Midi controller

DannyDanny Registered User, Hog Beta
Hello,

I'm a newbie in the whole midi bussines. But i'm looking for a midi controller to fire ques in live situations. Is there someone who could give some advise what kind of hardware to use.

I found the following on the Internet. And thought that it would be a nice feature next to my hog 3.

http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controller/launchpad

Or should I be looking for something totally different???

And I assume that when I have the right hardware it's as easy as just connecting and assign things to different midi notes.

Thanks in advance for your advice....

Greetings,

Danny

Comments

• Abbe RPM Digital LightingAbbe RPM Digital Lighting Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Hi Danny,

It is a nice piece of kit, but it does not have a standard 5pin din connector.
    That is what you need to connect easily to the HogIII.

A product i have yet to try is the block
    http://www.lividinstruments.com/hardware_block.php
    It has all the features needed to connect and trigg scenes in the hog.

/Abbe

Good luck
  • DannyDanny Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited November 2010
    Hi abbe,

Those are the suggestions I was hoping for. Looks nice and even has nice hog style blue buttons..

If anyone else has other options, please let me know.

Greetings,

Danny
  • snowmaniac153snowmaniac153 Registered User
    edited December 2010
    could you have this plugged into your computer and run hog PC?? work almost as a wing?
    edited December 2010
    Well, since the Release 3.1.7 we now allow midi notes to trigg the Hog. This means you can connect any compatible midi controller.
    Specific for your question is that you need a MIDI interface to connect to the Hog PC, like the Midiman UNO or similar.
    The Block could then work as a Executor wing :)

There is nothing replacing the Wings, since they work on USB connection and is much faster and native to our system.
  • SanderLSanderL Registered User
    edited April 2011
    Hi Danny,

Did you tried the controller yet? Or others, do you tried a good midipad?

Hoi Danny,

Heb je de controller al geprobeerd? Of heb je misschien andere geprobeerd die goed zijn?

Greetings, Sander
  • Matteopio.olivieriMatteopio.olivieri Registered User
    edited April 2011
    HELLO, I HAVE FOUND A PRODUCT THAT COSTS MUCH LESS, AND MAYBE THAT WORKS WITH HOGPC .... Costs around 70euro ... WHO KNOWS IF IT WORKS, VI Send
    http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2010/03/27/icon-intros-icontroller-istage-icreative-idj/
    edited April 2011
    HOWEVER, this other controller has a native port MIDI5PIN DIRECT CONNECTION TO THE HOG, AND COSTS ARE VERY LOW, APPROXIMATELY 100EUR

http://www.faderfox.de/mark/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=117&Itemid=222

http://www.faderfox.de/mark/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=116&Itemid=219
  • DannyDanny Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited April 2011
    Hi Sander,

Im using my iPad with a miditrigger app at the moment in combination with the line 6 midi adapter.. Works great for the few times that I use it..
    and the midi block is a bit too expensive for me at the moment..

Greetings
    Danny
    edited April 2011
    Hi,

The Faderfox LX2 looks interesting, lots of buttons, but is says its 250€?

And whilst this unit is "cheaper" than a Ios device / Android os device the later can be used for more things than with the Hog, is that not worth a bit more money?

It would be nice of you to share what you want to achive, then we could much better understand and suggest a solution.
    edited May 2011
    What about a keyboard? Will it work?

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/keycontrol25xt/

It has midi out, with a din5 connector.

I would love to have a midi controller for making colorcuelists, gobo cuelists and so on. Everything where i don`t have to use faders for.
    edited May 2011
    Hi,

This keyboard looks fine to do that. Just connect the midi connector and power the keyboard with a external adapter.

Then choose in witch way to control Midi Notes by our spec and set the KeyBoard on the right MidiChannel.

Below is a link to the implementation:
    http://www.flyingpig.com/support/downloads/software/gut_3.1.7_%28Build_2826%29.fpspkg

My suggestion would be to use the Macro´s, that will allow for added flexibility.

Let us know how it works out :)
  • serdar kastasserdar kastas Registered User
    edited May 2011
    I hope the button wing will come as soon as possible ...:-( solution to very challenging. midi cod,trig, connect, box , cable, i thingk solution % wholehog exec button wing.. for me nice configuration 1 main console 1 playback wing touch screen and if you 1 exec button wing touch screen...( i have Rhfb and pbwing)
    edited May 2011
    Hi,

Are you aware that you can connect a touch screen and put a Scene View on it, then use them as executors?
    On a 17" monitor, you get ~150 executors available.

Is that a solution for you?
    edited May 2011
    hi. i want to say; rhfb usb execbttn wing, not midi. while on the 50 button is enough (choose&go and flash programmable) according to me it would be nicer.like ma exec on the console and chamsys exec wing,and maxxyz button modul..
    edited May 2011
    He has a point there. It would be great to have an executor wing. Like the playback wing, but without the faders. Best would be 30 executors, 3 rows of 10. And then a nice price! Not more then 5000 euro`s, like a playback wing.
    edited May 2011
    Well, i have my midi keyboard. Now starting with it, but it doesn`t work yet. So when somebody has advice, it would great if you share it! :)
  • snowmaniac153snowmaniac153 Registered User
    edited May 2011
    So with the new midi update. I could buy a midi device and make it be able to fire cues and such.

How do you make the console see the midi device?? how do you assign the cue to the button?

Anyone have any keyboards that are working well??
    how about this on?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Korg-nanoKEY-Travel-USB-MIDI-Controller-Brand-New-/380338656853?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588df35655#ht_2472wt_1139
    edited May 2011
    Hi Showmaniac, SanderL

The KORG you linked to will not work it is MIDI over USB, witch we generally do not support.(Unless with HOG PC)

The Midi device in question to use need a 5 pin DIN connector with MIDI Out.
    It can then be connected to.

Then to use MIDI Notes you have to activate that in the MIDI Settings in Network.
    There you can also decide witch Note that does what in your console.

There are slight differences between our controllers implementation in Midi Hardware, so be sure you read the manual for your console.

I hope this helps, if not, please be more specific than "it does not work"... :)
    edited May 2011
    here's how to use the midi ... . here is what happens to connect the hog with a sequencer-midi
    the video is on youtube at this link ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX76WlEk8lk&feature=related
    :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:
    edited May 2011
    :rolleyes:
    hi;
    video by me.. output Rhfb midi string via vt.keyboard.
    edited May 2011
    Well, congratulations for the inventive! :-)
    :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
    edited May 2011
    I am working now on it. In Network i said that midi channel 1 is using macro`s, note 1 is GL1. In Cuelist 1 (cue 1) i said in Macro that GL1 is the macro.

It is not working?
    For the first time i tried to open macro`s, via the button on the desk (macro), and the desk (IPC) says 'macro`s not implemented'.

Who can help me out?

Thank you!
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited May 2011
    SanderL wrote: »
    For the first time i tried to open macro`s, via the button on the desk (macro), and the desk (IPC) says 'macro`s not implemented'.

The Macro key is for Keystoke Macros which are not yet implemented in v3.1.9 and earlier......good news is that this will be done in the upcoming 3.2 release.

Also good news is that you don't need Keystroke Macros for this......you need a Comment Macro wich is found in the Comment column to the far right of the Cuelist Window.

Hope this helps. :)
    edited May 2011
    With the macro`s makes sense now.

Now the midi problem. As mentiond above, i have a midi keyboard from ESI. Connected all, when pushing a key, i see on the back of the IPC a LED flickering with Midi In.

In the desk i have the following settings:

Device Id = 1
    Device Group Id =112

Command format = 01; General Lighting

MSC in
    Notes In

Then the midi mapping:

Midi Channel 1 = Comment Macro`s
    All notes set to macro GL3

But ofcourse it doesn`t work ;)
    edited May 2011
    Hi,

You seem to have most things right now.

But for the Macro to work you need to "fill" it with a command like
    GL:1 = Go List 1
    Get to where the Midi Macros are in the Midi pane and mark the space after, press SET and you will see all available commands.

Work now?
    edited May 2011
    Just awake, but i will test it today.

With the macro, when i use it this way in a scene, then it works...
    edited May 2011
    No, not working.

When i press Setup, then Control Panel and then Midi, is it right i see nothing there?

Edit:

Trying now with Hog3PC, and an midi monitor. In PC i can select my keyboard, but still doesn`t working.
    edited May 2011
    Hi Sander,

That is not the place :)

Press SetUp - Network - Settings

Now you have a Window who says Console Settings, With Midi / TimeCode / MIDI Note Mapping.

First enable Midi Notes In, then Choose Midi Note Mapping, Then for Channel 1 select Comment Macros.
    Then open the comment Macro Field, select a note field and press set.
    Now you should have list of commands like: GL:1

It also would help if you describe what you are trying to do... :)

Works now?
    edited May 2011
    Hi,

That is what i already have done. Then i put macro GL1 (cause i cant get : in it?) in all the notes. But it doesn`t work. On the back the desk says that he is getting midi in.

I wanna have for example a colorcuelist on the midi keyboard.
    edited June 2011
    Got it working now with Hog3PC... But a question. Is it possible to have desk channels working with it. For example i have some blinders. I wanna have a full on of them on my keyboard. I program a cue with them full on. Then i give a comment macro with a go in my keyboard, and make a button with a release. But that doesn`t work. Because i have them on a fader just now for programming i can see that it works, but the value doesn`t go to 100%.

Does it have to be on an fader, or is there a way to work around?
    edited June 2011
    Hi Sander,

Glad it works now.

I think for this you can use SCENES instead of CUELISTS.

I have done a small show witch should be doing what you want it too.
    I can mail it to you if you give me your email adress.
    edited June 2011
    Hi Abbe,

Great idea about the scenes! That will gonna work.

Today we messed around to see how we get it working, because with a midi cable in the IPC still doesn`t work. What we will do is:

Midi keyboard -> laptop with Hog3PC -> IPC. Fast to set up, and instead a external screen to set my programmer on, i will have it on the laptop.

My e-mailadres is sanderlahaije at hotmail dot nl. Thanks! :)