Wholehog III & Superwidget via DP-8000?

Just had someone tell me that you can hook a superwidget to a Wholehog III if there is a DP-8000 connected. Can someone please verify that?

Thanks.

Travis Slyter
Ruehling Associates
  • You can hook up a superwidget to the USB ports on the back of the DP8000 to expand outputs up to 16 total universes but never will you be able to hook up a USB Superwidget directly to a Hog3. That only works with Full Boar and Road Hog.
  • You can't hook up a Superwidget to a Road Hog as it's limited to 4 universes. I know you can't hook up a SW to a Hog III directly, but it was news to me that you could hook it to a DP-8000.

Is that really adding any outputs or is it simply acting like a DMX expansion module letting you have XLR connections rather than Art-Net for some of the 16 universes? Thanks.

Travis
  • To clarify,

The super widget will function with a Road Hog, but only in an "obscure" manner. It will NOT expand the 4 universes of the desk, but you can "double map" the four universes to have them output on both the desk and super widget XLR connectors.

However you CAN use the super widget to expand your universes on a Road Hog Full Boar, Hog iPC, or Hog 3PC. The Wholehog 3 requires an external processor for DMX thus the reason you can not plug a widget or super widget directly into the console.

Also for further clarification about the DP8000. It is always capable of processing 16 universes of DMX, but there are only 8 XLR outs on the unit. You can get to the other 8 via Art-Net, a DP8000 Expander, or by the use of Widgets. In all cases, the DP8000 is still doing the processing and the other items are just providing output.
  • To expand on what Chris said, you can connect the following devices to the USB ports on the back of a DP8000

-Single Universe Widget
    -Super Widget (4 universes)
    -DP8000 Expander (8 universes)

In the DP8000 configuration window, you can setup each DMX port on the widget to output any of the 16 universes that are available from the DP8000. In most cases you'll setup a Super Widget to be universes 9-12. You can even set the widget up to duplicate the 8 built-in DMX outputs (I jokingly refer to this as "The world's most expensive opto-splitter").

Technically you can attach as many widgets/expanders as you want, and map them to the 16 universes.
  • Thanks for the information. Again I knew that the Superwidget could only plug in directly to the iPC and Full Boar. DPs are required for the Hog III since day 1 and that's not news either.

BUT using a SW with the Road Hog and the DP-8000 was big news to me as this is the first myself and many others have heard of that. Thanks for the update.

Travis Slyter
    Ruehling Associates
  • If you're doing this a lot, you may want to look at the DP8000 Expander. It's a more economical way to get hard line DMX from the last 8 outputs. The downside of the Expander is that it only works with the DP8000.
  • Travis,

You said "BUT using a SW with the Road Hog and the DP-8000 was big news to me as this is the first myself and many others have heard of that. Thanks for the update."

FYI.. the full details are (and have been since v3.0) in the user manual/help in section 12.3.6
Related