It's those darn cyberlights again.....

Ok, so I have several (about 16) cybers of various flavors. I've got pretty good at troubleshooting them over the years, but we recently acquired one that was not working. Looked like someone had started rewiring after a power board burn out (bad ballast tap connectors, bad lamp cables etc) but they never finished the job. I have fixed/replaced the bad bits on the power board, and it runs fine in another unit.

This unit wont home at all. It powers up, and works OK with a known good logic. The logic that came with it has had the 5v regulators replaced because one of the 5v rails was not coming up, but it seems more problematic than that. The "switched" 5v that soft starts off a signal from the processor never goes hot, and I just don't have the gear handy to trace the logic fault through the circuit. Though I think I have narrowed it down to this problem. Of course, I don't even know if the CPU is starting up because I don't know exactly what the pin concerned does..... and as I write I don't have the schematics handy to tell you the exact details.....

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Andy
:dunno:
  • No-one got any ideas to weigh in on this one? I would really appreciate the help.

New logic boards are about $1700... we can't really afford that for this unit right now....

Andy
  • [QUOTE=bitbrat;49968]Ok, so I have several (about 16) cybers of various flavors. I've got pretty good at troubleshooting them over the years, but we recently acquired one that was not working. Looked like someone had started rewiring after a power board burn out (bad ballast tap connectors, bad lamp cables etc) but they never finished the job. I have fixed/replaced the bad bits on the power board, and it runs fine in another unit.

This unit wont home at all. It powers up, and works OK with a known good logic. The logic that came with it has had the 5v regulators replaced because one of the 5v rails was not coming up, but it seems more problematic than that. The "switched" 5v that soft starts off a signal from the processor never goes hot, and I just don't have the gear handy to trace the logic fault through the circuit. Though I think I have narrowed it down to this problem. Of course, I don't even know if the CPU is starting up because I don't know exactly what the pin concerned does..... and as I write I don't have the schematics handy to tell you the exact details.....

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Andy
    :dunno:

Nothing familiar, but what do the various status LEDs show on the logic card when this unit is trying to come up?

- Tim
Related