IO Gear usb to VGA problem

XightingXighting Registered User
Hello,

I'm the proud owner of a Road Hog. I have a build in usb to VGA device from IO gear. It does not send the picture to the external monitor.

If i look in Control Panel>Diagnostics>view usb devices it shows 2 devices; Road Hog Front panel and The super widget. I think this is the io gear unit??

I have also tried to restart the console with the VGA connector in or out the console and enable/disable the external monitor.

Who can help me??

Comments

• Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    edited December 2010
    Paul

Does your IO Gear USB to VGA have Display Link silkscreened on it?
    If it does please make sure you are runnning the latest image version for your Road Hog.
    The latest image is v 1.6.0
  • XightingXighting Registered User
    edited December 2010
    You mean the green LED? It is lit..

The device has worked before. Because of that it's an odd situation.
    I've replaced the internal (from the IOGear to chassis VGA outlet) VGA cable, so that's not the problem.
    I will check what version of device it is tomorrow (in 24 hrs).

For now thank you very much! I hope you will reply tomorrow also..
    edited December 2010
    Paul

We have two versions of the USB to VGA adaptor.
    Check the device (the grey box, usb to vga) and see if it has a silkscreen that reads Display Link certified.
    If it does you have the newer one and will need to be running the new image.
    If it was working but now is not, please save your show file and re-image your desk.
    Then upgrade to 3.1.7.
    edited December 2010
    Michael,

Finally I had time.. The device has no such description as you said. It says 'USB to SVGA Adapter'. Model GUC2015V.

I have re-imaged the Hog and upgraded to 3.1.7. Image version is 1.6.0.

I will now test the device out of the Hog (because it was build-in).

Thanks.
    edited December 2010
    Now I have checked everything. Not working.

A couple of things:

- the device works with the driver from the iogear website on my macbook
    - the device doesn't work on the Hog, but it does get a signal (the green led is lit, the 3rd screen reacts because it is turning on when I put in the USB), but there's nog Hog screen on it (when I move a window it will not appear on the 3rd screen).
    - My thought: The driver in the image isn't working??
    edited December 2010
    Ok. Now I have the trick. This is really strange,

- When I put the USB-VGA device in my Macbook it works
    - Then I put the USB-VGA device in the Hog with resolution set on lowest and then it works!
    - Then I disable the external monitor to test if it works finally
    - When I enable the external monitor again it does not work anymore.

So it looks like I give the device a kind of 'boost' with my Macbook and then it works on the Hog. Strange situation. I think the IOgear is malfunctioning...

Also strange: I cannot do a full restore! It is not in the option list. Only 'Partial' and 'make a bootable disk'.
    edited January 2011
    Paul

It sounds like you are tring to perform a restore from your hard drive, this is correct in that we only allow you to create a bootable stick or a partial restore.
    In order to perform a full install you must burn a CD and use and external drive.
    Or make a USB stick bootable and put the files on the stick.

Please perform a FULL Install of the OS and try the usb to vga again.
    You can download the image here:
    http://www.flyingpig.com/phpscripts/roadhog/recovery.php
    You will need your serial number of your Road Hog.
    edited January 2011
    Michael,

I've only tried to restore from a bootable USB. In the way the manual said. I don't have the Full Boar so no CD-drive is available.

I believe the first time I tried to restore I saw there was a Full Restore option...

I just follow the manual that says to press F8 when the boot screen appears for a second.
    edited January 2011
    Just make sure you perform a FULL INSTALL.
    Please keep in mind this will delete all of your show files so make sure to back them up first.
  • WHoogWHoog Registered User
    edited January 2011
    I am also having this problem with our roadhog expansion wing.

It was working in december without any problems.
    Our theatre closed from christmas till the 2nd of january and since the new year it doesn't work anymore.
    I haven't tried the full install option yet because the roadhog is going on service next wednesday.
    So i will try wednesday with a different hog.

Greetings
    edited January 2011
    Wouter

Is the Green Led lite up on the USB to VGA Adaptor?
    Is the Monitor enabled?
    edited January 2011
    At startup sometimes the roadhog doesn't "see" the external vga adapter. When i plug it out and in again the roadhog is telling me that there is an extra screen. (the green led is lit)

I tested the roadhog wing with the iogear adapter on my laptop and everything is working.

When i plug it into the roadhog there is no output on the screen, the touchscreen calibration shows me 3 screens to calibrate but it is displayed on the roadhog's 2 main screens and not on the wing.
    Enable/disable multiple times doesn't help.

The roadhog is running xpe version 1.6 en software 3.1.7

Tomorrow the roadhog is going to be switched with another so i will test it again.
    edited January 2011
    Wouter

Please make sure all the USB cables are plugged into your desk.
    The cable for the VGA to USB adaptor and the USB cable for the RH Playback wing.

If you are still having problems disconnect everything from your desk and reimage.
    Please keep in mind this will delete all your show files so back them up before performing a full install.
    edited January 2011
    Yes i already did reimage and always booting up with everything connected. But i will let you know what happens tomorrow if the other desk is here.
    edited January 2011
    When you reimaged your desk did you perform a FULL install (from an external media source) or did you perform a restrore from the Hard Drive?
    edited January 2011
    FULL install from bootable USB flash drive
  • AndrisAndris Registered User
    edited March 2011
    I am having the same problem here after updating my xpe image.
    I just did a full restore via USB to 1.6.0 from 1.3.0 an upgraded to 3.1.9 (from 3.1.6 under the original 1.3 xpe) and the IOgear VGA adapter will not work now. I think I have the older version, I remember getting it as soon as the feature became available. It does not say display link on it.
    I cannot get the display to come up at any resolution.
    The cursor goes off the left internal monitor and I can click on palettes that are supposed to be there as normal, but the display is black.
  • AndrisAndris Registered User
    edited May 2011
    So I did a full 1.6.0 restore again and the external monitor worked for a bit and now it doesn't.
    Could this be a driver timing issue? Is the IOGear driver on the xpe image or with the hog3pc software? This is most frusrating and I'd like to find a way to get the external going again.