give it more of a random look.
    Just like if you would fan the offset of e.g. a blue step?
Related