Fitting a solid state drive?

skierskier Registered User
Hi, wondered if anyone could shed some light on this.

I want to fit a solid state drive to my Roadhog. I am aware of the possible speed issues but want to fit one as my desk got dropped yesterday and the hard drive is not well and want to prevent issues should something like this happen again.

Now, the Roadhog drive is IDE and all the SSD I have seen are SATA.

Will A SATA drive connect to the Roadhog motherboard and be recognized and install the operating system ok?

Any info greatly appreciated!

S

Comments

• rockinbonesrockinbones Registered User
    edited November 2010
    If there is any overlaping info for the IPC i would like to hear about it as well.
  • stephenwykerstephenwyker Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited November 2010
    There have been many forum talks about this. Bottom line, Hes doesn't support it because of the limitations on write performance for the large number of small files hog III utializes.. Just do a search.
  • skierskier Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for you reply, but if you read my original post this is not what I have asked!
  • samuraidsamuraid Registered User
    edited November 2010
    From a technical standpoint, if the Roadhog used SATA, then it would be possible to connect a SSD and image the contents of a normal Roadhog drive to the SSD.

However, Windows XPe does not have TRIM support, so you would potentially have very unreliable write performance as the drive got used.

As for IDE SSDs, I haven't seen any. You are probably out of luck there.

If you want the reliability of an SSD, your best bet it to build a portable Hog3PC machine, running Windows 7 (which does support TRIM).
  • edited November 2010
    Early versions of the Road Hog shipped with IDE drives, and newer units have SATA drives. You should be able to replace the IDE drive with a SATA drive. You'll need to boot off of a USB stick or CD and re-install the OS after you install the drive.

The situation is more complicated with the iPC. It also shipped with both IDE and SATA over its lifetime, but not all of them can accept a SATA drive. The P5B or AIMB-562 motherboards should work with SATA, but older versions will not.

Just a reminder that we'll only officially support drives purchased from us. You can probably get off-the-shelf drives to work, but it's not guaranteed.

You can see my comments on SSDs in this thread:
    http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=9090
    edited November 2010
    Thanks Eric!
    edited December 2010
    Had a go at installing a Solid State Drive and get the following error when installing the image of memory stick. It gets to the point of asking if you want to do a clean install or preserve show files. Obviously there are no show files to preserve so selecting clean install.

The Script has received the error CODE 5
    from command : cmd/c diskpart/s THPart2.txt

Does this mean anything to anyone??
  • edited December 2010
    The diskpart command is used to create partitions, so it means the installer is failing when it's trying to partition the drive. How big is the SSD you're using? Is it the same kind of drive (SATA or IDE) and plugged into the same port?
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for the reply.

The drive is 64gb. It is plugged into a SATA socket on the motherboard but the original drive was IDE. The drive is showing up in the bios and when you press f8 for the boot menu it shows up there along with the boot memory stick option.

Is there anything in the bios under the drive I should be looking for?

Cheers

S
  • edited December 2010
    What kind of console? Not all consoles support SATA drives.
    edited December 2010
    The console is a Roadhog.
  • edited December 2010
    The Roadhog should support a SATA drive. Do you have a standard SATA drive you can try? First make sure it works with that.

I believe the smallest drive we ever shipped in the RH was 80gig; It may be that the installer can't handle a driver smaller than that, but I'm not really sure.

If you get it installed on a standard drive, you could try using a tool like ghost to clone the standard drive to the SSD.

None of this is officially supported, I'm just throwing out some ideas that may help you.
  • quinnquinn Registered User
    edited December 2010
    skier wrote: »

5 - A command syntax error occurred. The script failed because an object was improperly selected or was invalid for use with that command.

so, which diskpart commands are scripted by THPart2.txt, and, of those, which have hard-coded parameters that are likely to be invalid when an IDE optical drive without media, a (<80G) SATA SSD and a USB MSD are all enumerated at the same time?
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for the replys.

I made a clone copy of the original drive that I still had laying around and it worked! All seemed really well, boot time greatly improved and new shows were unpacking in record time until i tried to update it to the latest software version and had the exact same problem appear.

I don't think I have the patience to keep trying to get this to work unless anyone comes up with any other solutions.

thanks all!
  • mikeversmikevers Registered User
    edited April 2012
    skier wrote: »
    Had a go at installing a Solid State Drive and get the following error when installing the image of memory stick. It gets to the point of asking if you want to do a clean install or preserve show files. Obviously there are no show files to preserve so selecting clean install.

Something like this? (see image in attachment)
    So what's eventually the best solution to resolve this problem when re-installing Road Hog software to a new hard drive when using the system restore bootable USB key?
  • stagelitesstagelites Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited April 2012
    Other World Computing makes IDE SSD's. I bought one and was able to get it to work on my iPC. I did it as a test, i cloned the drive though from the original IDE drive.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_Extreme_Pro/Legacy_Edition